Page 1 of 1

3D Treasure pile

PostPosted: October 18th, 2013, 12:50 pm
by sajungzak
I posted this yesterday on a thread called 'making treasure more real'. I had misinterpreted the topic somewhat and I think it merits its own spot.
This three dimensional treasure pile can be used as an alternative for the treasure chest furniture.

Here are some pics with a sloppy paint job, with a goblin for scale.

Image

Image

Image

First, cut a disc out of some thin corkboard, or whatever you want to use for a base. I used a cork coaster from the fabric/hobby store.
Then start piling on some glue. I used some kind of puffy '3d' glue meant for paper crafting, but it could probably be most any kind of normal glue that dries thick. Regular Elmers should work fine.
I started with a sort of backwards C shape so I could set a skull into the gold. When it finished drying, I carved out enough room for the peg to fit into.
The idea is to build it up one layer at a time. Start with the general shape you want the bottom of the gold to be, and fill it in without letting it run over the sides.
The glue should be dry before you add another layer. This will take some time.

When you are satisfied with the size and shape of the pile of dried glue, it is time to add the gold.
Find some glitter with the biggest size glit you can. This won't cost very much.
For jewels, get the smallest rhinestones you can find. This will cost a little more, but it's not very expensive.

Cover your glue pile with some more glue, and put the glitter all over it. Paint it gold. Seraphim Sepia looks good here.
Glue the rhinestones on the gold, then add a glob of mod podge gloss so it looks cool.
Put a little more glitter on and around the edges of some of the jewels for realism. Try not to get gold paint on the jewels. Difficulty: Hard
Paint your base.
If you got silver glitter, add a fleck or two here and there with your sealer to add some pieces of silver. I use mod podge matte. The light i used in the pics makes the miniatures look more shiny than they do under normal light and viewed with the naked eye.

Easy, cheap, and looks great in HeroQuest!

Re: 3D Treasure pile

PostPosted: October 18th, 2013, 4:14 pm
by sajungzak
Here is a pic of the materials I used.
Image

Re: 3D Treasure pile

PostPosted: October 18th, 2013, 10:58 pm
by el_flesh
There's another post of this idea somewhere in the far past...

I like this idea so much I think I will try it! thanx for the idea!

Re: 3D Treasure pile

PostPosted: October 18th, 2013, 11:19 pm
by Seb
That is a fund idea - (I think I'll leave that typo in there hah!)

Will give this a try when I wander by the next craft hobby store.

Re: 3D Treasure pile

PostPosted: October 19th, 2013, 12:04 am
by sajungzak
I couldn't find the site where I saw it long ago but was able to remember how to do it. Pretty easy and adding a gloss to the jewels looks cool.

Re: 3D Treasure pile

PostPosted: October 19th, 2013, 4:57 am
by Big Bene
I think a similar technique was described on the Reaper website. I had buyed some cheap glitter planning to do this one time - have it still lying around somewhre...

Re: 3D Treasure pile

PostPosted: October 24th, 2013, 2:04 am
by sajungzak
That's very likely where I saw it then. tried googling it to no avail. They had a lego sword sticking out of it. I like the HQ skull better.

Re: 3D Treasure pile

PostPosted: October 27th, 2013, 4:38 am
by Big Bene
Here's where I saw it:
http://www.reapermini.com/TheCraft/33
No Lego sword, so you probably found it elsewhere...

Re: 3D Treasure pile

PostPosted: October 27th, 2013, 11:50 am
by sajungzak
Yeah, nope. I saw it somewhere else.

Be sure to post pics if you make one.

It really looks cool in the game. You should have seen the eyes on the Dwarf when he opened the door to the room with this in it for the first time. I put it in Felmargs tomb on the first quest. (after two misleading treasure searches he was convinced this one would come to fruition. He was right!)