Giant Space Wolves

Posted:
May 11th, 2017, 6:22 pm
by Mistral
So, I've been on the lookout for usable wolves for the Elf Quest pack, not wanting to pay the ridiculous prices the original single Giant Wolves are going on Evilbay (IF they are to be found). This is the next best thing out there in my humble opinion:
https://www.games-workshop.com/en-BE/Sp ... -Wolf-PackGlued, pased and primed and they look amazing actually. I did use the older GW double bases so they take up but two spaces of the game board as the Original wolves.
I might post some pics once they are painted.
Re: Giant Space Wolves

Posted:
May 11th, 2017, 6:34 pm
by Goblin-King
Mistral wrote:I might post some pics once they are painted.
Might? MIGHT?!
Lissen'ere boy... you don't "might" post some pictures of your painted minis. You damn well better post them pics!
Please
Re: Giant Space Wolves

Posted:
May 11th, 2017, 7:35 pm
by whitebeard
These were the best giant wolves I could find, and I too used the rectangular cavalry bases.
I use newer GW stuff for stand-ins wherever I can (Chaos Warriors, Skeletons, Dwarf, Elf) and I've expanded with a few others (River Trolls, Wight King, Cairn Wraith, etc.) and of course these wolves. I looked hard for Goblins, Orcs, and Fimir (bog raiders) but I fell in love with the HQ models once I had painted them!
While I've become much better with the brush over the past few years. My paint job on these was at best "okay".
Re: Giant Space Wolves

Posted:
May 12th, 2017, 1:03 am
by knightkrawler
Mistral wrote:So, I've been on the lookout for usable wolves for the Elf Quest pack, not wanting to pay the ridiculous prices the original single Giant Wolves are going on Evilbay (IF they are to be found). This is the next best thing out there in my humble opinion:
https://www.games-workshop.com/en-BE/Sp ... -Wolf-PackGlued, pased and primed and they look amazing actually. I did use the older GW double bases so they take up but two spaces of the game board as the Original wolves.
I might post some pics once they are painted.
I have those myself. Some of the GW models that don't have GWwritten all over them like most of their maxiatures do.
And POST THOSE PICS!
Re: Giant Space Wolves

Posted:
May 12th, 2017, 4:23 am
by Mistral
Since you've been asking so nicely (ahem):
"Space" Wolves for the Elf Quest:



And a troll for the Dwarven Quest (HoDD):

The large bases take up 4 squares but I guess once they get to that troll combat will be locked rather quick.
Still some work left painting everything up.

Re: Giant Space Wolves

Posted:
May 12th, 2017, 4:39 am
by The Admiral
Those wolves look perfect!
Re: Giant Space Wolves

Posted:
May 12th, 2017, 10:11 am
by torilen
Oh yes...those wolves look great there. I'd say better than the pics I've seen of the original wolves (never seen any in person).
And I'm loving that troll. Where did that come from?
And I have to agree with Goblin King - you don't "might" post pictures. If you say anything about posting pictures,
you just say you will. Otherwise, don't get everyone's hopes up...that's grounds for beheading.

Re: Giant Space Wolves

Posted:
May 12th, 2017, 10:44 am
by Goblin-King
The troll is a classic metal Warhammer Stone Troll
Re: Giant Space Wolves

Posted:
May 12th, 2017, 2:24 pm
by cornixt
They still sell that Troll model. Probably one of the oldest figures in the current GW lineup, at least 25 years old.
Re: Giant Space Wolves

Posted:
May 12th, 2017, 2:33 pm
by Goblin-King
cornixt wrote:They still sell that Troll model. Probably one of the oldest figures in the current GW lineup, at least 25 years old.
Holy crap, you are right!
https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Warhammer?Nu=product.repositoryId&N=102351+2166398747&qty=12&sorting=rec&view=table&categoryId=cat440002a-flatIt's even still metal and not "finecast" like most other older models.