Page 1 of 2

Hasbro & Avalon Hill Rebooting HQ

PostPosted: September 24th, 2020, 12:29 pm
by devarionarias
If you guys have not seen this, probably worth a look! Hasbro and Avalon Hill are teaming up to remake the old game with new artwork and miniatures. By the looks, it's the same system and rules but with a couple new characters and a few new minis (like one for Sir Ragnar for example).

It's a bit pricey and may not be worth it if you still have the original from the 1998 release (like I do) but was excited to see it get a bit of a fresh look and possibly some new content to play! They are planning to release Lair of the Witch Lord and Kellar's Keep with the base set. Here's to hoping they keep publishing more content after the release. :skull:

https://hasbropulse.com/products/heroquest-game-system

Re: Hasbro & Avalon Hill Rebooting HQ

PostPosted: September 24th, 2020, 1:15 pm
by Orc26
Lets hope this fresh coat of paint includes a little bit of clearing up on how some of the more argued about cards work. (Here is looking at you courage)

Re: Hasbro & Avalon Hill Rebooting HQ

PostPosted: September 24th, 2020, 3:07 pm
by Ragnar IronFist
Well I'm not sure how I feel about this one. Seems true to the original (just a fresh coat of paint) yay! But maybe TOO close to the original? As in, I already have it so no reason to buy this. I was at least hoping for an indication of streamlined rules or new/different/more quests and scenarios. And they've enraged anybody who is not in the US or Canada, so there's that. I'm eagerly waiting to hear what folks at the Inn have to say on this one...

Re: Hasbro & Avalon Hill Rebooting HQ

PostPosted: September 24th, 2020, 3:08 pm
by lestodante
devarionarias wrote:If you guys have not seen this...

Are you serious?
All social networks are plenty of posts for this since 11 days! You can't find any other pic or topic because everybody is posting something about the new release.
We have a topic already, more than 30 pages here: viewtopic.php?f=143&t=5381

Re: Hasbro & Avalon Hill Rebooting HQ

PostPosted: September 24th, 2020, 3:28 pm
by StratosVX
Ragnar IronFist wrote:Well I'm not sure how I feel about this one. Seems true to the original (just a fresh coat of paint) yay! But maybe TOO close to the original? As in, I already have it so no reason to buy this. I was at least hoping for an indication of streamlined rules or new/different/more quests and scenarios. And they've enraged anybody who is not in the US or Canada, so there's that. I'm eagerly waiting to hear what folks at the Inn have to say on this one...

But if they release expansions, we can use this with our original systems. Still more new content for us.

Re: Hasbro & Avalon Hill Rebooting HQ

PostPosted: September 24th, 2020, 4:08 pm
by Ragnarök
I just took notice of this, too. Unfortunately it seems like board game sites in Europe cover the re-boot and crowd-funding of HQ with a lot of delay. At least in Germany they just started reporting a few days ago and updated it now, since the funding goal was reached.
I've got mixed feeling about this. Above all it's great that a re-boot will flock new players to the game and a new generation will have the chance to be fascinated by it. The game has got cult status among the old vets of the late 80ies and early 90ies, but let's be realistic, the game was dying slowly and about to fade away. There are exceptions of course, f.e. I passed it on to my son, so did others, too, but a real re-boot and eventually availability at stores and online-market places like amazon will really ressurect HQ.
Now the bad: I'm really outraged that Europeans don't get the option to crowd-fund and pre-order. Seriously, what's wrong with the people at Hasbro? We're living in a pretty much connected globalised world and the original game wouldn't have been possible without Games Workshop, being located in Great Britain. It's so silly (no, let's be serious, it's absolutely retarded!!) to exclude maybe 50 % of the overall old player fanbase, which is European, from the re-boot funding and pre-orders. I'm really pissed about this, since it also means, that one will miss out the pre-order goodies. Furthermore they don't cooperate with GW anymore, so Chaos is called Dread now and the Warhammer lore will be gone, which is unfortunate. As far as I know they also didn't change the rules, which is bad, since HQ really could have used updated/modernised and a little bit more complex official rules as well as new cards, equipment and other stuff. Like this, only the minis, board and furniture seem to be new, which is a waste of potential in my eyes, that they pretty much keep everything as it was. Additionally female hero sets are hidden behind the pre-order version, which is a real stupid move. I also don't like the WoW style silly donkey ears for elves and those exaggerated big Manga/Final Fantasy style weapons of the new minis. Concerning the cover art I'm also a traditionalist, the old one was way better and far more impressive than this new comic style. At least they seem to keep the monochrome coloured card art, which is nice.

Re: Hasbro & Avalon Hill Rebooting HQ

PostPosted: November 4th, 2020, 11:52 pm
by cynthialee
I am really exited and ordered the mythic tier
:D

Re: Hasbro & Avalon Hill Rebooting HQ

PostPosted: November 5th, 2020, 12:32 am
by Oftkilted
cynthialee wrote:I am really exited and ordered the mythic tier
:D

Awesome! Welcome to Mythic Tier (and all the cool unlocks!)

Come and join us over on the Heroquest remake by Hasbro - The BIG discussion thread where we’ve been chatting about it for a while. (138 pages and counting!)

Re: Hasbro & Avalon Hill Rebooting HQ

PostPosted: November 5th, 2020, 2:30 am
by Lemmeron
Hi Cynthia!! Long time no see/hear!

Re: Hasbro & Avalon Hill Rebooting HQ

PostPosted: November 5th, 2020, 7:13 am
by j_dean80
Lemmeron wrote:Hi Cynthia!! Long time no see/hear!


That’s just what I was thinking.