• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Heroquest remake by Hasbro - The BIG discussion thread

Discuss general topics relating to HeroQuest that don't fit well in the categories below.

Re: Heroquest remake by Hasbro - The BIG discussion thread

Postby wallydubbs » January 20th, 2023, 2:52 pm

HispaZargon wrote:I think Avalon Hill has now declared on twitter their intention of releasing more 90's expansions:

https://twitter.com/AvalonHill/status/1 ... zV0a48yeIg

This could either be the finished, yet never released Dwarf quest pack or they're going to look into the European releases Wizards of Morcar and Against the Ogre Hoard.
That or they're just toying with our feelings.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Kurgan » January 20th, 2023, 4:00 pm

Dwarf & Wizard were planned to be 90's expansions (1992 or 1993) but I'm betting they're talking about Against the Ogre Horde, Wizards of Morcar (Zargon?), Dark Company and perhaps other official releases like the Dave Morris quests (Growl of Thunder & Running the Gauntlet that were included with the novellas Tyrant's Tomb and Screaming Spectre respectively), Revenge of the Weather Man (from the Marvel Winter Special) and maybe even "A Plague of Zombies" if they make good on their tease to release a form of the Adventure Design Kit (it was an unfinished sample on the back cover).

I have no doubt if HQ continues to be profitable, they will release Dwarf & Wizard packs. Yes, they could be 100% new material but they have also stated a few time that they have ALL the draft assets, so that makes me think they will "finish" and release those too at some point.

No, I don't have 100% proof, but I think that is very likely. It would make business sense anyway, to re-release these legacy products in addition to new material, even if these probably won't hold the same nostalgia value as the GS, KK & ROTWL that most of the HeroQuest fans have played and loved or at least have heard of...

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby QorDaq » January 20th, 2023, 9:20 pm

Have we seen anywhere, mention of what licensing AH has access to beyond the NA version of HQ?

The twitter post reported above... Was in direct response to a request for new content.

We'll see what the future holds! There are also still more expansions from the 90's that need some love.

The first part implies to me that there is a "Wait and see" approach to what may come next. Presumably, the relative success of Rise of the Dread Moon could impact that--which is reasonable.

The second part is pretty vague and could mean a lot of things depending on what AH has permissions for.

I never owned or played any non NA content, such as the WoM or AtOH, (Though I have digital files of the NA revisions from the Inn), but I imagine there'd be a need to redesign these for NA rules should they be officially released. We've seen that AH is willing to do this, as MotM had some changes made (Adding Artifacts and other treasure that were previously missing, and adjusting the BP of the Ogres, for example). In fact if AH does have rights to AtOH, the adjustment to the MotM Ogre stats could be related to bringing AtOH Ogres into NA parity. That would be exciting. WoZ would be my holy grail though, to be frank.

I have seen the reports that AH has access to the unpublished Dwarf/ and Wizard Quest Packs, though I don't follow social media enough to have seen any first-hand statements from AH on the matter. To me these would be my first thoughts on the meaning behind the second part of the twitter reply when they say, "There are also still more expansions from the 90's that need some love."

So again, has anyone seen any official confirmation about rights to the original UK distributed materials? Or I suppose the Japanese game for that matter?
maj! = Klingon word for "Good". Used in the context of "I approve".

- vay' DaneHbogh yIchargh!
QorDaq

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Nlinindoll » January 20th, 2023, 11:37 pm

I’ve only seen it on Facebook and Discord in conversation with Avalon Hill staff. direct conversations in which things like “all HeroQuest content is accessible” and “nothing off limits” and “rights to everything” were said.

Here’s an example of a discord comment between a HQ fan on discord and Avalon Hill staff.

I can’t figure out how to embed the image of the screencap, so here’s a link…. https://imgur.com/a/9ffkIjO

So it’s not an issue of “licensing”. They own it. It’s their property.

If you go back and look at the quest books, even for AtOH and WoM, the quest books say “Copyright Milton Bradley. Made in Cooperation with Games Workshop”.
Nlinindoll

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Hero:

Postby QorDaq » January 21st, 2023, 12:53 am

Okay, cool. So couched in the "we're not saying we will or we won't, or that the conversation even took place...", is the acknowledgement that they could if they chose to. Though in that post, it is a fan and not AH who states that they were told that "Everything HeroQuest" was available.

That's great to hear, and if it's the case, really does open up the possibilities. Thanks for pointing me towards that info.
maj! = Klingon word for "Good". Used in the context of "I approve".

- vay' DaneHbogh yIchargh!
QorDaq

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby wallydubbs » January 24th, 2023, 3:04 pm

Kurgan wrote:Dwarf & Wizard were planned to be 90's expansions (1992 or 1993) but I'm betting they're talking about Against the Ogre Horde, Wizards of Morcar (Zargon?), Dark Company and perhaps other official releases like the Dave Morris quests (Growl of Thunder & Running the Gauntlet that were included with the novellas Tyrant's Tomb and Screaming Spectre respectively), Revenge of the Weather Man (from the Marvel Winter Special) and maybe even "A Plague of Zombies" if they make good on their tease to release a form of the Adventure Design Kit (it was an unfinished sample on the back cover).

I have no doubt if HQ continues to be profitable, they will release Dwarf & Wizard packs. Yes, they could be 100% new material but they have also stated a few time that they have ALL the draft assets, so that makes me think they will "finish" and release those too at some point.

No, I don't have 100% proof, but I think that is very likely. It would make business sense anyway, to re-release these legacy products in addition to new material, even if these probably won't hold the same nostalgia value as the GS, KK & ROTWL that most of the HeroQuest fans have played and loved or at least have heard of...

As much as I want to believe they'd finally publish the Dwarf and Wizard's quest packs, I just don't see Hasbro doing it. They've taken a very lazy approach to "fixing" the bugs of Frozen Horror and Mage of the Mirror. Part of me thinks, judging by the Barbarian and Elf quest packs, that the Wizard and Dwarf packs were "broken" either by continuity or unregistering spells, artifacts and quest maps.
This isn't to say that whatever the ideas were couldn't be fixed, but judging by the laziness put into these restored versions, I don't see Hasbro trying.
In conjunction with that, the terms "Barbarian Quest Pack" and "Quest Pack for the Elf" were removed from the new releases, thus by extension removing the implication of character based expansion packs.

I could be wrong and I hope I am; perhaps I'm just pessimistic about Hasbro since they've already crushed my original expectations. But even if they were to release another Broken expansion, I feel I'm a creative enough Zargon to fix it for my own groups. But I'm not gonna build up my hopes. But it wouldn't surprise me if they remake Against the Ogre Hoard or Wizard's of Morcar/Zargon.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby cornixt » January 24th, 2023, 5:29 pm

I think Hasbro just took the path of least resistance for the re-releases and made a pretty straight remake of everything so far. I can only imagine the outcry if a minor change was made that people didn't like - actually, don't need to imagine, just remember the pants-wetting that people did over the bard and warlock in this thread. We did get some optional rules included that seemed to address the biggest issues in one of the sets, but that was about it.

The unreleased expansions have no such expectations on them, only a handful of people know what they contained in any detail and they are being oddly cryptic about them, so any proper release will probably be of the same standard as the new quests that came with the re-release of the main box. I expect that Hasbro have realised what a cash-cow they have on their hands so they'll want to squeeze as many dollars out of it as they can.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
cornixt

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » January 24th, 2023, 6:41 pm

The complaints (of which I contributed to) around the Frozen Horror probably simply came to late for them to do anything about it, other than address it in the digital "Into the Northlands" quest. Mage of the Mirror seems to have had more time and so they were able to put those adjustments in the box (and who knows, we might still hold out for some additional tweaks in the eventual Companion App update and/or another digital "bridge" quest to go along with it, however late it may be 9+ days after the official release date.

The great thing about the new heroes that were controversial, is that they were not forced upon us. The Bard was an optional sub for the first dead hero in one of the packs. They were not made the stars of the show at the expense of the classic heroes. And even while the female elf earned a permanent home inside the Game System box, the male elf got a spiffy new design (based on the original artwork from 1992) in the Elf box, so what's to complain about there? Knowing your audience and listening to the fans, so you can give them what they want, just makes good business sense, so my hat's off to them there. So far I'm very happy with how the relaunch of HQ has been.

The Guardian Knight was a debacle with it selling out so fast and not even coming close to meeting demand. Like the fact that HQ went to retail a mere month after the pledge sets were mailed out, they took steps to remedy this mistake (and it was indeed a mistake making the Guardian Knight such a limited time exclusive, becoming quick scalper fodder) by including an even cooler looking version of the Guardian Knight in the next set (which is otherwise all new material, they say, though we don't have the precise release date, it's expected this year, much earlier than previously imagined).

I have seen no evidence whatsoever that any part of the legacy HeroQuest material is owned by anyone other than Hasbro, Inc. (OTHER THAN some very specific things.. namely the artwork and designs borrowed from GamesWorkShop's "Warhammer Fantasy Battle" which includes the designs of the original miniatures used in all of the packs minus a few designs from BQP/EQP and very specific terms like "Chaos Warrior" and "Fimir" or phrases like "Slaves to Darkness)." Yes, Advanced HeroQuest was done by GamesWorkshop back in 1989 with no involvement from Hasbro/Milton Bradley. Then again, the name HeroQuest is owned by Hasbro (again, having briefly lapsed and was used by Chaoseum for their unrelated RPGs). So while GWS could re-produce Advanced HeroQuest if they wanted to (I assume), it would need to be under a different name. Since they have Warhammer Quest now (since 1995) they could easily do that if they wished I'm sure, though they'd probably need some kind of joint venture if they were going to publish official stats to use with the Hasbro HeroQuest in the appendices like the original version did.

Hasbro owns the European versions of HeroQuest just as much as the NA, the Brazilian version I'm sure they even own the Japanese version. They could reproduce it all, they are just careful to remake the artwork and rename things that are taken from GamesWorkShop stuff (they had a mutual agreement to disentangle their products).

How do I know this? I think so because they have taken material directly from it and put it into the Remake (the Bracers, Hand Axe, Holy Water, Potion of Speed, Equipment Deck artwork is based on it, etc.). If they weren't able to use this material I would think they would have put that out there to stop people from repeatedly asking (clearly fans want these things).

Even so, all of the physical miniatures were being re-used from those European sets in the North American exclusives (mercenaries from WOM/Advanced Quest in Frozen Horror, Ogres from ATOH in Mage of the Mirror; other ATOH Ogres would appear in the unreleased half finished Dwarf pack and the four Wizards of Morcar would appear in the unreleased Wizard quest pack which we know was nearly finished all those years ago). At least some of the artwork and even some of the play mechanics from those two packs were planned to appear in the new ones (for example, various spells). Even if the specific EU packs couldn't be made (I doubt there is such a restriction) re-creating them from what would be released would be pretty easy, just a matter of printing a few things.

About the only issues I could see legally would be one-offs commissioned by guest writers (like say, the mythic quest books which were written by guest authors rather than Avalon Hill Staffers... remember Avalon Hill, like Milton Bradley before it, is a wholly owned subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc. they can't do anything without the company's permission). If they can work a deal with those writers then surely anything can be released, so that includes all the Mythic material but possibly not the White Dwarf published quests (WD is a publication of GWS so they'd need their permission to remake those I would think and they'd have to redo the miniatures).

I think the sculpts of the Mythic heroes were also done by guest artists, but the rules for them I think were done by Doug Hopkins (who also wrote the various "free online" quests other than Rogar's Hall which of course Stephen Baker did).

The question of whether Stephen Baker would prevent his stuff from being done would seem like a strange one to me, since he's still actively doing stuff for the company (watch any of the animated trailers for HeroQuest's individual expansions... he's the one narrating them!) and seems to have a close relationship with them still, even if he is a semi-retired consultant or freelance designer (whatever his official title may be).

I for one would love to see Rogar's Hall added to the Companion App someday soon. I have a greater appreciation for the amount of work it must have taken to put into the App what they have done, to work out so many different gimmicks and have it still work on the honor system, giving people the freedom to interpret certain things how they wish to still enjoy the game and even use homebrew rules in many cases (and still for free). I griped that it wasn't officially on the pc and didn't have a quest remix button or let you rename the mercenaries, but I can live with that being missing for what it does do, but I digress.

I'm really sad to hear what has been happening with the D&D and MTG communities. I was sad to see how the HeroScape remake flopped (I'm sure it wasn't Avalon Hill's fault, but somebody didn't plan and market the thing properly). A lot of fans are really upset with Hasbro now and scaling back their support (even vowing not to support the company anymore). Hopefully they can make it right by them and HeroQuest will have a long and happy career in the future. Sorry for the rant... (look up TheRantCastPodCast to learn more...!). :2cents:

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Kurgan » January 24th, 2023, 7:12 pm

wallydubbs wrote:As much as I want to believe they'd finally publish the Dwarf and Wizard's quest packs, I just don't see Hasbro doing it. They've taken a very lazy approach to "fixing" the bugs of Frozen Horror and Mage of the Mirror. Part of me thinks, judging by the Barbarian and Elf quest packs, that the Wizard and Dwarf packs were "broken" either by continuity or unregistering spells, artifacts and quest maps.

The fact that they could throw together "Into the Northlands" so quickly, and the fact that they took time to iron out the main issues with Mage of the Mirror IN THE BOX proves to me that they are listening, they do care enough and they have enough talent to do it.

What parts of ATOH and WOM aren't playable out of the box right now? Sure, it might seem a little odd to be checking off boxes with a pencil on the quest book pages to track monster body points (instead of shoving skull tiles underneath the figure) but it's all right there. HeroScribe, a fan made project from years ago, lets you open up the quest in black and white and then translate it instantly into the color coding of the NA edition. No big budget needed for that, just photoshop or whatever they're using in-house (I wouldn't be shocked if they have something like HQuestbuilder already). I haven't played more than a handful of quests out of ATOH, but to my mind there are only a couple of possible tweaks needed apart from what Phoenix has already done with them... there are possibly two places where there is a serious risk of being "Trapped forever" from falling block traps (not such a problem in the EU original since even a toolkit could remove the fallen rocks after the fact just like pits... something you can't do in the NA edition). There are a myriad of different easy ways to bypass those issues (have Zargon force the hero to backtrack to the proper place when the rock falls, or make sure they get a Pass Through Rock Spell Scroll or Elven Cloak of Passage before that, or make the falling rock do damage but the rock "breaks" and doesn't have the permanent trapping effect perhaps. What else? They can mitigate the extreme difficulty by increasing the number of potions (ATOH already has a rule for giving you full BP restoring potions to start the adventure), gold or whatever. Another member pointed out that there are no cool artifacts to find in these adventures, not that the heroes really need such things at this point (if they have completed the GS, never mind KK and ROTWL, MOTM and FH... they should be tanks by now). Allow them to hire mercenaries (already present in WOM, and those could be beefed up to Frozen Horror stats, though that also means raising the prices a bit, though WOM gives plenty of opportunities to get cash or a discount on mercs)... maybe throw in some spell scroll random draws to fill those empty chests and stash a few inside the box with a new alchemist shop. A bit more work? Sure, but they've already set the precedent that you can visit alchemist shops from other expansions in the various packs you own so there would be very little work to do.

The quests (in AOTH and WOM) will be harder, because the EU edition had 1 BP Fimirs/Chaos Warriors/Gargoyles and Mummies. So what? Again, fans converted them over like twenty years ago for free and their work is easily seen, and a multi-billion dollar company can't do the same? I would find that hard to believe.

You might argue there are a few issues with the quest themselves (similar to EQP/BQP). A few unmarked chests in WOM and the "pit of darkness" icons are re-used in that latter pack but not explained (somebody forgot to copy and paste that text!).

It's one thing to say that Avalon Hill was being "lazy" by copying the old quests, errors and all into the new format. But I think they did this purposely because they thought that the nostalgia was so strong that nobody would WANT any changes, forgetting that EQP/BQP were very rare back in the day, and so while the idea of owning them still excited many players, most had no idea how broken they really were. Now that they're aware of the issue (and here they could turn to European fans who actually played them) they can deal with it.

We discussed this in our discord and the idea that somehow the Dread spells that we'd get in these new quests would be "confusing" because they have the same names as some of the Game System Dread Spells doesn't really phase me. We already have two "potions of speed" that are totally different. Yes, they renamed the "Potion of Restoration" to "Superior Restoration" but anyway, the evil Wizard spells are each specifically coded to a certain boss bad guy in their own "suit" so all you have to do is look at the card to know what it is. Some people over think things, like those who wonder if the Warlock should be able to use the Wizard's spells (when the card only says they can use the same equipment and artifacts).

This isn't to say that whatever the ideas were couldn't be fixed, but judging by the laziness put into these restored versions, I don't see Hasbro trying.
In conjunction with that, the terms "Barbarian Quest Pack" and "Quest Pack for the Elf" were removed from the new releases, thus by extension removing the implication of character based expansion packs.

They could have reasoned that the person buying it (remember, the general public of potential customers who are adults nostalgic about the original HeroQuest who might see this have not actually played them, by and large--- ask anyone who even owned these back in the day, did they actually play through all the quests? I have yet to hear about any who actually did in those days) might assume these adventures were ONLY for that hero (like a series of 10 solo quests for the barbarian or something). They might have thought calling them "Quest Pack for the [Hero]" also sounded even more like that rather than the HeroQuest everybody loved.

Even so, each of the four themed packs had its own subtitle, so it's not like they'd even have to try to come up with new names for them. Incidentally, Frozen Horror was originally known as "Barbarian Blades."

If they could bother to finish and release Dwarf and Wizard Packs... why would they be "too lazy" to make some small tweaks to Against the Ogre Horde and Wizards of Morcar (or Dark Company or any of the others) to make them playable? That I don't understand. HeroQuest has proven itself now. These aren't crowd funded campaigns where we might or might not get certain features if only enough people pledge in a month or two. I think they held off changing things not just because it was "easier" but because they were afraid of a backlash if they trode on someone's nostalgia. Since the vast majority of fans had NOT played EQP/BQP and gotten so entrenched, any backlash from changes would be minimal. Other than Amalgamash (and I love the guy's work, he's cool), who was upset that Mage of the Mirror contained changes from the 1992 version? I got almost everything I wanted changed in that one! (and it wasn't my doing, those issues have been known for decades in the community). No again I just think they didn't understand and so there wasn't time to fix Frozen Horror until after the fact.

I could be wrong and I hope I am; perhaps I'm just pessimistic about Hasbro since they've already crushed my original expectations. But even if they were to release another Broken expansion, I feel I'm a creative enough Zargon to fix it for my own groups. But I'm not gonna build up my hopes. But it wouldn't surprise me if they remake Against the Ogre Hoard or Wizard's of Morcar/Zargon.

The pessimists should let their thoughts be known. I recall during the Pledge Pulse campaign being told that I should just accept the fact that HeroQuest was NEVER coming back to retail, because "that's not how Hasbro does it." That pulse exclusives REMAIN exclusive. Boy were they wrong, and I'm so glad. But if nobody had said anything, might it not have happened? There was enough awareness on the part of Avalon Hill that they were able to feed that info to whichever higher ups needed to know and they saw there was enough demand to do the retail version and thank goodness. We might not be talking about the remake still today without that, as it would just be some rare thing that scalpers were selling on the internet for absurd amounts like that Card game or something (or the *cough* Guardian Knights... still).

Scalpers were be very upset very soon, we were told, and now we know why. So while we should make sure to watch them closely and tell them the instant they step out of line, I think there is a bright future ahead for HQ, so long as they get their crap straightened out with their other fantasy franchises (and don't dare try to pull that stuff with us!).

Bottom line, yes, I agree that Zargon at his table can fix anything with his imagination and experience, and there's nobody better equipped to do that than communities of fans like we have here and at our discord servers and facebook and reddit groups. Those fan ideas will filter out into the internet. But yes, for the sake of the much greater number of kids who won't necessarily become part of our community for awhile, the games SHOULD be as complete in the box at retail upon release as possible. So I'm not saying "release it broken." I think if they could handle EQP/BQP they can handle ATOH/WOM, as compared to the latter two, these new ones should be a cakewalk. Who knows, maybe we'll get them both in the same box (or else as smaller boxes, assuming they don't add any new features... that's another thing, if people are willing to buy two minis and 12 cards, surely they'd be willing to buy what came in those sets!).

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Bareheaded Warrior » January 25th, 2023, 5:14 am

Do we have (if not do we need) a topic on the forum that lists the differences between the HQ2021 edition and the original US edition in terms of rules, card text and similar (as opposed to differences in figures, board and game components)? I'm sure we do but I can't find it!
:skull: = white skull, one "hit"
:blackshield: = black skull, one "hit"
:whiteshield: = shield, cancels out one "hit"

Editions: 1989 Original First Edition [FE] and Second Edition [SE], 1990 Remake [US], 2021 Remake [21]

HeroQuest Gold new edition based on Original 1989 HeroQuest, holes patched, dents hammered out, buffed to a shiny finish with ~50 common issues fixed for a smoother experience.

HQ Common Notification System to identify squares on the board
Bareheaded Warrior

Scout
Scout

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:

PreviousNext

Return to General HeroQuest Discussion