Page 1 of 1

New here and expansion question.

PostPosted: June 11th, 2013, 1:32 am
by Decipher
Hello all,

I have been coming here for years now checking out yeoldeinn.com but I have never used the forums, but I read them constantly. I have kind of a newbie question and it will probably be pretty stupid to most of you since you all know more than I do.

My question is, with the Elf and Barbarian expansions, are the quests for use with the original 4 HeroQuest characters or are they used with only the figures included with the expansions?

Second part of that question, with the Elf expansion, if I use two Elves, can I use the original HeroQuest spells or do I use the new Elf spells or do I mix them up? Im so lost with the Elf expansion.

Thanks all for any help.

Re: New here and expansion question.

PostPosted: June 11th, 2013, 5:52 am
by TMU
Firstly, welcome to the Inn!

About your questions, you play EQP and BQP with original heroes, however, if elf/barbarian is a female, she may use alternative hero.

To the pther question, you can use only one hero of a type, so not two elves. :)

Re: New here and expansion question.

PostPosted: June 11th, 2013, 6:28 am
by Sjeng
Hello, welcome to the inn! I hope to see some of your stuff, so don't be afraid to post pictures of your games, minis etc. :)

Re: New here and expansion question.

PostPosted: June 11th, 2013, 8:15 am
by knightkrawler
TMU wrote:Firstly, welcome to the Inn!

About your questions, you play EQP and BQP with original heroes, however, if elf/barbarian is a female, she may use alternative hero.

To the pther question, you can use only one hero of a type, so not two elves. :)


That's right.

About the spells: Elf spells come into play IF the Elf prefers them rather than any one of the old spell sets. The Wizard does NOT get to have the Elf spells.
IF the Elf chooses the Elf spell set (which consists of 8 spells) he must choose 3 from these 8.

Re: New here and expansion question.

PostPosted: June 11th, 2013, 4:46 pm
by Decipher
Ah, I got it guys, thanks a bunch. I was just a little lost.

Im currently working on a cut out table to drop the HQ board down with a sheet of glass going over top of it to keep all the loose tiles down on the board.

If I can ever finish it, I will post a ton of pics of it along with all our other HQ items.

Thanks for the welcome, I should have stopped in and said Hi years ago.

Again, thanks.

Re: New here and expansion question.

PostPosted: June 12th, 2013, 9:21 pm
by Daedalus
Better late than never. I'm sure whatever you have to post now will be a whole lot more interesting than what you haven't posted as a lurker. :)

I'll second what TMU and knightkrawler told you and add a bit more. While many will play the EQP and BQP with the same four Heroes that were used in the previous Game System Quests and expansions (recommended), it is also stated that a new player may play the first three Quests with a new Elf or Barbarian (male or female), depending on the expansion. Since these beginning Quests are all solos, it is possible (but not required) to play with the figures just from the expansion box for these three Quests. If instead all of the players are playing Heroes from previous Quests, then the Elf player would play the first three Quests alone as a two-player game with the Zargon player. Only on the fourth Quest would everybody play together again.

If not just the Elf or Barbarian, but all of the Heroes started out new in the EQP or BQP, then things would almost certainly go south quickly in Quest 4. To avoid this, each of the other three Heroes should start with gold coin treasure, equipment, and artifacts equivalent what the Elf or Barbarian has gotten from the first three Quests. But you probably already knew this.

Re: New here and expansion question.

PostPosted: June 12th, 2013, 9:26 pm
by Decipher
Daedalus wrote:Better late than never. I'm sure whatever you have to post now will be a whole lot more interesting than what you haven't posted as a lurker. :)

I'll second what TMU and knightkrawler told you and add a bit more. While many will play the EQP and BQP with the same four Heroes that were used in the previous Game System Quests and expansions (recommended), it is also stated that a new player may play the first three Quests with a new Elf or Barbarian (male or female), depending on the expansion. Since these beginning Quests are all solos, it is possible (but not required) to play with the figures just from the box for these three Quests. If instead all of the players are playing Heroes from previous Quests, then the Elf player would play the first three Quests alone as a two-player game with the Zargon player. Only on the fourth Quest will everybody play together again.



Ah, okay. Thanks Dardalus, I have been lost for a while with the Elf quest.

Re: New here and expansion question.

PostPosted: June 12th, 2013, 10:07 pm
by Daedalus
That's understandable, so asking for a forum concensus is a good idea. I think the problem arises from the vague wording found on p. 7, right at the beginning of Playing the Quest Pack for the Elf. The first sentence sort of explains things:

    These ten Quests are generally played the same way as the Quests
    in the Game System....
From this I understand that we are to infer the original four Heroes are used in the expansion.

But then under 1. The Quests, there are the exceptions about solo play, which complicates things a bit. Finally, the transition to four Hero play is explained:

    The next five Quests are all group Quests....
I figure the idea to be taken here is that group Quests are the assumed way the Quests in the Game System are played, as mentioned above in the opening sentence. So all four Heroes are needed to complete the expansion.