Page 1 of 2

Basing

PostPosted: January 22nd, 2012, 8:42 am
by Von Necron
I need some ideas for basing. Aside from the different colored baseing flock. What does anyone here use for planks or wooden looking basses, dungeon, snow or anything else.

Re: Basing

PostPosted: January 22nd, 2012, 9:15 am
by Goblin-King
Well, greenstuff is great for everything. Wooden planks could be made by shaping it into flat rectangular shapes. Then cut it with a hobby knife to make the ores. Maybe stab it slightly in the ends to make where it has been cut/sawed/whatever...

Dungeon floor/coppelstone can also be made with greenstuff. Make small balls and squeeze them to the base to flatten them. Shape them into rectangles with your tool of choice.

For demons i like to shape an evil, twisted, spiky floor. ALSO in greenstuff!

Re: Basing

PostPosted: January 22nd, 2012, 6:34 pm
by ndsandman
Green Stuff incase some did not know what it is:

http://www.thewarstore.com/product18832.html

Not sure if this is the cheapest site online for the product, but atleast you get an idea of what it is.

NDSandman

Re: Basing

PostPosted: January 23rd, 2012, 8:00 am
by Sjeng
I love this idea: viewtopic.php?f=56&t=719

And I just paint stones on my bases. Need more practice though :P

Re: Basing

PostPosted: January 23rd, 2012, 8:35 am
by Von Necron
Very nice tutorial! I've never used green stuff or miliput what's the difference between the two? I will order both.

Re: Basing

PostPosted: January 23rd, 2012, 11:46 am
by Goblin-King
Maike05's tutorial can easily be done with greenstuff instead.
Also if you decide to make bases for non-Hero Quest miniatures (especially plastic kits like most Warhammer) I would recommend making the base first without the figure, and just superglue it on afterwards.

Re: Basing

PostPosted: January 23rd, 2012, 1:53 pm
by Von Necron
So green stuff also hardens just being exposed to air? I just bought some oven baked modeling clay. A has any one attempted to make molds of monsters then make there own. I was thinking of making molds for legs and bodies. Then I could just attach all my extra arm and head bits. Has anyone tried this?

Re: Basing

PostPosted: January 24th, 2012, 11:36 am
by Big Bene
Nope, both Milliput and green Stuff are two-component materials, they harden after the two components are kneaded together (exposed to the air or not). Green Stuff is more expensive, but allows for finer details. It doesn't make a real difference, however, if you are doing bases (and not, for example, a heroe's nose).

As for wood - I've never tried, but I often thought about using the wooden thingies you get at Mc Donald's for stirring coffee. They have just the right thicknes for a timber-floor board in HeroQuest size (of course you would have to cut - or, even better, break - them to the right lenght). And they are free :mrgreen:

This said, there are lot's of ideas, pictures, and even a few tutorials about basing at both officialand fan sites of the big miniature (games), expacially Warhammer and Reaper miniatures.
For "natural ground" you could also google around for model railway stuff. These nerds have come a great way since when I played with this kind of thing as a child. You can buy absolute realistic flowers and leaves, laser-cut in miniature size. And they also have great tutrials about do it yourself tricks and effects.

(sorry, some links are in German, but you will get a general idea. Surely you'll find similar sites in English)

Re: Basing

PostPosted: January 24th, 2012, 12:22 pm
by Goblin-King
If you don't care if it's homemade or not there is of course this homepage:

http://www.shop.microartstudio.com/battle-bases-c-3.html

Re: Basing

PostPosted: January 24th, 2012, 9:18 pm
by Von Necron
Awesome site for ideas thanks.