Page 1 of 2

3d Printing

PostPosted: March 12th, 2014, 3:20 pm
by dragonogard
I was just curious if anybody has dabbled in the 3d modeling of characters yet. I picked up a 3d printer and plan on designing my own guys. I wanted to see if anybody has done this yet.

Re: 3d Printing

PostPosted: March 12th, 2014, 3:29 pm
by Thantos
Yea, check the store in my sig :)
Nearly everything i sculpt is digital and i print out.

What type of printer have you? Ive been meaning to pick up a FDM machine to do basic shapes for scenery and stuff as an armature almost, and then putty over the top for them. How are your prints looking?

Re: 3d Printing

PostPosted: May 7th, 2014, 6:45 am
by Sjeng
Is this any good? 2 hours left on KS guys.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/m3 ... d-printer/

Re: 3d Printing

PostPosted: May 7th, 2014, 11:26 am
by Thantos
Sjeng wrote:Is this any good? 2 hours left on KS guys.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/m3 ... d-printer/


This should answer your question ;)
Image

But yea thats the kind of cheap FDM machine id like to get for blocking out shapes and stuff. I just dont like the pay now and get later KS approach too much :(

Re: 3d Printing

PostPosted: May 7th, 2014, 12:16 pm
by knightkrawler
I'm slowly starting to hate what crowdfunding has become over the last year and a half.

Re: 3d Printing

PostPosted: May 7th, 2014, 12:43 pm
by chaoticprime
knightkrawler wrote:I'm slowly starting to hate what crowdfunding has become over the last year and a half.


Stores ran by *Play-Doh Factories*?

Re: 3d Printing

PostPosted: May 7th, 2014, 1:16 pm
by knightkrawler
Future stores ran by people with delusions.

Re: 3d Printing

PostPosted: May 7th, 2014, 1:17 pm
by knightkrawler
I'm gonna invest in that 3D printer and then I'm gonna print out me own store without financial risk because it will be funded by a crowd printed out by me with my 3D awesome printer thingamajingie.

Re: 3d Printing

PostPosted: May 8th, 2014, 1:23 pm
by Daedalus
For many kickstarters, isn't there financial risk assumed in the prototyping phase? Bringing about a printer to show on You Tube involves a fair chunk of change and a lot of effort. Without that initial investment from the creators, they won't attract enough pledgers.

Traditionally, entrepeneurs need to not only invest personal funds, but also secure soft money from friends and family. And usually they still need the investment banker. When the establishment money is cut out, the market benefits with a cheaper, albeit sometimes unreliable good that may not actually possess the apparent value. I don't have a problem with the crowdfunding market making that call instead of the suit. More ideas see the light of day. More little guys achieve thier dream. Fewer family members and friends are called on to share the risk.

Like many of us, I got me some Reaper Bones through two kickstarters. Did that established company require a kickstarter to succeed? No. But without crowdfunding, maybe a tenth of those figures would be available today at a much higher cost than I got them by pledging. That company really cashed in by circumventing their standard production plan with a couple of kickstarters. They also put in a helluva lot of effort to pull it off. The market benefits today with expanded product. Their business benefited and bought an injection molder to produce in-house. Aren't those good things?

Re: 3d Printing

PostPosted: May 8th, 2014, 2:31 pm
by chaoticprime
I have a super-badass $500.00 color laser printer that can fabricate most documents perfectly. I have not used it in three years, because it costs over $250.00 for toner. Explain to me how this will not be like that. (Not a challenge, I really want to know).