• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Need some help

Discuss general topics relating to HeroQuest that don't fit well in the categories below.

Re: Need some help

Postby Kurgan » February 27th, 2020, 10:55 pm

wallydubbs wrote:
Kurgan wrote:Maybe I missed this, but what happened to "The Trial"?

He addresses it in the Forward, explaining why he went with The Maze instead of the Trial.


He really doesn't explain why...

I have chosen to take ̳The Maze‘ as the first quest. The pro and cons of The Maze versus The Trial have been covered elsewhere, so I will not rehash them here.


It's one thing to say it doesn't belong as the first quest, and obviously, you do what you want with your project, but why include all the other official stuff, then leave this out completely? It's a lot less broken than say, the last two US quest packs. :2cents:
Last edited by Kurgan on February 29th, 2020, 2:04 pm, edited 4 times in total.


Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Destroyed a Zombie!
User avatar
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord
 
Posts: 7114
Images: 85
Joined: February 23rd, 2019, 7:08 pm
Location: https://discord.gg/2R9pEP4cty
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Need some help

Postby wallydubbs » February 27th, 2020, 11:35 pm

Yeah, I would've opted for it to be the "Champion" quest.


Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Hosted a Play-by-Post game.
Arena Master
wallydubbs

Swordsman
Swordsman
 
Posts: 1864
Joined: October 18th, 2018, 7:15 am
Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberChampion Group Member

Re: Need some help

Postby Pancho » February 28th, 2020, 3:14 am

The Trial needs to be in there somewhere.
Maybe include it with the other official single quests that Hendar compiled.


Rewards:
Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges.
User avatar
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Halberdier
Halberdier
 
Posts: 1277
Joined: April 12th, 2017, 10:43 am
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Re: Need some help

Postby Kurgan » February 29th, 2020, 2:09 pm

Yeah I hope my comment above didn't come across as too harsh (I softened it a bit with some explanation). I never want to come across as bashing on anyone's free project here even while offering criticism.

There are a lot of official quests that have been judged to be "broken" or "too hard" by members of our forums, but I see all of those included. To really be considered some kind of ultimate or final compendium of official quests, it would seem quite an omission to leave this one out! As one who grew up with the NA version, The Trial IS essential, but even if you were a young HQ player in the UK, you knew about "the Trial" unless you only ever had the premiere release. Add a few traps and make it for veteran players (like I did), and you're golden! And you don't even have to use my champion edition of the quest, but feel free to if you wish!


Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Destroyed a Zombie!
User avatar
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord
 
Posts: 7114
Images: 85
Joined: February 23rd, 2019, 7:08 pm
Location: https://discord.gg/2R9pEP4cty
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Re: Need some help

Postby Hendar23 » March 3rd, 2020, 3:30 pm

Kurgan wrote:Yeah I hope my comment above didn't come across as too harsh (I softened it a bit with some explanation). I never want to come across as bashing on anyone's free project here even while offering criticism.

There are a lot of official quests that have been judged to be "broken" or "too hard" by members of our forums, but I see all of those included. To really be considered some kind of ultimate or final compendium of official quests, it would seem quite an omission to leave this one out! As one who grew up with the NA version, The Trial IS essential, but even if you were a young HQ player in the UK, you knew about "the Trial" unless you only ever had the premiere release. Add a few traps and make it for veteran players (like I did), and you're golden! And you don't even have to use my champion edition of the quest, but feel free to if you wish!


I suppose at this point, what is one more quest lol? I'll stick it in as a stand alone. I just thought it makes a crap first quest as it throws every component in the box on the board right from the start. New players don't get that ooooh moment when something they haven't played with yet comes out. I was going to leave it as people can make thier own version once I'm done and the docx version is ready, but what the hey, lets stick it in! Oh and don't worry, you were not too harsh :)

This project is like the definition of mission creep, but it is nearly done. Here is the latest version.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5jtlowfwnvjs8 ... 9.pdf?dl=0

I've started adding the translated quests. Just a few of those and the Trial, then I just need to tidy up the layout and add the page numbers and it is done. I've started thinking about the hardback cover. I know an artist who does some amazing stuff I might inquire about a comission.....
Hendar23

Fimir
Fimir
 
Posts: 68
Images: 29
Joined: August 22nd, 2018, 4:29 am
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Need some help

Postby Kurgan » March 4th, 2020, 8:01 am

Thanks for your consideration. ;)

Interesting stuff, I see you've made various modifications implementing your own house rules: sometimes going with the EU version of a rule, other times with the NA, or some combination thereof... keeping the higher body points of the NA monsters, softening the Stalactite traps of BQP into Spear Traps, when before they were unblockable hits; keeping the less forgiving NA falling block traps; the Barbarian can't escape from the Yeti Hug, but he can defend to stay alive while in it. I notice both yours and Phoenix's extended rulebook don't differentiate between the Swinging Axe traps (BQP) and the Swinging Blade traps (AtOH) in the rule explanations. Despite the similar icon, they function very differently in their respective packs.

You're letting the Heroes search rooms and corridors an unlimited number of times, ah... that's how we played it as kids. ;) As far as depleting the Treasure card pile (forcing a reshuffle), that's an interesting mechanic, but doesn't that mean you're going to give them effectively unlimited gold? Then again, normally it will never be depleted completely, because the "bad" cards get automatically put at the bottom of the deck (to be discovered again). Might want to clarify that rule. At some point will Morcar tell the Heroes to stop searching? Or are you thinking the Evil Wizard cards will offset this potential imbalance? Or maybe you want to re-introduce the Japanese "gambling for Body Points" rule? Up to you...

It's surely a lot of work to try to unify everything like you're doing!

Also there's a small typo in Appendix B - Traps (under Spear Traps, "Searching for Falling Blocks"). Also when you say "I find that bag of blanks tokens is handy" (under "Components") may want to fix that agreement.


Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Destroyed a Zombie!
User avatar
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord
 
Posts: 7114
Images: 85
Joined: February 23rd, 2019, 7:08 pm
Location: https://discord.gg/2R9pEP4cty
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Re: Need some help

Postby wallydubbs » March 4th, 2020, 10:43 am

Kurgan wrote:Thanks for your consideration. ;)

Interesting stuff, I see you've made various modifications implementing your own house rules: sometimes going with the EU version of a rule, other times with the NA, or some combination thereof... keeping the higher body points of the NA monsters, softening the Stalactite traps of BQP into Spear Traps, when before they were unblockable hits; keeping the less forgiving NA falling block traps; the Barbarian can't escape from the Yeti Hug, but he can defend to stay alive while in it. I notice both yours and Phoenix's extended rulebook don't differentiate between the Swinging Axe traps (BQP) and the Swinging Blade traps (AtOH) in the rule explanations. Despite the similar icon, they function very differently in their respective packs.

You're letting the Heroes search rooms and corridors an unlimited number of times, ah... that's how we played it as kids. ;) As far as depleting the Treasure card pile (forcing a reshuffle), that's an interesting mechanic, but doesn't that mean you're going to give them effectively unlimited gold? Then again, normally it will never be depleted completely, because the "bad" cards get automatically put at the bottom of the deck (to be discovered again). Might want to clarify that rule. At some point will Morcar tell the Heroes to stop searching? Or are you thinking the Evil Wizard cards will offset this potential imbalance? Or maybe you want to re-introduce the Japanese "gambling for Body Points" rule? Up to you...


Well that's the great thing about HeroQuest, Zargon/Morcar is allowed to modify the rules to a certain degree without changing the overall concept. As we all have certain house rules that differ from person to person, but we keep it consistent within our own playgroups.

If things don't entirely match up between the NA and EU rules we're allowed to pick and choose which will suit our group best.

Although it's in the official rulebook that each hero can search a room once, I think a lot of up prefer the 1 card per room rule (some go for 1 card per piece of furniture). But that's up to Zargon/Morcar. This doesn't break the game; it actually balances it out, the heroes won't get flooded with gold or potions and hazards and Wandering monsters won't be as common, but they'll prevent the heroes from getting any good from that room.


Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Hosted a Play-by-Post game.
Arena Master
wallydubbs

Swordsman
Swordsman
 
Posts: 1864
Joined: October 18th, 2018, 7:15 am
Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberChampion Group Member

Re: Need some help

Postby Spookyhappyfun » March 4th, 2020, 5:57 pm

I'm late, but there's some good conversation in here and good ideas. Saving to come back to later.


Rewards:
Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Spookyhappyfun

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior
 
Posts: 643
Images: 13
Joined: July 26th, 2017, 7:12 am
Location: North Carolina, US
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Need some help

Postby Kurgan » March 4th, 2020, 7:40 pm

Yeah, house rules you can make it your own. In the Japanese game system you could use the "First Aid" to heal yourself infinitely, but it was a power given on the "beginner" quests (and presumably went away later). Playing the entire game with unlimited searching and an eternally replenishing Treasure deck I don't know about... as a player I would certainly love it at first glance, but it may break the game, that's all I'm saying. Somebody else can work out the probability that you die from the Hazards after enough unlucky rolls with the Healing Potions or against the Wandering Monsters using the standard size deck (NA deck is more dangerous than the EU one, isn't it?).


Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Destroyed a Zombie!
User avatar
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord
 
Posts: 7114
Images: 85
Joined: February 23rd, 2019, 7:08 pm
Location: https://discord.gg/2R9pEP4cty
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Re: Need some help

Postby Hendar23 » March 5th, 2020, 1:38 pm

Kurgan wrote:Thanks for your consideration. ;)

Interesting stuff, I see you've made various modifications implementing your own house rules: sometimes going with the EU version of a rule, other times with the NA, or some combination thereof... keeping the higher body points of the NA monsters, softening the Stalactite traps of BQP into Spear Traps, when before they were unblockable hits; keeping the less forgiving NA falling block traps; the Barbarian can't escape from the Yeti Hug, but he can defend to stay alive while in it. I notice both yours and Phoenix's extended rulebook don't differentiate between the Swinging Axe traps (BQP) and the Swinging Blade traps (AtOH) in the rule explanations. Despite the similar icon, they function very differently in their respective packs.

You're letting the Heroes search rooms and corridors an unlimited number of times, ah... that's how we played it as kids. ;) As far as depleting the Treasure card pile (forcing a reshuffle), that's an interesting mechanic, but doesn't that mean you're going to give them effectively unlimited gold? Then again, normally it will never be depleted completely, because the "bad" cards get automatically put at the bottom of the deck (to be discovered again). Might want to clarify that rule. At some point will Morcar tell the Heroes to stop searching? Or are you thinking the Evil Wizard cards will offset this potential imbalance? Or maybe you want to re-introduce the Japanese "gambling for Body Points" rule? Up to you...

It's surely a lot of work to try to unify everything like you're doing!

Also there's a small typo in Appendix B - Traps (under Spear Traps, "Searching for Falling Blocks"). Also when you say "I find that bag of blanks tokens is handy" (under "Components") may want to fix that agreement.


We have found that if the heros just sit and search over and over they VERY quickly get their Body Points eaten away by traps and wandering monsters. It's very hit and miss if they make much gold. We used to use tokens to track which rooms had been searched and it's just more work and makes the board look ugly. When we said screw it just search as much as you want we were suprised to find it's just as dangerous.

(The first time I played with my girlfriend everyone literally pulled out nothing but traps. I was like 'I swear there is treasure in this Treasure Deck!')

Thanks for spotting those typos! That is priceless thanks.
Hendar23

Fimir
Fimir
 
Posts: 68
Images: 29
Joined: August 22nd, 2018, 4:29 am
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to General HeroQuest Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 32 guests