• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

HeroQuest Card Game - Classic Edition mod?

Discuss general topics relating to HeroQuest that don't fit well in the categories below.

Re: HeroQuest Card Game - Classic Edition mod?

Postby lestodante » September 2nd, 2021, 6:16 pm

I posted pics of ALL the cards already on page 3 of that topic.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Kurgan » September 3rd, 2021, 1:11 pm

Ah yes, so you did... thanks for doing that! |_P

As you proved in that thread, these cards were slightly taller than the EU heroquest cards (but who cares, print them US game card size). Again, this might help anyone who wants to take on this project:

Backgrounds of the cards are the generic "yellowing parchment"
background of the character cards, but also a version that is
kind of a bloody red. they all have dark brown borders around the outside.

Other cards use a background that looks like gray stone squares
from the board itself in a 3x5 pattern with a black border around
the edges

Artwork Images needed for substitutions (from classic HQ; all templates that exist on the Inn pages):

via the NA game system:

Cloud of Chaos (Chaos Spell)
Command (Chaos Spell)
Fear (Chaos Spell)
Tempest (Chaos Spell)
Firestorm (Chaos Spell)
Lightning Bolt (Chaos Spell)
Sleep (Chaos Spell)
Rust (Chaos Spell)

Wandering Monster (Treasure card)
Heroic Brew (Treasure card)
Potion of Healing (Treasure card)

Fire of Wrath (Hero Fire Spell)
Water of Healing (Hero Water Spell)

Map Icons (like in Heroscribe) from Quest maps:

Chaos Warrior head (dark gray background)
Orc head (greenish background, like the map icon)
Mummy head (tinted yellow with brownish background)

Skull (dice image)

Door (image of the "Iron Door" from ROTWL/KK piece)

Hunted - crossed swords image (light gray with dark gray background), could be found in Heroscribe's custom
images or maybe the map symbol of a "Scout" from WOM or BQP

Ball of flame symbol (could use Chaos spell image or another Heroscribe
custom icon of a comet-like fireball with a circle behind it)
yellow/gold drawing on a red background

Hazard symbol (looks like a falling block trap symbol more than anything)

From the EU base game:

Broadsword (Equipment card)

Infected Bite ... ? the "Poison" (WOM, BQP) wouldn't quite work for this. the equivalent would be a picture of a fimir's face perhaps from the monster card, or perhaps some "wound" image like from the combat cards of Ron Shirts, etc.

My thought would be "re-create the game using classic elements" so it looks like something that might have been made in 1990, instead of 2020.
Below are some images from HeroScribe's "All in One" icon pack. Credits are on heroscribe.org.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby HispaZargon » September 3rd, 2021, 5:23 pm

Kurgan wrote:My thought would be "re-create the game using classic elements" so it looks like something that might have been made in 1990, instead of 2020.

Yeah, I agree that's the point.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
Librarian-Analyst
HispaZargon
Inn's Guardian

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: Español
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby lestodante » September 3rd, 2021, 6:14 pm

Kurgan wrote:Infected Bite ... ? the "Poison" (WOM, BQP) wouldn't quite work for this. the equivalent would be a picture of a fimir's face perhaps from the monster card, or perhaps some "wound" image like from the combat cards of Ron Shirts, etc.

Infected Bite card says: "Your Hero may not heal during his action phase".
Mind Blast from EQP could work fine for a spellcaster unable to heal himself.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Kurgan » September 3rd, 2021, 8:51 pm

Ah, creative (Using MindBlast)! Also the text probably ought to be one or more of the classic HQ fonts (available at the inn) like Gaze, Romic, HeroQuestScript or Aldine721 BT.

Then just play it with the new deck(s) and your classic HQ white dice... ta da!

There are 64 cards, is that right? (counting the images from the pictures you posted), and they all have, on the reverse side (the "back") a dark brown background with the golden border (the one from the game system box) and the familiar "stone" HQ logo and the words "card game" below it. Edit: 54x79mm, but again, just use US Game Card size (1 mm shorter than the NA cards but same width). Give them a superior smooth finish since presumably you'll be handling, dealing and shuffling these a lot more than the regular HQ cards (and hardcores can always put them in sleeves if desired).
Last edited by Kurgan on September 4th, 2021, 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby lestodante » September 4th, 2021, 3:42 am

54x79

Rewards:
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Dstinct » September 21st, 2021, 2:49 pm

Sorry for disappearing. Day job at the studio was crazy and then I took a vacation to unplug from computers for a bit. Yeah. My intention was never to directly copy the new stuff. I just didn't want to have to scour for art assets for the old stuff. I also wanted to change the card size to standard (63 × 88 mm) as it's just easier to work with. I was thinking of just designing the game to sit in one of those old FFG deck boxes with the token holder on the bottom for portability. If you make the door and the character cards all 63 × 88 mm as well. it sits nicely, and you can stick the tokens and dice in the bottom. I also wanted to make the back of the cards look nicer, like the front of the box or something, rather than just the sideways logo which looks weird since I would have the deck sitting portrait style to flip, so the logo would always be sideways.

My initial design work for myself was a mashup of everything. I even looked for inspiration in the doomed 25th project as some of the art assets for the cards were nicely designed. I'm not looking to create something that will be thrown online to make a buck, but something that can be thrown on TTS (at a lower rez), or sent to a printer on someone's own volition for their own enjoyment because I don't think this would ever get released with old art, and to be honest, I don't think this game will actually get a proper release now that its almost October and no restock has shown up at Amazon or any game store.

I've already vectorized the newer dice symbols for a buddy who wanted them done, so now I just need to get a clean set of the older ones to put together. I also have a complete list of the cards as well.
Dstinct

Forum Language: British English
Hero:

Postby Odanan » September 21st, 2021, 4:55 pm

EDIT: some cards for the HeroQuest Card Game "Demake":

I changed some effects (for diversity) and card titles/themes (for better accuracy). And added 1 more "good" card (Potion of Strength) to round up the number.
Last edited by Odanan on September 22nd, 2021, 4:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Odanan

Chaos Warrior
Chaos Warrior

Hero:

Postby Dstinct » September 21st, 2021, 8:20 pm

It was a little slower today waiting for revisions, so I did some sorting of resources. I downloaded all the art assets that were recommended and grabbed the fonts. I grabbed a high rez logo and some art assets online. I knocked this exploratory card back idea out today. The border is just a place holder, and I don't know if I'm going to keep the glow/magic on the tome that I copied off the existing art, or just go back to the original. I was just trying to find a reason why the face would be illuminated like it was. I resized/moved the orc on the right so it wasn't as cut off and allowed the composition to look more balanced. I think I may go back and work on the wizard a bit more, perhaps even painting over him as the original image was quite pixelated. Not sure how I want to handle the background yet. I've managed to find quite a lot of good assets to start with in the Heroscribe rough assets. Only thing I don't have is a good undead icon that holds up as well as some of the other icons. Everything looks pretty cartoony. I may go with a different skull instead of a mummy. As for the falling rock, there is a DwarfQuest.GrayFallingRock_EU falling rock, or we could go a totally different route and just pick a different trap that isn't a falling rock.

Dstinct

Forum Language: British English
Hero:

Postby Odanan » September 21st, 2021, 8:42 pm

Is that your box art? It's gorgeous!
Odanan

Chaos Warrior
Chaos Warrior

Hero:

PreviousNext

Return to General HeroQuest Discussion