Searching for treasure ... US vs. EU
Today I decided to check on something that I always had a gut feeling about: treasure searches between the European edition and the US edition. As I've always played the European edition, I've never experienced the American edition. The main difference is the total amount of searches that can be performed, across all Heroes during the game. I've scanned the original Quest Book as well as those of the first two expansions and noticed that most quests use approximately 10 rooms, give or take a few, varying among quests. The amount of corridors shows roughly the same amount, but with a much wider spread - as low as 2 or 3 and as high as 15. This includes all those little nooks and corners that have just a single tile hallway, when a blocking tile has been placed one tile beyond a corner instead of directly around the corner of a hallway (which, by the way, is the primary reason for me to dislike the European rules on this aspect. I've also ignored pittraps as potential treasure hunting spots, because it seems to reward players for diving into a pittrap rather than to make them avoid that hazard).
Given this average amount, the European rules allow for roughly ~20 treasure searches on average with each quest, whereas the American version allows for pretty much double this amount. While the rules state that hazard cards have to be shuffled back into the pile and beneficial cards are removed once drawn, it does create a rather large skew between the two versions! Overall, I'd expect the American version to yield overall more treasure, creating richer Heroes, than the European version, simply because there's more to be found in the first place. That seems rather ... much?
The reason I did this is because soon me and my friends will likely make a run through the game and I'm scanning ahead for what rules would fit our group best. I intend to use Slev's Advanced revision of the rules, which seems to mostly lean on the American version. Since the European version used to be our standard, that is a significant difference. Of course, the American version also has the Apothecaries and with monsters having more bodypoints, it seems likely a lot of gold is being converted into potions when using the American rules. But does it compensate for the disparity between the number of possible treasure searches? Thoughts?
Given this average amount, the European rules allow for roughly ~20 treasure searches on average with each quest, whereas the American version allows for pretty much double this amount. While the rules state that hazard cards have to be shuffled back into the pile and beneficial cards are removed once drawn, it does create a rather large skew between the two versions! Overall, I'd expect the American version to yield overall more treasure, creating richer Heroes, than the European version, simply because there's more to be found in the first place. That seems rather ... much?
The reason I did this is because soon me and my friends will likely make a run through the game and I'm scanning ahead for what rules would fit our group best. I intend to use Slev's Advanced revision of the rules, which seems to mostly lean on the American version. Since the European version used to be our standard, that is a significant difference. Of course, the American version also has the Apothecaries and with monsters having more bodypoints, it seems likely a lot of gold is being converted into potions when using the American rules. But does it compensate for the disparity between the number of possible treasure searches? Thoughts?