Page 1 of 3

My HeroQuest story.

PostPosted: June 11th, 2013, 9:58 pm
by Decipher
So, I figure I'd throw this out there just cause I'm new and all.

When HeroQuest came out here in the US, I was 14 years old and was a little old for boardgames in general. However, having been a devoted D&D player since I was 5, I was looking forward to playing a few games. My cousin bought HQ first earlier in 1990, so I got to play a couple of times at his house during summer break. But at Christmas, my awesome Grandmother purchased a copy from the Sears Christmas catalog, which by the way came with a bonus pack of 4 Goblins and 4 Orcs. When we were all at her house for Christmas, my two cousins and I set everything up in the basement. The stove was burning with a hot fire, it was snowing outside and all the adults were asleep. We rocked HQ for 14 straight hours without any sleep and a few breaks of Dr. Pepper and Cheesy Puffs. Probably the most fun I have ever had playing HQ.

Fast forward to a few years ago, my daughter, who was 8 at the time, had been playing D&D and Magic: The Gathering with me since she was 6. Yes, 6 is young, but she is a smart and nerdy kid and she loved the whole table-top genre. So, anyway, we moved a few years ago and I found all my HeroQuest stuff in storage and decided to try it out with her. Now, its HQ every single night with her and my wife. We haven't played D&D or Magic or even touched the XBOX in months. My cousin still comes over every now and then to play with us bringing back memories when we were kids. In fact, I have spent a lot of cash lately trying to get more HQ from Ebay just so we can keep rocking out quests. Personally, I think Heroquest is the best boardgame ever made and I have a spare copy stored in my Zombie Apocalypse survival pack.

Anyway, just thought I would share this with you all and I am trying to carry on the tradition with my kids. Would like to read anyone's stories if they were to post.

Re: My HeroQuest story.

PostPosted: June 12th, 2013, 12:03 am
by TMU
Nice story, 14h straight play?! That's a lot! You got some nice memories from the times you played as a kid.

About the other stories, there are tons of them here. Try using search with "hello" :)

Re: My HeroQuest story.

PostPosted: June 12th, 2013, 1:27 am
by Goblin-King
Very heartwarming! There is just something magical about hero quest! We've all felt it...

Re: My HeroQuest story.

PostPosted: June 12th, 2013, 2:19 am
by knightkrawler
There you go. A tear in my eye.
This story sounds very similar to mine, cousin getting HQ first, me getting it fro Christmas, hours long sessions during summer break...
I think - I hope - I presented my story here somewhere...

Re: My HeroQuest story.

PostPosted: June 12th, 2013, 3:31 am
by Decipher
Cool replies guys... I'm sure most of you can relate, but for me, there always was and still is a huge difference between playing HeroQuest and playing D&D. I guess its the simplistic but detailed rules, the visuals of the game itself and the diverse angles of the whole system but HQ is such a fun game in every way. My cousin and I played many, many hours at his house or my Grandmother's house and it was a blast. Between HeroQuest and the 8-bit NES, I don't think he and I ever slept.

Re: My HeroQuest story.

PostPosted: June 12th, 2013, 4:21 am
by Sjeng
Nice story. I wish I had played HQ as a kid, but I never owned it. I bought my copy in June 2011, 2 years ago. Been hooked ever since.
I did however spend countless hours on a friend's NES and SNES. Mario FTW!

Re: My HeroQuest story.

PostPosted: June 12th, 2013, 4:29 am
by Decipher
Sjeng, you should see my NES collection, you would pass out. My daughters and I would rather play Tetris, Kirby or Contra any day than Gears of War, Assassins Creed or Halo. At least you were able to get a copy of HQ and play now than never right?

Re: My HeroQuest story.

PostPosted: June 12th, 2013, 6:27 am
by Goblin-King
Sjeng wrote:Nice story. I wish I had played HQ as a kid, but I never owned it. I bought my copy in June 2011, 2 years ago. Been hooked ever since.
I did however spend countless hours on a friend's NES and SNES. Mario FTW!


Are you inverse-me? I played HQ as a kid but never owned a NES until 2011!

(I had a C64 though)

Re: My HeroQuest story.

PostPosted: June 12th, 2013, 6:57 am
by Sjeng
Well, I bought my first SNES back in unversity, secondhand, with Mario World, allstars, kart and some other games. I always went to a friend to play :P
I did however own a C64 too, with a cassette player and a home made cartridge for extra memory and cheat options :P
Then I had an Amiga 500, with 3.5" floppys. That thing was amazing!

This topic is quickly turning into nostalgia road...

Re: My HeroQuest story.

PostPosted: June 12th, 2013, 8:17 am
by Goblin-King
Sjeng wrote:This topic is quickly turning into nostalgia road...

HELL YEAH!

But actually I think it's interesting that you love HQ while only having known it as an adult.
That just proves that the appeal of HQ is more than just nostalgia.