• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Question about the picture on the back of the box.

Discuss general topics relating to HeroQuest that don't fit well in the categories below.

Re: Question about the picture on the back of the box.

Postby Kurgan » August 17th, 2021, 10:18 am

HispaZargon wrote:Nice work with the maps, Kurgan! Only a couple of "issues" I have detected in the first map, maybe would be more: the stairs in the EU version map does not exist and I think the Wizard and the door next to him must be moved 1 square to the 'left', it is not too important but if we would want to be accurate...

Good catch, HispaZargon... I made the corrections you suggested. The usual rule with regard to "lost Artifacts" is to put them as a special treasure early in the next quest (according to the NA rules). But a special super quest, this is a cool idea. I too like to derive homebrew stuff from the fragments and remnants of things within the HQ lore, even the cutting room floor or as in this case, a random setup meant to show off the pieces more than represent a "real quest." It feels like finding a lost treasure somehow.

Link back to the FIXED versions http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=143&t=5152#p110455 right click on the mouse fixes the corner limitation!

Overall, there's a lot of leeway, since we have no idea the strength of the Chaos Warlock there (or if it's even an enemy, though probably meant to be), or the placement in the "empty" rooms (though we can guess based on the pieces near Zargon: I see a Fimir, 2 Orcs, Skeleton, Chaos Warrior, Mummy and some dark pieces that are hard to make out, but could be guessed based on process of elimination if we go with the original monster allotments). But as is, it looks like a medium difficulty quest in terms of monsters, though it would be long in terms of exploration for the sheer number of rooms (most block out at least a few with solid rock).

In fact, I did have a version where I just filled in the "empty" rooms with rock and removed the associated doors, but that's less authentic.

Edit: Zooming in... in the shadows on the right side (Zargon's left) upper corner, there's another Fimir off the board, and the remaining figure... there's at least one Goblin (all Orcs accounted for). But that's all I can make out. Normally there are more goblins, so could be a couple more there too that were originally part of the game. Of course, we're not even counting Wandering Monsters, which can affect game totals, whatever one might choose! I see also they got creative putting a rat on a corridor square and another on a table. Everybody does their own thing, but when we played, we always liked to display the monsters that had been killed (and kept the rest in the box or behind Zargon's screen, waiting in the wings as it were. Usually had plenty of Greenskins but occasionally would run out of undeads, until we got ROTWL expansion and so those got recycled. Under EU rules, it's manageable, but that's probably one mean quest under NA monster body point rules (but lower than Dark Company would be under the same rules, to say nothing of the EQP/BQP)!

Another little thing, I notice only four white dice visible (the EU 1st edition only included four, instead of the familiar six).

Edit #2: Forgot to move the door over in the Warlock room, thanks HispaZargon!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Kurgan on September 2nd, 2021, 10:00 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Kurgan » August 17th, 2021, 12:56 pm

Time for some editorial changes...

And now here is a modification with some logical guesses as to monster placement in those empty rooms and considering everyone's position as their starting point (except the Heroes, who will start at the stairs as they typically do).

Still needs a title, parchment text and letter explanations. I figured each Chest needs a label and the Chaos Warlock, minimum, so I added those marks.

Using it as a catch-all quest for lost artifacts is a cool idea, although you could do whatever you wanted with it. The quest only requires the GS. Some extra doors were removed (see below).

Edit: FIXED! However, you will need some extra "open" doors if you really want it to be perfect (five to be precise) as they used every available one in the set for the display. Also renamed the below files to avoid confusion with the "as is" versions from earlier.

Edit #2: Added a Secret Door (without it, one room was inaccessible without pass through rock!).

Edit #3: Fixed the corner issue (it was just a right mouse button click, live and learn).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Kurgan » September 2nd, 2021, 10:04 pm

Finally fixed it. Right mouse click functionality (to rotate pieces on the fly) is part of this edition of HS... and I can't believe I missed it all this time, I was trying to mess with the x & y and all that nonsense when it was a simple solution, and apparently I wasn't the only one. *smacks forehead* :oops: :lol:

The files above and on the previous page(s) are all updated.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Odanan » September 15th, 2021, 4:53 pm

old_skaven wrote:Hello everyone , When I was kid Ive got the Heroquest box and Ive noticed differences about some designs,the (plastic?) minis of course but also the

oh, my Goddess, round bases!!! That changes everything!
Odanan

Chaos Warrior
Chaos Warrior

Hero:

Postby Kurgan » September 15th, 2021, 5:58 pm

Not only that, metal figures & furniture, painted solid color (Canon) !

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby HispaZargon » September 17th, 2021, 11:41 am

Kurgan, what about mapping too the Brazilian box's back map? I think it is the only one Hero Quest "spin-off box" left :-) ( I think the Japanese one is the same as EU)

DSC_0419-001.JPG

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
Librarian-Analyst
HispaZargon
Inn's Guardian

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: Español
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby old_skaven » September 22nd, 2021, 3:23 pm

HispaZargon wrote:Kurgan, what about mapping too the Brazilian box's back map? I think it is the only one Hero Quest "spin-off box" left :-) ( I think the Japanese one is the same as EU)

DSC_0419-001.JPG

Thanks for the new pics guys ! I can see the rat near the dices now :cheese:
old_skaven

Evil Sorcerer: Morcar

Postby Kurgan » October 7th, 2021, 5:19 pm

HispaZargon wrote:Kurgan, what about mapping too the Brazilian box's back map? I think it is the only one Hero Quest "spin-off box" left :-) ( I think the Japanese one is the same as EU)

Neat pic... I'm noticing for the first time that the furniture is (part) plastic like the other editions, but the cardboard standups representing the miniatures all use the same base as the doors. Was that true of the pieces in the box too? Love Zargon/Morcar's expression like "so... watcha gonna do?" (Behind the GM screen he's got the quest book upside down, because that's how the board is oriented).

Since there's only one character card next to each of the two boys who are controlling the Wizard (left) and Elf (right), I'm guessing "Dad" (or maybe "Mom"?) or whomever is leaning back in their chair taking the picture at the other end of the table and controlling the Barbarian and Dwarf.

I need to have a look at the "back of the box" image of the Japanese edition...!

As for the Brazilian edition. Looks like the Elf is using Fire Spells. Either all the spells have been used or none of them have. I see six white dice (like NA edition) and the two red dice. Judging by the monster total, looks like an average difficulty quest (no telling how many have been defeated already).

Below are my drafts. The first is an attempt to re-create it straight from the box (the characters don't fill the squares completely so there's some in-exactitude). The second I added some secret doors for the rooms that are otherwise inaccessible. The third is the "starting" version, assuming the heroes begin at the stairway. It's anyone's guess what the story should be or what the Chaos Warlock should be (could be a bad guy but the central room with the Gargoyle makes me think it wouldn't have to be). Seems only one unused room this time. Corrections are welcome!

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby HispaZargon » October 8th, 2021, 11:57 am

Kurgan wrote:Neat pic... I'm noticing for the first time that the furniture is (part) plastic like the other editions, but the cardboard standups representing the miniatures all use the same base as the doors. Was that true of the pieces in the box too?

Hi, I guess it should be inside enough bases for both furniture and miniatures but only somebody with an original Brazilian copy could answer that.

Kurgan wrote:I need to have a look at the "back of the box" image of the Japanese edition...!

European and Japanese box backs have the same picture:

HQ_Japanese_Box_Back.jpg

Kurgan wrote:As for the Brazilian edition. Looks like the Elf is using Fire Spells. Either all the spells have been used or none of them have. I see six white dice (like NA edition) and the two red dice. Judging by the monster total, looks like an average difficulty quest (no telling how many have been defeated already).

As far as I know, Brazilian version rules and box content (despite aesthetical differences) are exactly the same as NA ones so, this leads to me think that, in order to be more accurate, the HeroQuest Community should call the "North American" rules of the game as just "American" rules since they also cover the Brazilian ones. Then, we have just European/American/Japanese as the three available rules systems... it sounds easier, isn't it? :-) I don't know if this point has been already discussed but I see it is quite clear.

Kurgan wrote:Below are my drafts. The first is an attempt to re-create it straight from the box (the characters don't fill the squares completely so there's some in-exactitude). The second I added some secret doors for the rooms that are otherwise inaccessible. The third is the "starting" version, assuming the heroes begin at the stairway. It's anyone's guess what the story should be or what the Chaos Warlock should be (could be a bad guy but the central room with the Gargoyle makes me think it wouldn't have to be). Seems only one unused room this time. Corrections are welcome!

Thank you! Excellent work! As usual! Well, we could invent whatever we want about this quest background hahaha. All those quests could be merged together in a single campaign, etc.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
Librarian-Analyst
HispaZargon
Inn's Guardian

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: Español
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » October 8th, 2021, 4:58 pm

Thanks for sharing. I'm honestly shocked they didn't find three Japanese boys to be in the picture, but who knows, maybe it further contributes to the mystique of a "western game" floating onto their shores? Or just wanted to save some cash...

Just like there are Americans who love the "exotic east" there are people in Asia who love the "exotic west." ;)

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

PreviousNext