Page 1 of 2

Male vs Female minis proportions

PostPosted: September 4th, 2020, 11:41 am
by lestodante
Here to ask if you agree with the proportions they used to represent the only two female figures in the game.
I mean... first of all look at their heads, the female heads are half the size of the male ones.
The same for the hands and feet.
One forearm from the Barbarian is long as a whole arm of the female Barbarian. The same happen whith the two Elves.
Also, look at the Elves weapons, one is bearing a sword, the other... a :banana: (and its sheath is even smaller)
Now, the pictures (photos taken by the Old Scratch forum, unknown painter, sorry). The first one is showing just their heads and the red line is to line up their chins.

hero heads.jpg

Barbarians.jpg

Elves.jpg

Re: Male vs Female minis proportions

PostPosted: September 4th, 2020, 12:47 pm
by Pancho
I’ve never owned the US mini’s but if I did I’d probably convert the female Elf. Move the right arm up, reaching for a bow that’s hanging on her back.
I love elves generally and think most of them are salvageable, even this one. There’s some nice elements to it, just needs more dynamism I think.

Re: Male vs Female minis proportions

PostPosted: September 4th, 2020, 3:22 pm
by wallydubbs
I really wouldn't have noticed until you put their heads on a plate like that.
Women, in general, are supposed to be smaller then men, so it really doesn't bother me none.

However the male Barbarian I've always envisioned as a big hulking beast of a man, so it's perfectly acceptable for him to have a big head. The Female Barbarian has too much hair to make it noticeable.
You can also look at the Barbarians arms for comparison, his are way bigger, as they should be.

The male Elf's head I never really cared for, his head appears rather narrow and horse-faced.
The Female Elf, on the other hand, her ears seem a little too big in comparison to her other facial features. But this, I suppose, would be common for an elf.
By these two, look at the hands, his, by comparison, are larger too, so all is forgiven when it comes to the head size.

Re: Male vs Female minis proportions

PostPosted: September 4th, 2020, 3:43 pm
by Thor-in
Didn't notice until know, and really didn't care. Just owning original copies of them is a plus.

Re: Male vs Female minis proportions

PostPosted: September 25th, 2020, 2:26 pm
by Ragnarök
I like them as they are. Sure in real life females usually are a bit smaller than men, but hey think of how hard it would be to paint even smaller minis than the 28 mm scale. Overall the proportions might be wrong, but it's not a big issue for me. I love these super rare female minis and would love it even more to own and paint them.The wepaons are no problem in my opinion, the female Elf wields something like a cutlass or short saber. I know, what you mean, it's too big for a crooked dagger and at the same time too short for a real saber, but come on, gotta love the rarest minis of the original Hero Quest.... ;)

Re: Male vs Female minis proportions

PostPosted: September 25th, 2020, 5:57 pm
by lestodante
posting here what I was working on with the help of some friends.
This is still a work in progress but it is my idea of correct proportions.
A female Wizard and Elf miniature by her side for comparison!
Would like to know what do you think about it.

IMG-20200910-WA0007b.jpg

Re: Male vs Female minis proportions

PostPosted: September 25th, 2020, 6:48 pm
by Spookyhappyfun
That looks good!

Re: Male vs Female minis proportions

PostPosted: September 27th, 2020, 12:39 pm
by Ragnarök
A lovely miniature! Really cool. Will you make it available for 3d printing?

Re: Male vs Female minis proportions

PostPosted: September 27th, 2020, 12:51 pm
by Goblin-King
lestodante wrote:posting here what I was working on with the help of some friends.
This is still a work in progress but it is my idea of correct proportions.
A female Wizard and Elf miniature by her side for comparison!
Would like to know what do you think about it.

IMG-20200910-WA0007b.jpg


That looks awesome! Any more minis in the pipeline?

Re: Male vs Female minis proportions

PostPosted: September 28th, 2020, 1:13 pm
by lestodante
There are several models that we wish to create but I don't know when they will be ready.
Problem with 3D printing is that some details are lost through the printing process so we are working on a 3d model first and then adding the smaller details with green stuff.
My goal is to make them in plastic like the original minis to be 100% compatible with the others.