• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Some advice needed for introducing HQ to the next generation

Discuss general topics relating to HeroQuest that don't fit well in the categories below.

Re: Some advice needed for introducing HQ to the next genera

Postby mitchiemasha » August 7th, 2017, 1:46 am

Jade wrote:When I was a child, I remember playing that monsters defend on white shields, as well.

This has come up quite a lot recently and i've just made a post in another thread. I thought we'd put it to bed a long time ago and i was wrong to say over on the GEEK that we had, some seem to still like it and want to use it. Quite like removing the roll to move mod!!! We usually convince people why roll to move is there and the mod is a bad idea. I'll repeat in saying, all the negative issues we've seen come up over the years, things abused in the original design, are only strengthened by making all monsters defend on white.

mitchiemasha wrote:And the reasons i oppose the idea are...

1. It breaks original theme. I'd be tempted to play similar but with the special dice, only for characters, bosses etc.
2. I like monsters to die quite a lot. HeroQuest is supposed to be a blood bath, Slash and Dash!
3. Splitting up should sometimes be an option, a risky option but still doable. All defend on white would make this impossible, death to all who try it and never be tried again. Quests with essential items and who goes where can result in some interesting player interactions, discussions, in game threats, arguments or cowardly actions. Especially quests with riddles, puzzles and tasks that need to be achieved, all removed by the mod of topic.
4. I prefer to find other ways to add spice to the game, like monster class special abilities, MAM, Waaagh, Tail Bash, Reach, Infected, Paralysis. 'The curse on this tomb is strong and the undead are easily reanimated' (undead must be finished off'). 'Ancient magic enchants the Chaos Warriors armour through it's orb, destroy the source of this magic to remove the effect' (a black shield rolled against them in attack negates a skull) same can be used on Skaven shields. The Evil Wizard Deck or Chaos Tokens, which counters time wasting, players cheating the original mechanics etc, featuring Traps, Characters, Fate, more Wandering Monsters and the dreaded Ambush. Hazard, rolling double 1's roll 1Cd6 skull lose 1BP, which combats players rerolling for high movement, time wasting, now each turn is a threat, its in and out. Nothing better than seeing that badly beaten Hero crying with each roll, attempting to exit the dungeon.
5. A total Hero wipe should be rare, to continue the story on mostly the group should survive, only picking up a new companion every now and then.
6. Weapons damage alone is enough to put Heroes in sticky situations later in the game. Also making treasure more important.
7. Simply making monsters defend on whites strengthens the reasons for players to abuse the original mechanics. All the issues we've seen brought up over the years made worse. The ideas above don't just add that extra spice, they work towards reducing and/or punishing Heroes who choose todo those things.

I see 'all monsters defend on white' almost as bad as removing the roll to move. It's one of the first things people tend to think of but it's very limited in imagination and sense of creativity. Just my opinion of course!!!

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Bareheaded Warrior » February 1st, 2022, 6:09 am

Having just spotted this post that I started some 5 years ago and reading my comments I have realised that 5 years of play and discussion has brought me a long way and I no longer agree with most of what I originally posted.

For the benefit of anyone looking for “some advice on introducing HQ to the next generation” I would suggest that they don’t start by reading this thread or at least not my original comments, the responses by others are still very valid! In light of this I’ve added an amended section on the first post to reflect my current thinking.
:skull: = white skull, one "hit"
:blackshield: = black skull, one "hit"
:whiteshield: = shield, cancels out one "hit"

Editions: 1989 Original First Edition [FE] and Second Edition [SE], 1990 Remake [US], 2021 Remake [21]

HeroQuest Gold new edition based on Original 1989 HeroQuest, holes patched, dents hammered out, buffed to a shiny finish with ~50 common issues fixed for a smoother experience.

HQ Common Notification System to identify squares on the board
Bareheaded Warrior

Scout
Scout

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » February 1st, 2022, 8:59 am

That's cool. I've changed my mind about stuff over the years too in this game. It happens!

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby dungeonsandataraxia » February 2nd, 2022, 10:59 am

All I did when my little brother was playing back in the day, who would have been like 7, was say "you're the barbarian, go kill stuff." IDK
dungeonsandataraxia

Zombie
Zombie

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon

Previous

Return to General HeroQuest Discussion