• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Enhanced difficulty using Japanese damage rules

Discuss general topics relating to HeroQuest that don't fit well in the categories below.

Enhanced difficulty using Japanese damage rules

Postby Karlssonontheroof » July 27th, 2021, 2:45 pm

Hi has anyone experience playing the Japanese damage rules?

That is, in order to kill a monster all the body points must be removed during that turn.

I am thinking of upping the difficulty of the main quest line and think this might be worth trying out (US monsters)

Would a better way be letting monsters defend on white shields :whiteshield: or

Dark Company rules (if any black defend dice :blackshield: are rolled all skulls :skull: are blocked.
Karlssonontheroof

Skeleton
Skeleton

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Enhanced difficulty using Japanese damage rules

Postby Super Saiyan Musashi » July 28th, 2021, 10:38 am

Curious. Would:
Karlssonontheroof wrote:Dark Company rules (if any black defend dice :blackshield: are rolled all skulls :skull: are blocked.

work both ways (ie both Heroes and Monsters get a 'Full Block' on a single :blackshield:)?

Are you planning on being the DM, or the Heroes?
Super Saiyan Musashi

Fimir
Fimir

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:

Postby HispaZargon » July 28th, 2021, 11:24 am

Karlssonontheroof wrote:I am thinking of upping the difficulty of the main quest line and think this might be worth trying out (US monsters)

Hi, just one comment about this. The Japanese damage rule was designed for monsters with the Japanese Edition atributes, where i.e. Chaos Warriors and Gargoyle had only 2 body points in the Japanese monster cards instead of 3 as in NA rules. You will probably had noticed that but, if not and you use NA monsters atributes, at the begining of the basic system campaign only the Barbarian could defeat them since the rest of heroes only have 1 or 2 combat dice for Attack, which I think is too difficult.

Anyway, of course I think the Japanese rule is quite interesting to be used and it should not be too difficult to implement in a balanced way with some adjustments.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
Librarian-Analyst
HispaZargon
Inn's Guardian

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: Español
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » July 28th, 2021, 3:58 pm

Special use (potion/spell/skill/artifact effect) German colored dice that have some faces with multiple skulls might come in handy with this rule variant. Interesting stuff!

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Karlssonontheroof » July 29th, 2021, 8:25 pm

Super Saiyan Musashi wrote:Curious. Would:
Karlssonontheroof wrote:Dark Company rules (if any black defend dice :blackshield: are rolled all skulls :skull: are blocked.

work both ways (ie both Heroes and Monsters get a 'Full Block' on a single :blackshield:)?

Are you planning on being the DM, or the Heroes?

No, does not work both ways.
I will play DM.

HispaZargon wrote:
Karlssonontheroof wrote:I am thinking of upping the difficulty of the main quest line and think this might be worth trying out (US monsters)

Hi, just one comment about this. The Japanese damage rule was designed for monsters with the Japanese Edition atributes, where i.e. Chaos Warriors and Gargoyle had only 2 body points in the Japanese monster cards instead of 3 as in NA rules. You will probably had noticed that but, if not and you use NA monsters atributes, at the begining of the basic system campaign only the Barbarian could defeat them since the rest of heroes only have 1 or 2 combat dice for Attack, which I think is too difficult.

Anyway, of course I think the Japanese rule is quite interesting to be used and it should not be too difficult to implement in a balanced way with some adjustments.

Good points. I think the tweak I could do would be that a monster is defeated if all the BP are removed after all heroes have had their turn. This would force cooperation, and hurt the door blocking strategy.
Karlssonontheroof

Skeleton
Skeleton

Hero:

Postby Super Saiyan Musashi » July 29th, 2021, 10:14 pm

Karlssonontheroof wrote:No, does not work both ways.
I will play DM.

I see. Well, ultimately it doesn't matter to me how anyone out there plays, but I would advise getting consent of your players for something like this, and making sure they know what the "canonical" rules are.

Personally, I wouldn't want to play that way.
Super Saiyan Musashi

Fimir
Fimir

Hero:

Postby Pancho » July 30th, 2021, 2:43 am

Monsters only being defeated when lose all their BP that turn sounds very interesting. Much better than the Dark Company rules or letting monsters defend on white shields.
If you say that its after all Hero turns for that round then that should give them a chance against the US edition :chaoswarrior: and :gargoyle: . You might hit a few problems when you encounter ogres and the sorcerers of Morcar etc. Needs a few play testing sessions I think. If they prove to be too hard to kill then one possible solution is to class all monsters with 5 or more BP as being “special characters”, which lose BP cumulatively in the usual manner.

Rewards:
Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges.
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Karlssonontheroof » July 30th, 2021, 11:27 am

Good idea
Karlssonontheroof

Skeleton
Skeleton

Hero:

Postby TVC-15 » July 31st, 2021, 1:33 pm

Personally i'm a huge fan of letting monsters defend with the white shields (especially with the UK BPs, but also with the US ones). Sometimes the heroes get bogged down, but i think it works great. I didnt even know about the Japanese variant, i'm very tempted to give them a try.
TVC-15

Forum Language: Svenska
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar

Postby Karlssonontheroof » July 31st, 2021, 4:05 pm

If you do plsytest please let me know.

Have you tried using Dark Company rules? (If a single check shield is rolled when all skulls are blocked).
Karlssonontheroof

Skeleton
Skeleton

Hero:

Next

Return to General HeroQuest Discussion