Page 1 of 1

How do you find/recruit HQ players?

PostPosted: December 4th, 2012, 3:51 pm
by Blackthorn
As I've mentioned on a few other posts, I play HQ with my kids these days. I'd like to find other players, but I'm not sure how to go about this.

I've gone to a few gaming stores and all of the players are at least twenty years younger than me and seem to be playing things like Magic, Warhammer and D&D. :ugeek: Some of these places have a boardgame night which might be interesting, but I'm not sure how a middle aged guy with a twenty year old boardgame will be percieved.

I also joined a local boardgame group on meetup.com, but I think they prefer more...um, "traditional" boardgames from what I can see. They only meet once per month at someone's house and I really don't want to play Monopoly or Trivial Pursuit. :p

I've been posting pics from my recent HQ games on Facebook and have discovered that two of my friends (former bandmates, actually) used to play this game and seem to have fond memories of it. Perhaps I can coax them out of retirement?

Maybe someday I can achieve my goal of hosting a five-player game. It would be fun to have each hero controlled by a separate player.

So, how do you find HeroQuest players?

Re: How do you find/recruit HQ players?

PostPosted: December 4th, 2012, 4:53 pm
by drathe
I know a couple people who have tried board game nights at game shops with some success. They went not only to recruit, but to discover other games they might enjoy. They brought their HQ and people asked about it, then some wanted to try and enjoyed it enough to keep playing.

You should definitely ask your bandmates to play a game for nostalgia's sake. People who already have fond memories of it the easiest to rope in.

Re: How do you find/recruit HQ players?

PostPosted: December 5th, 2012, 2:33 pm
by Sinned
Blackthorn wrote:
So, how do you find HeroQuest players?

I introduced some friends of mine to the game (with success) and also some (ex)colleagues (with less success; only one of them still likes the game).

Re: How do you find/recruit HQ players?

PostPosted: December 8th, 2012, 6:50 pm
by Patroclus
Put some stickers on the notice boards of more than one board game stores, even if they are far from you. Write your name, your age and your email. As a tip is good to say that you are interested for only one meeting per month, so if someone can’t play very often, knowing that he won’t hesitate to contact you.