Page 1 of 2

Can't edit text in custom HQ cards using GIMP [CLOSED]

PostPosted: October 16th, 2014, 12:24 am
by Jafazo
Off the Olde Inn website I downloaded pdf. files of Hero Cards and Spells so I could tinker around with'em, but I don't have photoshop. I'm using GIMP to open the files and I did install all the fonts on Windows 8.1 by right clicking each font and choosing 'install'. For some reason, when I click on the 'A' in GIMP to modify text, and after I've chosen the right layer, I can't click on text to modify it. Does GIMP not work with the pdf files to adjust character sheets, cards etc or what am I missing?

Update - 10/22/14
The layers in the Card Editor I'm using are inserted as images, as I suspected, so I've just been deleting layers and applying my own pictures or text. Thank you for all the responses. I've also recently recovered my use of Photoshop and will be upgrading to that as opposed to relying on GIMP. Good Gaming everyone.

Re: Can't edit text in custom HQ cards using GIMP

PostPosted: October 16th, 2014, 12:32 am
by drathe
You can't modify the text because there is likely no text present to modify. Saving as a PDF in Photoshop converts all layers to jpg format images by default. There is no longer a "text" layer that can be edited. The text has been converted into an image.

Re: Can't edit text in custom HQ cards using GIMP

PostPosted: October 16th, 2014, 9:20 am
by Jafazo
Blasted... I was hoping that wasn't the case. I guess I'll have to figure out which font type goes into which section between card texts, titles and such. Is it just the standard Hero Quest font? Thanks for the reply.

Re: Can't edit text in custom HQ cards using GIMP

PostPosted: October 16th, 2014, 9:31 am
by JasonMCM
That information is somewhere in the inn. I can't remember where exactly and my break is up so I can't go searching for you... Happy hunting.

Re: Can't edit text in custom HQ cards using GIMP

PostPosted: October 16th, 2014, 11:37 am
by Schmidt
Find Patroclus card editor!

Re: Can't edit text in custom HQ cards using GIMP

PostPosted: October 17th, 2014, 7:04 am
by mitchiemasha
http://heroquest.no-ip.com/ Go there.

http://heroquest.no-ip.com/files/HeroQuest-CardCreator.rar That is a download link to a card creator. It's a standalone program. I've only briefly looked at it as I use photoshop.

Re: Can't edit text in custom HQ cards using GIMP

PostPosted: October 19th, 2014, 11:24 am
by Gold Bearer
mitchiemasha wrote:That is a download link to a card creator. It's a standalone program. I've only briefly looked at it as I use photoshop.
WHAT!?! Oh you've got to be joking! :x

It's your turn in the maze Mitchiemasha.

Re: Can't edit text in custom HQ cards using GIMP

PostPosted: October 19th, 2014, 11:55 am
by artisturn
mitchiemasha wrote:http://heroquest.no-ip.com/ Go there.

http://heroquest.no-ip.com/files/HeroQuest-CardCreator.rar That is a download link to a card creator. It's a standalone program. I've only briefly looked at it as I use photoshop.



The card creator is a neat program, has any one tried added more images to it ?

As a group we discussed that we will not use any home brewed stuff till we are done with the main quest book.

Re: Can't edit text in custom HQ cards using GIMP

PostPosted: October 19th, 2014, 4:46 pm
by mitchiemasha
Gold Bearer wrote:
mitchiemasha wrote:That is a download link to a card creator. It's a standalone program. I've only briefly looked at it as I use photoshop.
WHAT!?! Oh you've got to be joking! :x

It's your turn in the maze Mitchiemasha.



I'm confused, joking?

Re: Can't edit text in custom HQ cards using GIMP

PostPosted: October 19th, 2014, 5:57 pm
by Gold Bearer
mitchiemasha wrote:
Gold Bearer wrote:
mitchiemasha wrote:That is a download link to a card creator. It's a standalone program. I've only briefly looked at it as I use photoshop.
WHAT!?! Oh you've got to be joking! :x

It's your turn in the maze Mitchiemasha.
I'm confused, joking?
No, it really was your turn in the maze. :) No, I wish I'd known there was a card maker program before I made a crap load of cards, it could of saved me a lot of time and tedium. Depends whether other pictures can be plugged into it, I haven't tried it yet. I actually hope it's kind of useless.

Edit: It's our turn again now. ;)