Page 1 of 3
On what kind of board do you most enjoy playing HeroQuest?

Posted:
November 11th, 2014, 5:18 pm
by GimmeYerGold
Curious to know your experiences with whatever way you've played on, favorite or otherwise. Pros, Cons, etc.
So far, I've tried all three. I like the convenience of the original board, but it can get crowded with monsters+funiture+extra players.
The big board is great, but it is just that--BIG. Sometimes our table doesn't have enough room for it. Some of the original maps need a bit of modification for this, too.
The modular system is very fun, and surprising for the players, but a little more tedious to literally lay down each room. Also, I can't help but getting nostalgic for the original board layout.
I've never used a battle mat for HQ, but I could see how it has its freedom, and drawbacks as well.
At this point in my Zargon career, (haha) I'm looking for a balance between speed of setup/breakdown, and overall player enjoyment. Anything that creates a distraction and takes away from the enjoyment of the game ought to be reconsidered.
Re: On what kind of board do you most enjoy playing HeroQues

Posted:
November 11th, 2014, 5:52 pm
by cynthialee
I prefer to go with Dungeon Tiles from D&D and the furniture from HQ. The rooms on the HQ board are just too small.
Re: On what kind of board do you most enjoy playing HeroQues

Posted:
November 11th, 2014, 5:55 pm
by clmckay
For simple nostalgia sake, I love the original HQ board the best. As previously stated though, it gets crowded. I picked up a vinyl version of the original layout and it has larger squares. It's perfect. I've also recently picked up some battlemats with different locations and had some Pathfinder Flip-Mats printed on Vinyl. Those are really nice to add spice and variety. But when I'm in the mood to relive childhood I always grab the standard board.
Re: On what kind of board do you most enjoy playing HeroQues

Posted:
November 11th, 2014, 6:09 pm
by Goblin-King
Standard board all day every day!
There are many good dungeon crawlers, but HQ is something special.
We play it 100% vanilla. We use original board, minis, cards and rules.
Only a little house ruling to fix unclear rules.
Re: On what kind of board do you most enjoy playing HeroQues

Posted:
November 11th, 2014, 6:40 pm
by whitebeard
I just printed a board at 30mm and it's great. The furniture fits (takes up the right number of squares) and the crowding at the doors is totally eliminated. Basically the short dimension is now the size of the long dimension. It is bigger and the table can get crowded with all of Zargon's stuff, but any large table works just fine.
Re: On what kind of board do you most enjoy playing HeroQues

Posted:
November 11th, 2014, 6:44 pm
by knightkrawler
whitebeard wrote:I just printed a board at 30mm and it's great. The furniture fits (takes up the right number of squares) and the crowding at the doors is totally eliminated. Basically the short dimension is now the size of the long dimension. It is bigger and the table can get crowded with all of Zargon's stuff, but any large table works just fine.
QFT.
Flint's board rocks Slovakian porn actress asses.
Re: On what kind of board do you most enjoy playing HeroQues

Posted:
November 11th, 2014, 6:49 pm
by GimmeYerGold
Goblin-King wrote:Standard board all day every day!
There are many good dungeon crawlers, but HQ is something special.
We play it 100% vanilla. We use original board, minis, cards and rules.
Only a little house ruling to fix unclear rules.
^ This sounds like bliss. The more I customize, the more I find myself working back to vanilla, or close to vanilla as possible.
Re: On what kind of board do you most enjoy playing HeroQues

Posted:
November 11th, 2014, 9:52 pm
by Count Mohawk
At my house, we primarily Quest with the normal board. I do have two homemade sets of modular board tiles though - one 40mm from wood and one 30mm from foam board. In retrospect, I wish I had made the wood board 30mm as well, since it fits our dinner table much better that size.
If I ever feel the need to do more crafting, I wouldn't mind learning how to mold some plaster tiles though.
Re: On what kind of board do you most enjoy playing HeroQues

Posted:
November 12th, 2014, 12:55 am
by artisturn
Standard board is all that I played on so far.
But I did cut up a board,removed all the hallways and center room and had the four quarters left over which I stacked using the pillars for wedding cakes.
That way I was able to play multi leveled maps.
I have also been on the Hirst Arts web page quite a bit recently, I have my eye on some molds and love to make the standard board in 3D.
Re: On what kind of board do you most enjoy playing HeroQues

Posted:
November 17th, 2014, 12:20 am
by Redav
I voted the original but only by default as that's what we've played. I intend on trying a larger board at some point though. I work for an engineering firm so there's an A0 plotter sitting metres from where I sit and we have photo paper for presentation prints. I might 'borrow' some of that at some point

How does a 30 mm board go? We play on a 900 x 1800 table and I sit at the end and it's a little cosy. When we move into a real house I'll come up with something larger because the door / mini issue gets annoying.