Page 1 of 2

What are the best Quests to get them "hooked"? +(My Story)

PostPosted: January 29th, 2015, 11:07 pm
by PersianImm0rtal
My group is pretty Advanced, but never played. They learn quick. Need a quest that will get them "hooked".

Back in 2003 when I was 13 years old I discovered the game of Hero Quest at a Savers thrift store in Ohio on top of a clothing wrack. I don't know how, but I ask my dad to buy it for me and he did. It was only $6 in MINT CONDITION. I was able to convince my brother and sister and the other friend to play the first three quests, but then life got in the way... Girl friends, moved to a new town, highschool, college, ect..... I was never able to get a group together to really start to enjoy this game. I never had any friends that were into board games or anything nerdy really... and so this game sat on the top shelf of my closet with boxes smashing it down for over 17 years, but somehow managed to survive in good condition, however the box is messed up a bit. Now I am 26 years old and I recently was able to get a group of my friends to become interested in board games. At first they only played Munchkin for months and months, and wouldn't try anything else. Now we've been playing weekly games of Munchkin, Catan, Pandemic, and other board games too. Now I have remembered that I still own this game, I want them to like it so that I can actually finish the quests that I've always dreamed about. I must make sure they get hooked instantly.

They like harder games, and learn quick. What are the best official or fan made single quests?

Re: What are the best Quests to get them "hooked"? +(My Stor

PostPosted: January 29th, 2015, 11:37 pm
by cynthialee
Quest 5 Melars Maze.
Do your best to kill all but one or two of them with them finishing the quest by the skin of their teeth. One of my favorites.

Re: What are the best Quests to get them "hooked"? +(My Stor

PostPosted: January 29th, 2015, 11:45 pm
by cynthialee
There is allot to be said for starting from the beginning. But I would skip the very first quest and go to quest 2.
The Trial is just too brutal for a first quest. It seems to have been designed to just grind a pack of newbies down on the first game. Which I do not believe is a good way to introduce a person to a game. Here...you just got mowed over. Thanks for nothing.

Re: What are the best Quests to get them "hooked"? +(My Stor

PostPosted: January 30th, 2015, 12:01 am
by PersianImm0rtal
cynthialee wrote:There is allot to be said for starting from the beginning. But I would skip the very first quest and go to quest 2.
The Trial is just too brutal for a first quest. It seems to have been designed to just grind a pack of newbies down on the first game. Which I do not believe is a good way to introduce a person to a game. Here...you just got mowed over. Thanks for nothing.



Really? I found it WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY to easy. I was able to get one of my friends to play all 4 heroes to test out the game on the first Quest to kill Verag. It was SUPER EASY. All he did was line up his heroes next to the door for each room and went in to attack in order, barbarian, dwarf, wizard, and then elf killing all the monsters in the room instantly before I had a chance to even move them. Then he would search for treasure four times in each room... One for each character... get a bunch of loot and then move on to the next room. Since then I have been thinking of ways to make the game harder for Quest 2 when my other three friends join in.

Re: What are the best Quests to get them "hooked"? +(My Stor

PostPosted: January 30th, 2015, 12:10 am
by cynthialee
I wouldn't think a room with 2 orks, a gargoyle and a chaos knight would be easy for a group that has never played before and has zero extra weapons, armor or potions left over from other dungeons. Then the room with 3 mummies, one with 2 chaos knights...This is not an easy dungeon to start on.
Your friend playing all 4 dudes gives him a bit of an advantage. He does not have to negotiate the will of three other players who have their own ideas on how things should go.

Re: What are the best Quests to get them "hooked"? +(My Stor

PostPosted: January 30th, 2015, 12:18 am
by cynthialee
Concentrate on a single target when attacking heroes if possible. Think like a team.
Just because they kill the Gargoyle in quest 1 doesn't mean they auto win on the spot. They have to get back out. I am pretty sure that the surviving 2 orks and chaos knight can at least kill off the Wizard and maybe one of the others.

Re: What are the best Quests to get them "hooked"? +(My Stor

PostPosted: May 26th, 2015, 3:23 pm
by Daedalus
PersianImm0rtal wrote:
cynthialee wrote:There is allot to be said for starting from the beginning. But I would skip the very first quest and go to quest 2.
The Trial is just too brutal for a first quest. It seems to have been designed to just grind a pack of newbies down on the first game. Which I do not believe is a good way to introduce a person to a game. Here...you just got mowed over. Thanks for nothing.



Really? I found it WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY to easy. I was able to get one of my friends to play all 4 heroes to test out the game on the first Quest to kill Verag. It was SUPER EASY. All he did was line up his heroes next to the door for each room and went in to attack in order, barbarian, dwarf, wizard, and then elf killing all the monsters in the room instantly before I had a chance to even move them. Then he would search for treasure four times in each room... One for each character... get a bunch of loot and then move on to the next room. Since then I have been thinking of ways to make the game harder for Quest 2 when my other three friends join in.

Got to this late, but if you haven't played yet consider skipping the first Quests and start in on a harder one in the middle of the Quest Book. If you'd rather not skip Quests, you could handicap the Heroes by removing a number of "good" treasures from the Treasure Card deck. Perhaps half of the gold and potions will do the trick.

Re: What are the best Quests to get them "hooked"? +(My Stor

PostPosted: May 26th, 2015, 7:43 pm
by el_flesh
You guys have GOT to be kidding me.
Without extra equipment and treasures I don't know how you could possibly survive a later quest!
Maybe you're using 1 bp monsters, I dunno.

We found that interest was only there when strong role playing elements were added; let Zarquon decide if player proposals for actions work or not. I had one guy want to do a backflip while jumping onto a table and flex his muscles. He rolled a 6 on the red dice, so it worked for him perfectly. Rolling a 1 = you fall and smash your head on the edge of the table. -1 bp and the goblins are no longer scared of your immense size; they are laughing at you being dazed.

Also....PAINT YOUR MINIS!!! Make sure you remove the seam lines first with a hobby knife.

Image

Re: What are the best Quests to get them "hooked"? +(My Stor

PostPosted: May 27th, 2015, 8:52 am
by PersianImm0rtal
Thanks for the replies

Re: What are the best Quests to get them "hooked"? +(My Stor

PostPosted: May 27th, 2015, 11:06 am
by el_flesh
I would agree with Cynthialee's second post on this. It's what I would have said. I wouldn't start them any higher than quest #2, simply because quest #1 turns most players off when they die straight out.