Page 1 of 3

More than four Heroes

PostPosted: February 27th, 2013, 8:32 am
by bastianbux
So I'm finally starting my first HeroQuest campaign in nearly two decades. However, more friends expressed interest than I was anticipating. I think I'll have six people playing Heroes. I have the extra figures (I have a copy of Dungeons & Dragons Fantasy Adventure Board Game) and I'm creating two extra classes... but is there anything I'm forgetting? Any reason why two additional Heroes might pose a problem in the playing of the game?

Re: More than four Heroes

PostPosted: February 27th, 2013, 9:00 am
by Goblin-King
Well, if you are playing the pre-made quests from the game system the heroes are gonna steamroll everything. You might want to include more and/or stronger monsters.
Keep in mind that you (Morcar) is going to wait through 6 players turn before your monsters get a chance to move.

If your new heroes use spells, do you have the extra spells needed?

Re: More than four Heroes

PostPosted: February 27th, 2013, 9:15 am
by Sjeng
You can always make up houserules that Morcar may move twice, inbetween 3 heroes turns. 3 heroes - morcar - 3 heroes - morcar.
Or simply add more/stronger monsters as suggested before.
Or see if you can play 1 monster inbetween every heroes turn. hero 1 - 1 monster - hero 2 - 1 monster etc... - morcar (all monsters) - hero 1 - 1 monster - etc.

They will get better armor more slowly, as they'll have to divide gold/loot over more people.

Re: More than four Heroes

PostPosted: February 27th, 2013, 10:12 am
by torilen
I would go with the idea of the evil wizard moving between every 3 heroes myself, if you were going
to change when the evil wizard moves.

Otherwise...just make sure you have enough copies of all the spells, and I would certainly add new hero types/classes,
not only to keep things different, but to give everyone the chance to be in the spotlight.
And you will, of course, want to add monsters or beef things up a bit. This thread offers a very clear and concise talk
on my idea of how to balance things out nicely.
viewtopic.php?f=143&t=1587&p=18165#p18165


If you haven't come up with your two new heroes yet, make sure to check out my additional cards - I have 6 sets up
on the inn so far. Set number 1 is the most extensive...and I might suggest that one if you want to include more spells
and a "priest" type character. Also - check out my expanded monsters, hero spells, and evil wizard spells here:
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=1212&p=17772#p17772


Good luck. Hope you have fun with all those players.

Re: More than four Heroes

PostPosted: February 27th, 2013, 5:55 pm
by bastianbux
I hadn't thought of the fact that Zargon/Morcar might need to move twice in a round. Good idea about moving on 3 and 6. I did realize I might need to include more monsters. I was going to try to include at least one or two extras of the same type for every room that has a monster, depending. But it didn't occur to me that Zargon/Morcar would need to move in the middle of the Heroes as well, that's a good point.

As far as the additional Hero classes, I think I (almost) have that covered over in the now-inappropriately-named thread on this board "Legacy of Soracil class types" I started. I ended up with a Priest-ish character (a Warrior Priest was the closest I could find in Warhammer universe) and I've adapted his spells from Advanced HeroQuest/Warhammer Quest ones that seemed appropriate. I'm struggling with the sixth class, though.

Re: More than four Heroes

PostPosted: February 27th, 2013, 6:47 pm
by Maike05
Or you can use dnd board game turn system with its special cards. One initiative card per player. SHuffle at every turn's beginning and you will always have a different initiative order. This makes ense when thre are so many players.

Re: More than four Heroes

PostPosted: February 27th, 2013, 7:30 pm
by mako-heart
bastianbux wrote:So I'm finally starting my first HeroQuest campaign in nearly two decades. However, more friends expressed interest than I was anticipating. I think I'll have six people playing Heroes. I have the extra figures (I have a copy of Dungeons & Dragons Fantasy Adventure Board Game) and I'm creating two extra classes... but is there anything I'm forgetting? Any reason why two additional Heroes might pose a problem in the playing of the game?


When I play with more than four hero's it makes the game alot longer as well what would normaly be a 1 hour quest usally turns into a 2 hour quest so keep that in mind as well.Especially if the players are new to the game. :2cents:

Re: More than four Heroes

PostPosted: February 27th, 2013, 9:05 pm
by bastianbux
Maike05 wrote:Or you can use dnd board game turn system with its special cards. One initiative card per player. SHuffle at every turn's beginning and you will always have a different initiative order. This makes ense when thre are so many players.


I actually just thought of that, too. But I wonder if just that alone will prevent the six Heroes from steamrolling poor ol' Morcar. I think the people who have suggested that Morcar gets two moves per round (if there are six Heroes) are onto something. But do you think that if I did the Initiative Card thing (I have them, I have D&D FABG) that would be enough and I could just keep Morcar at one turn?

Re: More than four Heroes

PostPosted: February 28th, 2013, 3:34 pm
by el_flesh
I would simply add more monsters, especially boss ones. even 6 heros would be hard-pressed to go thru the maze first quest. You could always add a few chaos warriors to the game that can ATTACK two heros per turn, one magic one physical. Give a Zombie 1 poison autodmg to anyone adjacent! Let the mummy, an undead prince have magic attax!

Monsters that are intelligent should raise the alarm when they see a hero, calling all other intelligent monsters to them!

Re: More than four Heroes

PostPosted: February 28th, 2013, 5:21 pm
by Goblin-King
Also remember the quest maps are more like... guidelines.

Feel free to add extra monsters'n'stuff on the go