• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Comparing HeroQuest miniatures to Reaper Bones

Discuss general topics relating to HeroQuest that don't fit well in the categories below.

Re: Comparing HeroQuest miniatures to Reaper Bones

Postby Redav » August 17th, 2014, 4:44 pm

Thanks for that drathe!

Mike boom hahaha...
drathe wrote:Image
Campaign Status
EU Group: Kellar's Keep - The Dwarven Forge
NA Group: The Gathering Storm - Barak Tor - Barrow of the Witch Lord

Project's Status
Rules: House Rules and Clarifications are open for discussion
Campaigns: Thinking
Alternate Mini's: Planning and acquiring
Painting: I've started painting... :o


Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Redav

Storm Master
Storm Master
 
Posts: 486
Joined: June 22nd, 2013, 6:28 pm
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Comparing HeroQuest miniatures to Reaper Bones

Postby Daedalus » August 20th, 2014, 5:59 pm

Thanks for the level size comparisons, drathe. I don't often feel like unpacking my set, and others who don't own the collection now have a great reference--great project! Now members can judge for themselves if the Reaper figs are suitable for an HQ board.

I'm not as critical on Bones as knightkrawler, but after seeing the side-by-sides I gotta agree with his and drathe's observations about their over-tall scale. In most cases, the Hero options don't fit my expectations of what belongs on the board, though some could work okay. I don't want to go into all of the Heroes, but a favorite of mine is the Dwarf in the horned helmet. His chunky head and frame are great. I'm not bothered that he is taller than the HQ Dwarf, who I imagine as a short guy among other Dwarves. Several other shorter Bones figures can then work, as well.
Image ImageImageImageImage Image(non-kickstarter)

The townspeople don't bother me, as they are only in a Quest as a one-off. They also generally aren't much taller (at least the women.)
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

My opinions are more flexible with monster figures, as I'd sometimes be willing to rationalize monsters as larger anyway. How big is a stone golem, anyway? As big as I like! That's what the Frozen Horror base size is for.
Image

The HUGE Bobby Jackson Orcs make me wonder if that sculpter is related to Peter Jackson--they remind me of one of those over-the-top scenes from PJ's films. Still, I can see them as Black Orcs or an Orc-Ogre crossbreed, bigger and meaner than regular Orcs, but smaller than Ogres (just). The main problem is most have legs spread way too wide for a standard base--except for the axe Orc. I wonder if any of the offenders could be repositioned with heat reforming and a diagonal mounting--not likely, or only with overlapping feet. I guess it's best to simply put them on Frozen Horror bases and let 'em take up two squares.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Proxied Bones Ogres should probably have the same FH bases as well, if they could be made to fit and face more-or-less correctly. Some may need the double base of a Giant Wolf, and then still need some reforming of the stance. They were concieved as being hard to pass through anyway, so one Ogre blocking a double corridor works in my book.
ImageImage Image(non-kickstarter)

I see these Pathfinder pyro goblins as either alternate Goblins or perhaps a weak kind of Fire Gremlin. I'd stay away from green for these guys to make them special.
ImageImage Image

My favorite swarm, as it isn't flat on the base.
Image

Glad I have these Kobolds for tiny opponents. Gang up!
Image

Not from the kickstarter, but the original Bones offerings from the store. My favorite Minotaur and a cool Troll. Still need to order several of these brutes.
Image Image
..
UNCLE ZARGON
Image
WANTS.. YOU


Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard
 
Posts: 5332
Images: 14
Joined: May 9th, 2011, 2:31 pm
Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Re: Comparing HeroQuest miniatures to Reaper Bones

Postby Infje » January 5th, 2015, 4:26 pm

Those comparison shots must have been a lot of work. Thank you for putting it up. It will have me think twice about getting mini's there.


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Infje

Gargoyle
Gargoyle
 
Posts: 146
Joined: January 31st, 2012, 4:38 pm
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Comparing HeroQuest miniatures to Reaper Bones

Postby cynthialee » January 5th, 2015, 9:36 pm

I have those pyro goblins and they are cute little monsters. Yet the players are not fond of them.... LOL

I cut one of them off its base and glued it to a large wolf mini to make a wolf rider Gremlin. He is a nasty little thief and mischief maker.
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman
 
Posts: 1848
Images: 4
Joined: September 27th, 2011, 10:56 am
Location: the forests of Washington State
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Previous

Return to General HeroQuest Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests