Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!
Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.


Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!
Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.
Jalapenotrellis wrote:I guess after reading the first post in that thread, I'm not quite sure why one would think the EU rules are better.




j_dean80 wrote:Technically both sides of the pond had the same number of expansions unless you count Dark Company. I like the EU layout but definitely prefer the NA colored maps. They make it a lot easier to see.




Pancho wrote:j_dean80 wrote:Technically both sides of the pond had the same number of expansions unless you count Dark Company. I like the EU layout but definitely prefer the NA colored maps. They make it a lot easier to see.
I’m really talking about stuff that was written for Heroquest. Most of the official expansions, not to mention the game system itself came from the UK.
Not sure about the one off quests. Were some of them written in the US?
Pancho wrote:I would still take UK and adapt it with the NA improvements, rather than the other way round. Why, you ask? Well, UK looked much better. I know it’s superficial but all the cards, character boards, quests, booklets etc just look much, much more stylish than what was produced for NA. So I think it makes sense to use those things and just have the EWP lay down the improved rules on top. Also, the vast majority of expansions were made here, so why not just use the originals and adapt them.

wallydubbs wrote:Search for traps and secret doors are done in the same action. There's more variety in the Treasure deck, and items cannot be sold back to the armory without a Potion of Alchemy.
Also once you buy a mercenary you only need to pay him 10 gold to keep him, unlike Frozen Horror, where you need to pay for him all over again.


Jalapenotrellis wrote:I guess after reading the first post in that thread, I'm not quite sure why one would think the EU rules are better. I do think that it is odd that pass through rock specifies you can land in solid rock but also allows in the NA version that you can backtrack.


Kuromadoshi wrote:I didn't know there were so many differences between NA and EU rules. I think EU rules are actually not bad at all, and I intend to incorporate a few of them in my games as house rules.


wallydubbs wrote:Pancho wrote:I would still take UK and adapt it with the NA improvements, rather than the other way round. Why, you ask? Well, UK looked much better. I know it’s superficial but all the cards, character boards, quests, booklets etc just look much, much more stylish than what was produced for NA. So I think it makes sense to use those things and just have the EWP lay down the improved rules on top. Also, the vast majority of expansions were made here, so why not just use the originals and adapt them.
How would you explain adopting UK to NA improvements as opposed to NA adopted to UK? What would you say is the determining factor that makes the game more UK to US?


Return to General HeroQuest Discussion
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests