An update as things are coming down to the wire!
My heroes and I (except Lady Darwin, of course) did some brainstorming and came up with a few different ideas of how this quest could go down. A lot of the ideas we came up with would have worked great in a full-on RPG, but were just a little outside the scope or HeroQuest.
At a certain point, I decided to go through all the Agin's Inn quests for ideas, and got to the Elixir of Beauty. Gizzard liked the premise for this one (saving Sir Ragner's fiance before thier wedding, gives it kind of a romantic theme) and, since he really didn't give me enough time to write and playtest a completely new quest, I decided to start with Elixir of Beauty and tweak it for our purposes.
First I changed it from "Halveig is trying to create an elixir of beauty" to "there are some magic rings that are good if worn by true lovers, but Zargon and Halveig have a way to make them evil." Here's an excerpt from the quest introduction:
The ancient scrolls tell of a set of magical gold rings, said to bind the wearers together in good fortune if their love is true. However, Zargon has discovered a way to infuse the rings with the powers of Chaos, and he has charged an evil witch, Halveig, with the task. Once the rings are corrupted, Halveig can control whoever wears the other ring as though they were under a powerful Love Spell. We fear Zargon will use this power to control Sir Ragnar, Prince Magnus, or even the Emperor himself!I had to tweak the magic doors that split them up at the beginning as well, since it looks like a fifth hero will be joining on this quest. Added a few more monsters and one more trap to accomodate the extra hero, also. Did a quick playtest by myself over the weekend and I think it turned out pretty good!
One reason the Elixir of Beauty worked so well is the nice, clean treasure chest at the end. Obviously, something like a proposal is a show-stopper and I shouldn't expect to continue the quest afterwards. "Alright, that's great and congratulations, but you've still got to make it back the staircase."

We long ago houseruled that, if the heroes can return to the exit the same way they came, and there aren't any more monsters or anything, then the quest is basically over once the objective has been reached. So, after they defeat Halveig, the first door they open (regardless of which one they choose) will have the wounded and weak Lady Evelayne, and the second door has the treasure chest. The chest is enchanted, only the Wizard can open it. He does, I read the contents, hand him the artifact card. He gets on one knee, proposes, joy, tears, happiness, etc.
Finally, here's the artifact card that we whipped up. Miranda the Elf came through with the Photoshop skills!; I don't think it would look this good if I had done it on my own. I think the image looks great, but I'm not super pleased with the description. I'm not really looking for the rings to have an in-game effect, but I think there is still room for improvement in the writing. Let me know if y'all have any suggestions/edits.
