Page 1 of 8

Who here ACTUALLY plays HeroQuest?

PostPosted: November 24th, 2014, 11:42 am
by Goblin-King
torilen wrote:I haven't played in well over 10 years, maybe 15 or 20. I keep mine.
If nothing else, it offers me a fantasy game design and fantasy world design outlet....something structured
and the Inn offers a place to actually show off what I have designed, instead of it just being for me.


I was shocked and appalled when I read this!
Well, surprised at least how someone can spend so much time on a HeroQuest forum and not actually play.

It got me wondering, so just for giggles... Who here ACTUALLY plays HeroQuest?
Share your stories, HQ habits and reasoning:

**************

I play with friends maybe once or twice a month. Before that I had a break for around half a year.
Getting through the campaigns demands quite a bit of dedication.
There are a lot of quests, but you can't take too long breaks before you loose track of the story and progress.
So it's either intense gaming or vacation mode to charge up for more intense gaming - if that makes any sense...
I'd like to play more often, but it's hard to get the group together...

I'll say though that if I stopped playing HQ I'd still visit ye Olde Inn. It has really become my virtual local pub! |_P

Re: Who here ACTUALLY plays HeroQuest?

PostPosted: November 24th, 2014, 12:03 pm
by GimmeYerGold
Goblin-King wrote:I'll say though that if I stopped playing HQ I'd still visit ye Olde Inn. It has really become my virtual local pub! |_P


Same here! For me, I think 10 years or so passed between with I first "discovered" the Heroquest game system I have now, and when I finally got to sit down and play with other folks.

Currently, I play as Zargon and we game every other Thursday with 6 of my friends who play as the core heroes, plus a custom Hero monk and bard.

Not everyone can make it to every session, but with 6 total players, odds are there are enough to come to each session to make it worthwhile. We're about 8 quests into a custom campaign. I work really hard to keep them "hooked." :)

Occasionally, my friend will be Zargon for a one-off session here and there, and I'll get to play as a Hero--I learn a lot from these sessions. It's easy to forget what it's like on the other side of the screen after thinking as Zargon for so long!

Re: Who here ACTUALLY plays HeroQuest?

PostPosted: November 24th, 2014, 12:30 pm
by cynthialee
I am always the EWP player, never a player.
To be honest...I have never actually played as a hero. I only do the EWP thing and it is rare. Maybe 2 or three times a year on a good year.

Re: Who here ACTUALLY plays HeroQuest?

PostPosted: November 24th, 2014, 12:57 pm
by clmckay
I usually play with my family and sometimes a friend or two joins in. Since it's mainly my family we play regularly...usually on Wednesday night and occasionally on a Saturday (that's when the firend or two will sometimes stop by). I'm always Zargon. We probably do more of an RPG style. Each player has the same hero until we're done with a campaign or on occasion two characters will die in the same quest. If that happens those players may switch heroes just to mix it up. The occasional players keep their same characters and act as substitute heroes. Usually so my wife or someone will have other things to do on Saturday so the friend will just use his own character. We recently (several months ago)started over from scratch just so my wife could start at the begining. Sometimes we'll take a break from the campaigns to do either one-of quests (from the Inn, of course) or play the first quest of a fan made quest pack to see if we're going to like it.

Re: Who here ACTUALLY plays HeroQuest?

PostPosted: November 24th, 2014, 2:23 pm
by Schmidt
From when I joined till now my two youngest and my wife have played through GS, KK and 3 or 4 Q's of rotwl. I have never played, only been morcar. I'm mostly in it for the mini painting.

Re: Who here ACTUALLY plays HeroQuest?

PostPosted: November 24th, 2014, 2:38 pm
by cynthialee
Schmidt wrote:From when I joined till now my two youngest and my wife have played through GS, KK and 3 or 4 Q's of rotwl. I have never played, only been morcar. I'm mostly in it for the mini painting.

This I can relate to.
I gave my brother a full HQ set with all the minis painted just so I could have the excuse I needed to buy more minis because I gave allot away.
:D

Re: Who here ACTUALLY plays HeroQuest?

PostPosted: November 24th, 2014, 2:48 pm
by artisturn
It is all family members in our group so getting a game is a little easier, normally it is once a week that we play. But my wife hurt her back at work so last night was the first time she played in three weeks.

My Nephew and I have been getting in side quest during that down time with his two characters Barbarian and Dwarf.

I wish we could get our other friends who say they are hardcore gamers to play but they won't play Heroquest ,It is not an RPG game so they won't play. My wife thinks it is pretty silly on how some of our friends say how they are hardcore gamers but yet we can't get them to play at all.

Last night We played quest eight of the main game and once we knock that quest book out it is on to Keller's Keep. but with my wife's back issues it is going to take a little longer then I thought for us to finish the main quest book.

Re: Who here ACTUALLY plays HeroQuest?

PostPosted: November 24th, 2014, 2:50 pm
by slev
Last December, I finished a 7.5 year campaign. I'm taking a break.

Re: Who here ACTUALLY plays HeroQuest?

PostPosted: November 24th, 2014, 3:00 pm
by GimmeYerGold
slev wrote:Last December, I finished a 7.5 year campaign. I'm taking a break.


O_______O That's a lot of Saturday nights in the dungeon.

Re: Who here ACTUALLY plays HeroQuest?

PostPosted: November 24th, 2014, 3:02 pm
by Schmidt
Artisturn, shouting to his wife in her upstairs sickbed.
"I rolled 7 for movement, what do you wanna do?"
Wife "go east!"
Artisturn "you fell in a trap."
Wife "darn!" or however ladies swear