Page 1 of 3

Snotling not included

PostPosted: December 18th, 2012, 8:59 pm
by Nephew of Mentor
On the back of the Kellar's Keep quest book is an image of 6 different creatures with the phrase "The Minions of Morcar" below them. Going from top to bottom, left to right there is a Fimir, skeleton, orc, chaos warrior, goblin, and there is a tiny guy between the Chaos warrior's legs. What is this? Is this a snotling? Or is it just a goblin runt? I know nothing about snotlings except for the images I've seen on this site, what do you folks think?

Re: Snotling not included

PostPosted: December 18th, 2012, 11:00 pm
by Blackthorn
That might be my least favorite artwork in the HeroQuest universe. :p

Re: Snotling not included

PostPosted: December 19th, 2012, 12:18 am
by Seb
Definitely a snotling. Never really looked at that cover section before. So it's official, the runts are in! :D

Re: Snotling not included

PostPosted: December 19th, 2012, 9:29 am
by Goblin-King
I'd say snotling too. Always wondered about that image. Strange to include a monster not actually in the game!

Re: Snotling not included

PostPosted: December 19th, 2012, 9:59 am
by TMU
i Think it's the only one of it's kind pictures on HQ, other ones are more cartoonish :P

Re: Snotling not included

PostPosted: December 19th, 2012, 10:20 am
by Blackthorn
The rendering of the monsters in this picture is just awful and I'm glad they left it out of the NA version. The goblin and orc look silly with their long, spindly arms and legs, and what's up with that fimir? It looks like a plucked chicken floating in the air, and where are the skeletons legs?

I think the little green monster is an undersized goblin. I don't think this artist did much research into the typical rendering of these creatures.

Re: Snotling not included

PostPosted: December 19th, 2012, 11:20 am
by Nephew of Mentor
I like to act like it is a snotling, though it could certainly be a runt as blackthorn says. I'm a semi purist, so this depiction gives me justification for including them in any expansion I might make. How many of you guys have noticed that before?

Re: Snotling not included

PostPosted: December 19th, 2012, 11:43 am
by knightkrawler
Blackthorn wrote:I don't this artist did much research into the typical rendering of these creatures.


...although the Fimir, when compared to art and miniatures of the mid-80s, looks accurate enough...
The little guy has to be something different from a goblin. Why two goblins when every monster type is there only once? Why confuse the beholder about how a goblin should look typically?
But why the fraggle include another type of monster that's not included as a miniature?

Oh well, the answer must be:
We all know HQ artwork in general leaves something to be desired context-wise...

Re: Snotling not included

PostPosted: December 19th, 2012, 12:40 pm
by Sjeng
maybe it's a gnoblar that got seperated from it's ogre :P

Re: Snotling not included

PostPosted: December 19th, 2012, 1:24 pm
by Goblin-King
Or maybe the artist DID know about the races of warhammer and knew that orc, goblins and snotlings goes together.