• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Heroquest remake by Hasbro - The BIG discussion thread

Discuss general topics relating to HeroQuest that don't fit well in the categories below.

Re: Heroquest remake by Hasbro - The BIG discussion thread

Postby j_dean80 » December 31st, 2023, 6:27 pm

TheLastChaosWarrior wrote:Probably yes. Although how it would have saved them from the scrutiny of GW when they are using the identical classic layout of rooms is anyone's guess.
If they were that bothered you would think they would have changed the map slightly to get around that.
If GW were to complain, I don't think AH would have a case as the map design is identical.

Wouldn't Hasbro (Milton Bradley) hold the rights as they were still using the same board even after the split with GW?
Blood - Good to the last drop

Ye Olde Inn Quest Design Competition 2024 Joint Winner

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby TheLastChaosWarrior » December 31st, 2023, 6:54 pm

I assumed the split from GW happened after Heroquest ended production after WOM was made.
So it was ok for them to use it until then.
Im no expert at such topics though.
TheLastChaosWarrior

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar

Postby Markus Darwath » January 2nd, 2024, 12:47 am

If the artwork changes to the board are for rights issues it wouldn't have anything to do with GW. It would be a matter of not owing royalties to the artist(s) who created the original.
Markus Darwath

Ogre Warrior
Ogre Warrior

Postby wallydubbs » January 7th, 2024, 12:52 pm

So I noticed something quite disappointing when going over restrictions on armor for characters. The Barbarian, Dwarf and Elf have no restrictions, while the Knight has even less restrictions revoking the movement penalty on Plate Mail. But then we have all these other heroes:
The Bard can wear armory,but it impedes his extra defence dice.
The Druid can't wear metal armor, but that doesn't say anything about bracers or a shield, so I imagine she's able to use those.
The Monk refuses to wear armor, so that's a restriction on all armor.
The Rogue can't wear metal armor or carry shields, so that means the Bracers are the only thing acceptable to him/her.
The Warlock is supposed to follow the same guidelines as the Wizard.
But here's my problem as the Wizard's card reads "You are the Wizard. You have the ability to cast many different spells. However, you cannot wear armor or use large weapons..." His restrictions on the card are plain as day.
But all cards generally say if the Wizard can't use something. In fact there's only 3 armor cards that don't say "May not be used by the Wizard." Those are Bracers, Crown of Shadows and Scales of Elthorn. In fact Scales of Elthorn says it can be combined with Wizard's Cloak. However if the Wizard can't wear armor, as her card says, all of this would be off limits to him.

The point is we're holding the Wizard to different standards then the newer characters and it's a bit disappointing if you're trying to introduce new people to Hero Quest. The restrictions to other heroes are written on their cards while the Wizards' restrictions are on all other cards.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby SirRick » January 7th, 2024, 2:46 pm

I see what you are saying, but when the game first came out there was no armor the Wizard could wear. He had the “Wizard Only” magical cloak and bracers he could buy in the European versions, or the cloak turned into the Wizard’s Cloak artifact in the NA version. Pretty much everything in the remake was duplicated word-for-word except where they needed to change something. They did introduce some new items and equipment along the way that didn’t exist previously, or were modified somewhat (the Bracers).

Basically, if the designers made an item called “Monkish Chain Mail”, and the card said it was designed specifically for Monks, I would say it trumps their regular restriction of not being able to wear any armor.

The Scales of Elethorn implies in a round-a-bout way that the Wizard (and Warlock) can wear it because it can be combined with the Wizard’s Cloak. Currently the only characters that can wear that cloak are the Wizard and Warlock.

Is it confusing? Oh yes. We all know about the Wizard and the original Hand Axe card that came with the game. But for the most part if we follow what the character card says, and allowing for certain exceptions based on specific items or whatever, we should be fine.

Rewards:
Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
SirRick

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby TheLastChaosWarrior » January 7th, 2024, 3:05 pm

I really don't think they play tested rogue properly in harder Quests.
Having a Hero on three defense dice is ludicrous, the number of times I have had other hero's fluff defense rolls with 5 dice shows how low three is.
Hell, even weak Wizard and Warlock throw four.
I homebrewed leather armour for Rogue to bring him to 4, and also made a wooden shield so in tight spots he could use it to bring him to five at the cost of dual wielding his knife.
The leather armour only works in melee combat and the shield still gives +1 but is destroyed if user takes 2+ hits during one attack. It is only 75 GC to buy though, I added these limitations so he is not as strong as the other melee fighters.
I then pondered over the wording on the Rogues card.
Cannot use metal armour or shields?
Does this mean metal shields or ALL shields?? Even if it means no shields, at least he has leather armour now.
TheLastChaosWarrior

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar

Postby Kurgan » January 8th, 2024, 2:41 am

I re-introduced the Cloak of Protection to our campaign, so that's another possible bit of Armor for the various "armor restricted" characters. Granted, I would swap it out for the Scales of Elethorn or the Wizard's Cloak (rather than stacking them).

Despite my usage of the "one big roll and you get to defend against it all" revision of the multi-attack rule, I disregarded it when it's the Rogue attacking. He just needs to make sure he has potions and/or the other heroes supporting him.

Prior to the clarifications from AH (and just before the actual release proved the "metal" thing was not actually going to be on the cards) we gave the Monk bracers and cloak. He would be much weaker without them but as with the Monk above, he could survive, though his Twisting Torrent (Water style to avoid damage) if allowed liberally (as I do) makes up for it a lot of the time since he can flee if he has to. Then again the Rogue can flee much easier since he can always pass through monsters while the Monk can be surrounded.

The new heroes are an interesting challenge because in a way Zargon HAS to make some alterations to make them fit into whatever campaign they're being inserted (except possibly the GS where you just have to have someone who can wield the Spirit Blade, ultimately, to be able to win), unless they are tagging along as a 5th hero.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » January 8th, 2024, 1:01 pm

Kurgan wrote:I re-introduced the Cloak of Protection to our campaign, so that's another possible bit of Armor for the various "armor restricted" characters. Granted, I would swap it out for the Scales of Elethorn or the Wizard's Cloak (rather than stacking them).

Despite my usage of the "one big roll and you get to defend against it all" revision of the multi-attack rule, I disregarded it when it's the Rogue attacking. He just needs to make sure he has potions and/or the other heroes supporting him.

Prior to the clarifications from AH (and just before the actual release proved the "metal" thing was not actually going to be on the cards) we gave the Monk bracers and cloak. He would be much weaker without them but as with the Monk above, he could survive, though his Twisting Torrent (Water style to avoid damage) if allowed liberally (as I do) makes up for it a lot of the time since he can flee if he has to. Then again the Rogue can flee much easier since he can always pass through monsters while the Monk can be surrounded.

The new heroes are an interesting challenge because in a way Zargon HAS to make some alterations to make them fit into whatever campaign they're being inserted (except possibly the GS where you just have to have someone who can wield the Spirit Blade, ultimately, to be able to win), unless they are tagging along as a 5th hero.

I only add in a 5th hero for Frozen Horror and Mage of the Mirror. When it comes to the Rogue, since he/she is Elfkind, I'd allow them to use Artifacts that specify "Elf."

However it seems like the Rogue would have an edge over the other heroes in Rise of the Dread Moon if you're playing the disguised route.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby HispaZargon » February 20th, 2024, 4:08 am

First boxes of Spanish version of Spirit Queens Torment are finally being released this week via Amazon. Some of them have already arrived to their destination during yesterday.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
Librarian-Analyst
HispaZargon
Inn's Guardian

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: Español
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby HispaZargon » March 17th, 2024, 7:35 pm

Just to inform about this weekend has been celebrated in Madrid, Spain the Interocio board games fest, but this year Hasbro has not installed any stand like in 2023 so no HeroQuest news have been announced nor filtered.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
Librarian-Analyst
HispaZargon
Inn's Guardian

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: Español
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Previous

Return to General HeroQuest Discussion