• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

HQ box artwork posters

Discuss general topics relating to HeroQuest that don't fit well in the categories below.

HQ box artwork posters

Postby Laserschwert » December 5th, 2018, 11:12 am

Hello everybody, I have just registered to ask if anyone has made a proper 600 dpi (or higher) scan of the HQ base game boxart? I would like to properly clean it up to make it work as a printable poster.

I know that Les Edwards has posted a shot of the clean artwork on his page, but it's obviously too small for printing. Maybe it can be used to create a textless version of the artwork as an option, but obviously a bigger source would be necessary as a starting point. That being said, it looks like a magazine had the artwork as a double spread poster (which would be an absolute perfect starting point), but I have no idea which magazine that was. I've asked the guy who took that photo, but haven't heard back yet.

As kind of a reference what can be achieved, here are several poster size images I've created out of scans of video game boxes (and manuals, etc.): http://www.adventure-treff.de/Features/ ... ure-poster

EDIT:
A little update from the guy with the magazine photo: Turns out it was not from a magazine, but an actual Les Edwards artbook, Blood & Iron. You can see small shot of the double spread RIGHT HERE. I've already ordered the book and will do a full high-res scan (including taking the book apart so I can scan those pages flat).
Last edited by Laserschwert on December 18th, 2018, 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Laserschwert

Skeleton
Skeleton

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: HQ box artwork posters

Postby Laserschwert » December 18th, 2018, 8:56 pm

Well, the book has arrived, I've managed to scan the HeroQuest double spread and I spent a couple of hours cleaning it and blowing it up to printable poster size. Here are two versions of the artwork (as compressed JPEGs, so while they look good, the full-size PNGs linked below look even better):

And here you can download full resolution PNGs of both images: Variant A and Variant B (at 90x60cm, 200dpi). Resolution should be high enough for even bigger posters though. As long as you keep a 3:2 ratio, it should look good. Also here's the original scan, cleaned up, but without any filtering or upscaling for poster print.

By the way, the book also contained Les Edwards' artworks for both "Return of the Witch King" and "Kellar's Keep", so stay tuned for those as well.

Enjoy!
Last edited by Laserschwert on December 19th, 2018, 5:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Laserschwert

Skeleton
Skeleton

Postby Nicodemus » December 19th, 2018, 12:26 am

Fantastic! Thanks very much for contributing these and your time fixing them up for us!!

Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
Nicodemus

Mummy
Mummy

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Geofonos » December 19th, 2018, 6:40 am

Excellent work! Already downloaded both variants :D |_P |_P |_P
Will be waiting for Kellar's Keep and Return of the Witch Lord artwork as well.
Thank you very much for your time and effort!

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Geofonos

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Forum Language: Ελληνικά
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Laserschwert » December 19th, 2018, 7:54 am

As promised, here are Les Edwards' artworks to "Kellar's Keep" and "Return of the Witch Lord":

And again, here are both artworks at poster size, without JPEG compression (PNG, 60x80cm, 200dpi - but again, you should be able to print it at bigger sizes as well, keeping the 3:4 ratio):
Kellar's Keep and Return of the Witch Lord

Also here are the original scans, shrunk down to 300dpi, slightly cleaned up, but unfiltered: Kellar's Keep (original scan) and Return of the Witch Lord (original scan)

Now, I don't know who painted the US versions of those two artworks. Granted, they do look less detailed than Edwards' original paintings, but at least they got the horizontal extension going for them. The ROTWL artwork is signed "Talbot", anybody know which artist that is? From the looks of it I'd say he painted the (US-)KK artwork as well.

Last edited by Laserschwert on December 25th, 2018, 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Laserschwert

Skeleton
Skeleton

Postby mitchiemasha » December 19th, 2018, 9:09 am

Awesome. Thank you.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » December 19th, 2018, 10:30 am

Very much appreciated, indeed! |_P
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Maurice76 » December 19th, 2018, 10:47 am

These indeed look amazing! Thanks for the effort it took you to make this happen and thank you for sharing it with us! |_P

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Maurice76

High Mage
High Mage

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Thor-in » December 19th, 2018, 1:39 pm

Those are incredible, thanks.
:skeleton: "In The End We Are All Shadows and Dust" :skeleton:

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Thor-in

Scout
Scout

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Figomurphy » December 19th, 2018, 3:47 pm

Fantastic. Thank you.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges.
Figomurphy

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Next

Return to General HeroQuest Discussion