• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Heroquest remake by Hasbro - The BIG discussion thread

Discuss general topics relating to HeroQuest that don't fit well in the categories below.

Re: Well well, what do we have here? Official news maybe?

Postby Spookyhappyfun » September 15th, 2020, 9:22 pm

BStewart80 wrote:It seems (and this is only an assumption on my part based on very little) that it will be the same game except with a fresh coat of paint (modified/updated graphics and pieces and the such).

Avalon Hill restored Axis & Allies and for the most part were faithful. In any case, I own several of those games and really enjoy playing them. My hope is, as they have released expansion and additional editions of Axis & Allies which were quite good, they will do the same for HeroQuest, provided it sells well. (Here's to our part for the success :skull: :skull: :skull: ). Let's hope they get this right.

I would love it if it were a mostly updated version of the original and sold well enough to have expansions. Though, I would love it a lot more if it all meshed and worked with the original. I doubt that will be the case, but I can dream.

Rewards:
Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Spookyhappyfun

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Kurgan » September 15th, 2020, 10:48 pm

Imagine if it became really popular, and caused a huge rift in the HQ community. A rift that released evil chaos beings into our realm and caused the undoing of life on earth itself!

Hopefully not...

And if it's a real board game, will it immediately sell out to scalpers on ebay? Again, hopefully not...

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Thor-in » September 16th, 2020, 7:17 am

Spookyhappyfun wrote:
Goblin-King wrote:
Mophus wrote:I totally agree. The style looks similar exchangeable like the anniversary game someone was trying to produce a few years ago. On the other hand, the cover of Heroquest was back in the days only a, hence sophisticated, manifestation of a similar rpg cover style, too.

That's a good observation, but quite frankly I think good covers is a lost art.
I think almost every single piece of box art that has come out in 2000+ falls in one of two categories:

* Digital wild sketchy style, where you kinda have to squint to make it look any good. Backgrounds some times look unfinished.
* Digital super soft cartoony look. I like to call this the World of Warcraft look. Often with a very sharp bizarre blue light from one side.

Necromunda is a good example of the first category. The new almost looks like concept art, while every square inch on the old version is painted in sharp detail.

Smallworld is an example of the WoW graphic style.

[img]

I may be an old bitter man, but I think it can be argued that cover-art WERE objectively better in ye olde days :ugeek: 8-) |_P
This goes for both games, books and movies!

The difference between those two pieces of Necromunda box art is surprising. I guess I'm a bitter old man too, because I love that old detailed painted style.

We most likely are bitter old men. I have always enjoyed old art where game and movie producers had to pay for artistic talent. The digital age has sorta destroyed this for everyone.
:skeleton: "In The End We Are All Shadows and Dust" :skeleton:

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Thor-in

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby lestodante » September 16th, 2020, 11:18 am

totally agree about the artwork and that oldschool feeling taht I always search in everything. Problem is, many people don't even have perception of the difference beetween the old and new styles.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby elvyler » September 16th, 2020, 11:26 am

Those new styles are marketed to a younger generation. A generation that wasn't even around to experience the old school style when it was at it's prime, and hasn't developed an appreciation for it. Unfortunately, I don't think we'll see a return to the old style, simply because the demographic for it is aging and fading away.
elvyler

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Forum Language: British English
Hero:

Postby Thor-in » September 16th, 2020, 12:49 pm

lestodante wrote:Problem is, many people don't even have perception of the difference beetween the old and new styles.

Agreed, my kids can tell the difference only because I have shown them....then they tell me I'm old, :cry: :lol:

elvyler wrote:Those new styles are marketed to a younger generation.

Yes, every cartoon or board game art is geared to a newer generation that has known nothing but the digital world. Even some new RPG "board games" need the use of a tablet I have seen over the years. I really hope they don't do that with this one.
:skeleton: "In The End We Are All Shadows and Dust" :skeleton:

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Thor-in

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby monnock777 » September 16th, 2020, 12:55 pm

I see the dm being an app like in The Lord of the Rings: Journeys in Middle-earth.
monnock777

Fimir
Fimir

Hero:

Postby elvyler » September 16th, 2020, 1:05 pm

monnock777 wrote:I see the dm being an app like in The Lord of the Rings: Journeys in Middle-earth.

This interests me, but only if it's optional. It would be nice for solo play or if you had a small group and everyone wanted to be a hero. I would still like the option of a person playing gm.
elvyler

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Hero:

Postby khimbar » September 16th, 2020, 1:37 pm

I'm trying not to get too excited about this, in case it's just an app or a start of a Kickstarter campaign where we have to wait months.

Doesn't always work but I'm trying.
khimbar

Mummy
Mummy

Hero:

Postby monnock777 » September 16th, 2020, 2:04 pm

elvyler wrote:This interests me, but only if it's optional. It would be nice for solo play or if you had a small group and everyone wanted to be a hero. I would still like the option of a person playing gm.

I agree it wouldn't be a bad thing if it is optional. Only so much an app can do.
monnock777

Fimir
Fimir

Hero:

PreviousNext

Return to General HeroQuest Discussion