• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Crafting a new HeroQuest board

Discuss general topics relating to HeroQuest that don't fit well in the categories below.

Re: Crafting a new HeroQuest board

Postby WarriorPrincess » June 12th, 2020, 9:12 pm

wow dude, your dedication to this game is unreal, unparalleled! I'm just drooling all over your handmade version as I type this. This is why I still love board games. You cant do this with video games.
W@rrior Prince$$
User avatar
WarriorPrincess

Skeleton
Skeleton
 
Posts: 20
Images: 13
Joined: June 1st, 2020, 7:24 pm
Location: Colorado
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Crafting a new HeroQuest board

Postby lestodante » June 13th, 2020, 3:57 pm

The finished work is very good!


Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Wrote an article for the Blog. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti
 
Posts: 2840
Images: 5
Joined: January 7th, 2017, 9:40 am
Location: Italy
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Re: Crafting a new HeroQuest board

Postby Maldeev1911 » July 10th, 2020, 6:44 pm

Absolutely amazing work! Obviously a labor of love.
Maldeev1911

Goblin
Goblin
 
Posts: 14
Joined: June 28th, 2020, 5:11 pm
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Crafting a new HeroQuest board

Postby elvyler » July 25th, 2020, 11:24 pm

Thanks for all the feedback.

It's been a while since I updated, unfortunately I have experienced a bit of burnout on the project and just couldn't get much done. That paired with getting really busy at work has caused a slow down.

I think I'm going to work a little slower on this now so that I don't get burnt out again.

Here's some of the most recent work, started working on the rack:

Image

More to follow.
User avatar
elvyler

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion
 
Posts: 191
Joined: May 5th, 2020, 9:05 pm
Location: Ontario Canada
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Crafting a new HeroQuest board

Postby elvyler » September 15th, 2020, 4:43 pm

Added a paint job to the rack, not much more to add.

I did find a nice matte clear coat to put over all of the furniture pieces as well, I think it looks alright. You can see the clear coat applied to the rack here:

Image
User avatar
elvyler

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion
 
Posts: 191
Joined: May 5th, 2020, 9:05 pm
Location: Ontario Canada
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Crafting a new HeroQuest board

Postby Tott » September 16th, 2020, 5:20 am

My Jaw is literally on the floor! this is outstanding work! so jealous right now.
The Board tiles look amazing, but the furniture in particular is just Phenomenal!
it looks like the tiles can just be popped out so are you going to make any of the extra rooms like the revolving room or the court room from the expansion packs?
User avatar
Tott

Necromancer
Necromancer
 
Posts: 341
Joined: June 24th, 2010, 7:01 am
Location: Arklow, Ireland
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Crafting a new HeroQuest board

Postby elvyler » September 16th, 2020, 11:33 am

Thanks Tott, a lot of work has gone into it.

It's totally modular, so you only need to take out the pieces that you need for a specific quest. The plan for now is to focus on base game, eventually I hope to get around to making custom tiles for the expansions as well.
User avatar
elvyler

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion
 
Posts: 191
Joined: May 5th, 2020, 9:05 pm
Location: Ontario Canada
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Crafting a new HeroQuest board

Postby joec » September 16th, 2020, 12:02 pm

Simply gorgeous. Wow. Amazing detail work!


Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic.
User avatar
joec

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord
 
Posts: 273
Joined: July 6th, 2010, 4:24 pm
Location: Detroit, MI USA
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: Crafting a new HeroQuest board

Postby elvyler » October 3rd, 2020, 4:28 pm

One of my first posts was of an unpainted throne. That one was made out of dollar store foam core. I was never really happy with it, it was flimsy and would fall over from the slightest breeze.

My next attempt was using the pink insulation foam, I reinforced the legs with pieces of paper clip. No amount of reinforcement prepared that chair for it's encounter with my 2 year old son. I didn't even have a chance to take pictures of it before it was in pieces.

Image

To be honest, I wasn't quite satisfied with this one either. So on to attempt number 3. This one is made out of wood, pretty solid and won't break. The cushion is actually upholstered with fabric. I think I'm finally happy with this one.

Image
Image
User avatar
elvyler

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion
 
Posts: 191
Joined: May 5th, 2020, 9:05 pm
Location: Ontario Canada
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Crafting a new HeroQuest board

Postby elvyler » October 6th, 2020, 3:55 pm

I think the fireplace is one of my favourites. I had been putting it off for a while and was reluctant to start it, but I think it was fun to put together once I got into it.

The carving I thought would be pretty difficult to accomplish, so I tried to keep it simple. One thing that I really wanted to keep was the framed painting. For this I cheated a little bit and used a colour printer. Here's the final result:

Image

Here it is with some other furniture for size comparison:

Image

And this shot here is my favourite. This piece looks best in the dark I think:

Image

To achieve this effect, I took apart one of those flickering candles that you get from the dollar store. Here's a GIF of the animation, sorry for the lower quality:

Image
User avatar
elvyler

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion
 
Posts: 191
Joined: May 5th, 2020, 9:05 pm
Location: Ontario Canada
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to General HeroQuest Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests