The fact that you can climb out of a pit trap unaided suggests to me that it isn't a real pit trap so I have two traps;
a) Where the Quest Map indicates a pit trap I interpret this as a Stake Pit trap - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Punji_stake_pit.jpg - hence no searching possible, but does block LOS, attack and defence with one less die.
b) My own quests have proper Pit Fall traps that you fall into (at least 2x2 squares and two squares deep) that you cannot climb out of without assistance or a rope and grapple - and also similar such things as Wolf Holes https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Trou-de-loup.png
Trading
We play that you can pass a card to another player on your turn provided your Hero is adjacent to the Hero you want to pass the card(s) to and neither of you are adjacent to a monster (free action)
Your comment on continual quests - sounds like you are introducing Fate Points - welcome to Advanced HeroQuest
Undead
With regards to challenges around weak Undead (I assume that is why the Doomguard were invented), I did create a Ghoul at one point but haven't used it yet but one of its abilities was to 'ambush'. Ghouls were not placed on the board when the Heroes looked into a room from the doorway, but once they took a few steps into the room they were placed and attacked immediately (which also partially compensated for the lack of missile armed Undead) - I think this ability could be used to liven up (bad pun sorry) Skeletons after all they are animated and could animate on demand if you see what I mean.

= one hit
= one hit & pushback
= cancels one hit





























