by Patroclus » March 1st, 2014, 3:13 am
Very good image GimmeYerGold, and I’ve found some very good ideas in this thread… The horns or drums, or else the musicians in WH world are giving bonus to win a combat or hold a fleeing unit. And many of us may have some musician figures, so it’s better to considering this to make a generic rule for heroes and monsters alike.
I like the idea of gootchute, for triggering special events to open doors of other rooms. For a monster musician this could be a very good reason to act as the king in a chess game. If in a room were a wizard and a musician who could open other doors to bring reinforcements, as a player I wouldn’t know who to choose for my first target, and this is good. But opening as many doors as he liked in his first round could cause a big mess. I thing a rolling of 6 in a 6-sided dice could work better. So, for every round he could try to open doors, and every turn he could open only one door, so as long as he is staying alive it’s the worst for the players.
This rule can work for Heroes too, so the Heroes must have a good reason to use a musical instrument in a dungeon. I believe the basic ability for the musical instruments is to take effect in a whole room or corridor, but this should not be a rule. Sometimes a bard could play a tune for a specific Hero when he has to do a task, as the barbarian trying to make a critical hit to an Ork boss, or a Hero to jump a pitfall… So, each time a horn is played, the tune generates 1d3 of re-rolls that lasts for a full round, to use it for the attack or keep it for the defense in Zargon’s turn. This could make dialogs like this “I think I could make it! Spend your turn to blow the horn”. Of course, there could be more types of horns, as a horn of group healing, or a horn of war, etc, but this could work better as artifacts and not items you can find in common shops.
Also, it is a good opportunity to add the bard class in HQ. I think a good reason to choose a bard is to remove the effect of letting Zargon to open doors. Because a bard could handle the instrument very well, and can play fine tunes slowly without raising any alarm.
I have to mention, that as in WH, the musicians have also a weapon and can fight normally as all the others. The horn can be hanged from the neck or on the belt, and they hold it only when they want to use it.