Page 1 of 2

And if Heroes actually receive real gold coins ?

PostPosted: May 28th, 2012, 5:45 pm
by Maike05
The other day, I was searching on amazon when I came across plastic gold coins.
Image
there also are plastic rupees
Image


I would love to give real coins for treasure searching!
I wonder if anyone already used something like that and how you would actually play with it ?

Re: And if Heroes actually receive real gold coins ?

PostPosted: May 28th, 2012, 6:59 pm
by Goblin-King
I've tried once. Used those little glass markers from Magic. It's quite satisfying, just remember to adjust prices/rewards so you carry very few coins. Equipment should be like 1-5 coins.

Re: And if Heroes actually receive real gold coins ?

PostPosted: May 28th, 2012, 7:16 pm
by cynthialee
I like the idea. Never tried it but it has crossed my mind a few times.

Re: And if Heroes actually receive real gold coins ?

PostPosted: May 29th, 2012, 1:13 am
by Maike05
I was wondering what exchang rate should i use ? There is a possibility to buy silver coins as well.

Re: And if Heroes actually receive real gold coins ?

PostPosted: May 29th, 2012, 2:55 am
by Goblin-King
I'm not a fan of two different coins. This works great in computer games where you collect vast amounts of wealth and the computer calculates everything.
But in a board game you have to keep exchanging and stuff... It could work tho... idunno XD

I suggest you keep it simple. But it also depends on what you intend to do with buying stuff.
If you want to keep the cards and quest notes etc. you are kinda forced to make 1 coin = 25 gold in order to keep the prices and being able to pay properly.

However, if you intend to make new cards or an "Armory" table with prices in coins you have a little more freedom.
My primary intention is to reduce the amount of coins the players have as much as possible. Like 1 coin = 50 gold
Sooner or later someone will be very rich and have a truckload of coins. And while having a pile of coins is very rewarding for the player, it is a bit unpractical.

*Edit*

Now that I put it on words and thought a little more about it...

Keep HQ prices.
Gold coin = 100 gold
Silver = 25 gold (quarters)

That way you would only really ever need 3 silver coins per player while keeping the gold coins at a high value.

Re: And if Heroes actually receive real gold coins ?

PostPosted: May 29th, 2012, 6:42 am
by Sjeng
I can see it now: a dwarf miniature lying on his back in a pile of copper coins... *alll miiiine!!!! moneymoneymoneymoney!!*

Re: And if Heroes actually receive real gold coins ?

PostPosted: May 29th, 2012, 7:27 am
by Maike05
First thing, these plastic coins costs nothing : $3-4 for 144 coins, so I could maybe set the exchange rate a a lower level. The main idea is to actually give SEVERAL coins to players rather than only one coin which is frustrating to me.

The other solution would also be give a handfull amount of coins to the players, regardless of any real meaning!

Dunno what's best! :)

Re: And if Heroes actually receive real gold coins ?

PostPosted: May 29th, 2012, 10:12 am
by cynthialee
Poker chips would work.
Red are gold. 1 gold each
Blue are Platinum. 10 gold each
White are Mythril. 100 gold each

Re: And if Heroes actually receive real gold coins ?

PostPosted: May 29th, 2012, 11:38 am
by torilen
oh - you stole my idea - I was going to suggest poker chips.
I was going a different route, to make it easier to keep with
the HQ economy, make white 1 gold coin, blue 5 gold coins,
and red 10 gold coins...or 5, 10, 20 respectively.
This would allow for the awarding of actual coins and allow
the players to have a small pile in front of them to brag
about - but would keep down the need for a HUGE pile of
coins.

granted - poker chips don't look much like gold coins, unless
you put some time and effort into them - I don't think I've ever
seen any that resemble actual coins. It could be done, though.

Re: And if Heroes actually receive real gold coins ?

PostPosted: May 24th, 2015, 2:39 pm
by sajungzak
Image
These are the coins I chose for my HeroQuest games. They are made out of real metal, anodized nickel alloy I believe, with some lacquer for an aged look.
Image
I picked out 7 different 10 packs.
http://fantasycoinhq.3dcartstores.com/
website seems to be closed for the memorial weekend, so here are some other links
https://www.facebook.com/Fantasy.Coin.LLC
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fantasycoinhq/fantasy-coins-for-board-games-rpgs-larp-or-any-occ

Excellent quality gaming coins. Very fine detail. Fair price for what you get, in my opinion. Lots and lots of different designs to choose from.

I plan to use the following denominations:
copper, 5gp
silver, 25gp
gold, 100gp
dwarven platinum/mithril, 500gp

or;
copper, 5gp
silver, 25gp
gold, 100gp (I'd need more gold coins for this, probably the fire elementals)
dwarven gold, 500gp
and the coveted dwarven platinum/mithril, 1000gp