• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Odanan's HeroQuest stuff

Discuss general topics relating to HeroQuest that don't fit well in the categories below.

Re: Odanan's HeroQuest stuff

Postby Odanan » August 31st, 2021, 11:27 am

And now, the quest book!

Odanan

Chaos Warrior
Chaos Warrior

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Kurgan » August 31st, 2021, 11:48 am

Cool, like Hendar's but with a pretty full color image (I know you edited it as well)!

Again, the lack of a faux leather cover and simulated parchment pages notwithstanding, a very presentable effort. Hasbro, take note (why should other RPG franchises have all the fun selling expensive coffee table books of their rules?).

Jokes aside, I like it, although the paper seems to have warped in a weird way there, but probably over time it could flatten out. The question is bound* to be asked... where did you have it done?

*no pun was intended here, sometimes I can't help it

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Odanan » August 31st, 2021, 12:26 pm

Kurgan wrote:Cool, like Hendar's but with a pretty full color image (I know you edited it as well)!

Again, the lack of a faux leather cover and simulated parchment pages notwithstanding, a very presentable effort. Hasbro, take note (why should other RPG franchises have all the fun selling expensive coffee table books of their rules?).

Jokes aside, I like it, although the paper seems to have warped in a weird way there, but probably over time it could flatten out. The question is bound* to be asked... where did you have it done?

*no pun was intended here, sometimes I can't help it

I ordered it with a guy in Brazil. But the file (without cover) is here: https://www.deviantart.com/odanan/art/The-Heroquest-Collection-Odanan-edition-887299822
Maybe you can find someone closer to produce it?

The warp in the pages I believe will be fixed, because the guy is letting the book in the press for some days before sending me.
Odanan

Chaos Warrior
Chaos Warrior

Hero:

Postby Kurgan » August 31st, 2021, 2:37 pm

And is that a ribbon bookmark? Nice touch.

Edit: I just realized something... in Hendar (and your) version of Rescue the Princess, the Emperor's name is "Sigmar." A little nod to WHF? Because I thought this Sigmar was some kind of ancient semi-divine type figure in that universe.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Odanan » August 31st, 2021, 8:48 pm

Kurgan wrote:And is that a ribbon bookmark? Nice touch.

Edit: I just realized something... in Hendar (and your) version of Rescue the Princess, the Emperor's name is "Sigmar." A little nod to WHF? Because I thought this Sigmar was some kind of ancient semi-divine type figure in that universe.

HeroQuest was once in the same universe as Warhammer.
Odanan

Chaos Warrior
Chaos Warrior

Hero:

Postby Kurgan » September 1st, 2021, 11:38 am

True.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Odanan » September 16th, 2021, 12:31 pm

OK, I didn't like the 3 bonus characters of the HeroQuest 2021 at all. Specially the Orc Bard and the Halfling Warlock.

A hero warlock makes little sense, considering the lore (unless a cultist of a certain renegade Chaos god...), but I think it's possible to do a cool bard character. Not an orc, of course.

Here is my take:

Starting weapon: short sword
HP: 6
MP: 4
Can't use plate mail, shield or two handed weapons

6 bard "spells" (or songs?):

- The Bard's Song* - heal 1 HP of all heroes.
- Battle Hymn* - attack bonus for all heroes.
- Call to Arms* - all heroes may do an extra movement action as long as they don't end farther away of an enemy than they were before.
- Dance of Death* - take control of all Undead monsters.
- Heroic Cry* - other heroes can make one extra attack.
- The Wizard's Last Rhymes* - another spellcaster recovers 1 used spell.

*The Bard can't defend in the turn he is "playing". Any of these spells can be "sustained" for 1 more turn, if the bard spends his next action for it.

Of course, no spell here is based on line of sight, but on the bard's location (room).

PS: bonus points for those who know where I got the spell names. ;)
Odanan

Chaos Warrior
Chaos Warrior

Hero:

Postby perkypat123 » September 18th, 2021, 2:40 pm

This is astonishing! I have recently obtained Heroquest to play with my kids, and am getting back into it. I will probably go with your version, it looks amazing.

Some questions, how many cards in total did you make? Am considering sending them off for printing. Although will need to crop all of them into original files…

Question on the rules. Is there any reason NOT to search for traps and secret doors? There is no penalty?

I know some people make rules to stop the heroes just standing in a doorway and killing all the monsters. Do you find there is no need to add any rules to prevent this?

I havent played this since the 90s, so am a bit rusty! Looking forward to resuming where I left off!
perkypat123

Goblin
Goblin

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar

Postby lestodante » September 19th, 2021, 5:19 am

It looks very good but I still prefer the soft and light original questbook.
I don't see the need to have all the quests grouped together. It is like I am going to play a quest at my friend's home for few hours and I will bring Heroquest and all the oher expansion packs with me. I'd prefer to bring only the necessary things.
Also you need a bigger table to place this one while with the standard questbook, A5 format, I need 1/4 of the space because I have the notes on the table and the map laying vertical on the screen. The heavy book will make the screen fall on the board, maybe damaging some pieces with his heavy 204 pages.
So, really good to see and to store in a library but really not practical for me.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Odanan » September 19th, 2021, 9:13 pm

perkypat123 wrote:This is astonishing! I have recently obtained Heroquest to play with my kids, and am getting back into it. I will probably go with your version, it looks amazing.

Some questions, how many cards in total did you make? Am considering sending them off for printing. Although will need to crop all of them into original files…

Question on the rules. Is there any reason NOT to search for traps and secret doors? There is no penalty?

I know some people make rules to stop the heroes just standing in a doorway and killing all the monsters. Do you find there is no need to add any rules to prevent this?

I havent played this since the 90s, so am a bit rusty! Looking forward to resuming where I left off!

I ordered the print of about 260 cards. If you want, I can zip all my cards in their original .png files and send the link for you to download. But the PDF files are in very good quality - maybe the factory you hire can print directly on that.

In the regular game, there is no reason to do not search for everything (1 treasure search for each hero, 1 trap search and 1 secret door search). But I find that all of this makes the game take TOO LONG. It's not acceptable that a game this light will take 3+ hours a quest. So, I changed some rules: just 1 treasure search for each room and the combination of the trap + secret door search into 1 action. Also, no rolled dice for movement. And "Evil Power" cards, so every turn the heroes wait, the harder the game gets.

Standing in a doorway is not very effective, because you will not attack with all heroes in the same turn. This also makes the game take longer (see Evil Power cards).
Odanan

Chaos Warrior
Chaos Warrior

Hero:

PreviousNext

Return to General HeroQuest Discussion