• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Know I've seen it in here

Discuss general topics relating to HeroQuest that don't fit well in the categories below.

Re: Know I've seen it in here

Postby Gold Bearer » March 17th, 2016, 7:19 pm

mitchiemasha wrote:
That will never work
I'll have to disagree. When actual games are released that very process happens. Different members working on the project will have different input and the idea will be fine tuned, all contributing to the end product. it's not very 'community' spirit, a closed book if you're not willing to take on board ideas to a few alterations.

Personally I'd be happy if someone took on my ideas and worked them further, making a nice table etc. Projects are no fun on your own.
People can do whatever they want with it, I'm not saying I don't want them to but there will never be a standard for house rules because everyone tweaks stuff to suit their own preferred rules and game style.

They actually do need rewording and at least one needs to actually change. Regen is going to be :whiteshield: heals 1BP, :blackshield: heals 1MP and lasts until the target loses a BP or MP. It was extremely weak, averaging just one healed BP. I'll do the rest tomorrow.
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

Upcast/Overcast/Combined Spells + New Combined Fusion Spells: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=7219

General Rules Including Element Effects & Dynamic Turn Order: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=7089


Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Exiled
Exiled
 
Posts: 1792
Joined: June 4th, 2012, 4:21 pm
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Know I've seen it in here

Postby mitchiemasha » March 17th, 2016, 9:12 pm

I came up with a modified Tornado. How about the Genie attacks a target on the board 5cd and everyone else in the target room misses a turn. As most monsters die off losing 1bp what would be the point of them missing a turn? Another variant could have all attacked at a lower value and survivors miss a turn.

It's good to be talking about an idea again. I was it bit wounded when you said you'd considered it done. There's always room for a few more tweaks, some new ideas.

Another one for the air set, all 3, the typoon Attacks using 5CD on everyone in any 1 room or corridor, opening all doors on the board. The caster misses a turn. As it's so powerful it has effects that could be negative but still intune with the original spells. I like the idea of something opening all doors.

I added to wind storm too. Casts Tempest on everyone in the same room or corridor. All Heroes can attempt to escape the room first with an extra move roll. So it's using swift wind but still has a potential negative as if they don't make it, tempest will affect them too.


Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier
 
Posts: 1474
Joined: August 14th, 2014, 2:05 am
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Know I've seen it in here

Postby Gold Bearer » March 17th, 2016, 9:44 pm

mitchiemasha wrote:I came up with a modified Tornado. How about the Genie attacks a target on the board 5cd and everyone else in the target room misses a turn. As most monsters die off losing 1bp what would be the point of them missing a turn?
Check the BP in my sig. ;) Most people use the US stats so it works anyway, :fimir: + :mummy: + :chaoswarrior: + :gargoyle:

mitchiemasha wrote:It's good to be talking about an idea again. I was it bit wounded when you said you'd considered it done.
Why? It doesn't stop you doing what you want with them. I'm obviously going to do them how I want them to be. Even if everyone interested in using them could agree on the exact effects of every spell, someone else could come along and decide to make their own alterations. It's impossible, even in principle, to make standardised house rules because they're unofficial and open to change by definition.

mitchiemasha wrote:I added to wind storm too. Casts Tempest on everyone in the same room or corridor. All Heroes can attempt to escape the room first with an extra move roll. So it's using swift wind but still has a potential negative as if they don't make it, tempest will affect them too.
I won't be adding secondary effects like that because I want them all to be simple. The exception might be with the three in one spells. Inferno = strong attack, Typhoon = attack + tempest, Monsoon = attack + sleep, Quake = place any amount of pits in a room or corridor.

Ethereal needs improving as well, at the moment it's just an invisibility spell that isn't as good because it doesn't work on magic attacks. I might make it last until the target performs an action.
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

Upcast/Overcast/Combined Spells + New Combined Fusion Spells: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=7219

General Rules Including Element Effects & Dynamic Turn Order: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=7089


Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Exiled
Exiled
 
Posts: 1792
Joined: June 4th, 2012, 4:21 pm
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: Know I've seen it in here

Postby Anderas » March 18th, 2016, 2:59 am

If you don't care too much about backward compatibility then you can make stronger spells of course! I do it in my system. In fact, my four color quest book is there to allow exactly that: if the Hero abilities are too strong, you ramp up a step and it works again.

Nevertheless there are two or three things you should keep in mind.
Range: be careful with "anywhere on the board". It means the wizard can stay in a safe distance without any risk, and that can become boring in worst case. Also, change of perspective: if you give that same spell to Morcar, the heroes have no chance. So be careful with that.

Range: entire room. Same story here. Many quests have THE boss room. If you can knock out the entire room then it might be a moment of deep frustration for Morcar who was preparing the quest. So yes you can do it, but be careful.

Cost: take care that the cost stay high enough. If you can transform veil of mist in a healing spell, for example, it is the same like having an additional healing for free.

Effects:
Don't add uncontrolled healing. Healings are THE balance breaker, so think very carefully before doing something here. Enhancing an existing healing from 4BP to 6BP would already be worth an additional spell as cost.

Don't give anybody the ability to stun a target for more than one round, or give the target a defense possibility against it like in sleep. You can harden any boss Monster against sleep by giving him four or five MP, so that's ok. If you theoretically extend Tempest for more than one round or on more than one target, then make sure the cost is accordingly. Stuns can make boss monsters boring so really take care that they can't last too long or the boss monster has a dispell. That means also that the wizard shouldn't have three or four stun spells.

And her we go back to my not liking of Gold Bearer's combination spells: they do all that. On proposals for calming the one or the other effect he was just reacting agressive.


Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear
 
Posts: 3397
Images: 73
Joined: September 20th, 2014, 7:02 am
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: Know I've seen it in here

Postby MadMickyG » March 18th, 2016, 3:25 am

As was said, it comes down to your own house rules.

You can kill some of the orcs, some of the time but you cant kill all of the orcs all of the time!

I like the spell discussions and peoples differing opinions. Because no matter how brilliant I think I am (and I am brilliant!) I wont always see a flaw in something I've made.
It might not be a major flaw. But enough to break the game if not tweaked.
Check out my dabblings in writing.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Madhouse ... 4179561807
Feel free to let me know what you think. All comments/criticisms welcome.


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
User avatar
MadMickyG

Necromancer
Necromancer
 
Posts: 334
Joined: December 1st, 2014, 7:54 am
Location: Gold Coast QLD Australia
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: Know I've seen it in here

Postby Gold Bearer » March 18th, 2016, 7:41 am

Anderas wrote:If you don't care too much about backward compatibility then you can make stronger spells of course! I do it in my system.
They are compatible without making any changes! To cast a more powerful spell, you have to use more than one spell.

Anderas wrote:Range: be careful with "anywhere on the board". It means the wizard can stay in a safe distance without any risk, and that can become boring in worst case. Also, change of perspective: if you give that same spell to Morcar, the heroes have no chance. So be careful with that.
Anywhere on the board doesn't make it boring. It means the wizard can stay outside the room for a turn and soften up the monsters while the others charge in to finish the job. If a monster has a spell that can used anywhere on the board then it just means the heroes can't stay a safe distance away after a monster is revealed, so it stops something that you just said would be boring.

Anderas wrote:Range: entire room. Same story here. Many quests have THE boss room. If you can knock out the entire room then it might be a moment of deep frustration for Morcar who was preparing the quest. So yes you can do it, but be careful.
I don't have any spells that can knock out an entire room, unless you mean knock them out for one turn. The attacking spells don't automatically kill everything in a room.

Anderas wrote:Cost: take care that the cost stay high enough. If you can transform veil of mist in a healing spell, for example, it is the same like having an additional healing for free.
No it isn't. To transform veil of mist into a healing spell you have to combine it with a healing spell! You can use it to heal more than one target at the same time but if one is badly wounded, they might die if you wait for others to get injured.

Anderas wrote:Don't add uncontrolled healing. Healings are THE balance breaker, so think very carefully before doing something here. Enhancing an existing healing from 4BP to 6BP would already be worth an additional spell as cost.
It does cost an additional spell! :)

Anderas wrote:Don't give anybody the ability to stun a target for more than one round, or give the target a defense possibility against it like in sleep. You can harden any boss Monster against sleep by giving him four or five MP, so that's ok.
I love it when you try to give orders.

Anderas wrote:If you theoretically extend Tempest for more than one round or on more than one target, then make sure the cost is accordingly.
You mean like costing more than one spell to do it?

Anderas wrote:Stuns can make boss monsters boring so really take care that they can't last too long or the boss monster has a dispell. That means also that the wizard shouldn't have three or four stun spells.
How many spells do you think the wizard has? You realise that to cast a combined spell, you have to have both or all three of the spells that make them and you have to discard them right? Thereby greatly limiting the number of improved spells that can be cast and also limiting the effect type, like stun, because combined spells that have a similar effect to each other tend to require the same spell to cast them, like tempest.

Anderas wrote:And her we go back to my not liking of Gold Bearer's combination spells: they do all that. On proposals for calming the one or the other effect he was just reacting agressive.
:) No they don't all do that. The effects are very varied. I only react aggressively to idiots whose only intention is to find fault and who try to invent flaws where none exist. I thought I told you to go away?

Thank you for showing everyone why I have such a big problem with you and proving that I'm not just being a dick. |_P
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

Upcast/Overcast/Combined Spells + New Combined Fusion Spells: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=7219

General Rules Including Element Effects & Dynamic Turn Order: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=7089


Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Exiled
Exiled
 
Posts: 1792
Joined: June 4th, 2012, 4:21 pm
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: Know I've seen it in here

Postby Anderas » March 18th, 2016, 9:05 am

Everybody can do what he wants.

I was investing considerable amount of time last year to balance able and lay my fingers on the weak points to avoid them myself. Don't stone me if I forward what I found out. That's what a forum is there for.

It is not your opinion that makes you a dick but the way you are voicing it.


Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear
 
Posts: 3397
Images: 73
Joined: September 20th, 2014, 7:02 am
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: Know I've seen it in here

Postby Gold Bearer » March 18th, 2016, 9:34 am

Don't call me names over the internet where I can't reach you you freakin' coward!

Your points make no sense what so ever, as I showed in my previous post. They're motivated purely by spite. That's what makes you the biggest dick on this forum.
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

Upcast/Overcast/Combined Spells + New Combined Fusion Spells: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=7219

General Rules Including Element Effects & Dynamic Turn Order: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=7089


Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Exiled
Exiled
 
Posts: 1792
Joined: June 4th, 2012, 4:21 pm
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: Know I've seen it in here

Postby Count Mohawk » March 18th, 2016, 9:51 am

Gold Bearer wrote:Your points make no sense what so ever, as I showed in my previous post.

Somehow I don't think Anderas was directing the contents of the post you responded to exclusively at you. MadMickyG and mitchiemasha are here too, for example. I'll give you the last paragraph though, as that one explicitly uses your name.

Out of curiosity, have you ever managed to play a Quest in which one of the Heroes used your combination spells? I'd be interested to know how much of an impact they had on the Quest's outcome.


Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
User avatar
Marquis of Math
Count Mohawk

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior
 
Posts: 696
Joined: July 11th, 2013, 5:18 pm
Location: New England, USA
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Know I've seen it in here

Postby Gold Bearer » March 18th, 2016, 10:22 am

Count Mohawk wrote:
Gold Bearer wrote:Your points make no sense what so ever, as I showed in my previous post.
Somehow I don't think Anderas was directing the contents of the post you responded to exclusively at you. MadMickyG and mitchiemasha are here too, for example. I'll give you the last paragraph though, as that one explicitly uses your name.
The whole post was designed to invent fault with an idea for petty childish reasons from someone who's petty and childish by nature.

Count Mohawk wrote:Out of curiosity, have you ever managed to play a Quest in which one of the Heroes used your combination spells? I'd be interested to know how much of an impact they had on the Quest's outcome.
I used it in one pbp game. I think I only used one or two combined spells because I didn't want to go through all my spells at once. I can't remember what ones I used or how effective they were. That was with a hero that was designed for these spells. Storm Wizard: All four element spells, 3BP/7MP, moves with the lowest two of three dice. That gives six combined spells or four fully merged spells, or combinations including standard spells of course.
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

Upcast/Overcast/Combined Spells + New Combined Fusion Spells: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=7219

General Rules Including Element Effects & Dynamic Turn Order: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=7089


Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Exiled
Exiled
 
Posts: 1792
Joined: June 4th, 2012, 4:21 pm
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to General HeroQuest Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests