• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Minis recast on ebay - copyright infringement

Discuss general topics relating to HeroQuest that don't fit well in the categories below.

Re: Minis recast on ebay - copyright infringement

Postby knightkrawler » March 27th, 2015, 4:21 pm

80 bucks for 9 metal minis is gouging? Are you people serious?
As mentioned before, this is low number production and even for mass production you pay this dollary for a regular metal miniature.
I can't even see quality issues with these.

Again, 9 bucks for a metal 28mm scale miniature is reasonable for the detailedness of these particular sculpts. Get real.
He can't ask for less just because he's an amateur. His production cost is higher than that of Reaper.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.


Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord
 
Posts: 5825
Images: 27
Joined: May 25th, 2012, 2:26 pm
Location: Regensburg, Germany
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Minis recast on ebay - copyright infringement

Postby cynthialee » March 27th, 2015, 8:37 pm

If you are willing to pay over $5.00 for a single 28mm metal mini then I have a couple cases of mini's I'd like to sell you.

No 28mm mini is worth that much. I don't care what people are willing to pay, I am not willing to pay out the nose for mini's.
Wait until the local game shop has a clearance sale. Or go on the bay...
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman
 
Posts: 1848
Images: 4
Joined: September 27th, 2011, 10:56 am
Location: the forests of Washington State
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: Minis recast on ebay - copyright infringement

Postby StratosVX » March 27th, 2015, 8:39 pm

As someone that has tried to recast the minis, I can attest to the high dollar amount. The materials to do them are not cheap, plus it takes quite a bit of time to do. I agree the price is not that high for someone doing recasts. As for the copyright infringement, I would have an issue with it if these were things you could buy anywhere else, in metal or plastic. But you can't get them anywhere, they haven't been sold in years, and nobody is making money off them. There also doesn't seem to be any interest from MB or GW to move back into HeroQuest. If they have abandoned the product line, I'm ok with recasts.


Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
User avatar
Scribe of Heroes
StratosVX
I hate snakes, Jacques...

Scout
Scout
 
Posts: 1145
Joined: November 6th, 2012, 12:44 am
Location: Utah, USA
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: Minis recast on ebay - copyright infringement

Postby clmckay » March 27th, 2015, 8:41 pm

Personally, I don't have a problem with him selling recasts at all or for anyone selling their own creations - so long as it is clearly noted that the materiel is not "genuine". It's a great resource to people who don't have the funds for the pricy originals.

Also, this fellow is a member here. He had a nice discussion sometime back about his minis, quality, pricing, etc. I'm gonna get this wrong:asdxzy something something, is his screenname. Ill see if I can find a link....

viewtopic.php?f=182&t=2434&p=41694#p41694

There's something. I actually think his casts look good. I just prefer to keep with plastic/resin rather than some in metal. I don't paint my minis, only my furniture. :oops:


Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
clmckay

Elven Archer
Elven Archer
 
Posts: 527
Joined: March 16th, 2014, 10:25 am
Location: USA
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: Minis recast on ebay - copyright infringement

Postby cynthialee » March 27th, 2015, 10:57 pm

You should paint your mini's also. They look so much better and you can give them some individuality this way. If you wanted collectables then you should never have taken the shrink wrap off the box, second mistake was to remove the spurs....
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman
 
Posts: 1848
Images: 4
Joined: September 27th, 2011, 10:56 am
Location: the forests of Washington State
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: Minis recast on ebay - copyright infringement

Postby ruiza97 » March 28th, 2015, 12:31 am

I've bought from this fellow and I like the quality of his work. I had no problem paying the prices he was asking. If anything, it was cheaper for me than ordering from bill. Sorry Bill.
ruiza97

Mummy
Mummy
 
Posts: 88
Images: 2
Joined: August 3rd, 2014, 12:26 am
Location: DFW
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Minis recast on ebay - copyright infringement

Postby knightkrawler » March 28th, 2015, 1:52 am

cynthialee wrote:If you are willing to pay over $5.00 for a single 28mm metal mini then I have a couple cases of mini's I'd like to sell you.

No 28mm mini is worth that much. I don't care what people are willing to pay, I am not willing to pay out the nose for mini's.
Wait until the local game shop has a clearance sale. Or go on the bay...


And again. It's not about what any one of us is willing to pay. The price for a well sculpted awesome looking unsexistic Darksword mini is 9.99 €. That's like, what, 13 dollars?
Compared to a cheap plastic-sprue multipart mini's 2 or 3 € that's a perfectly reasonable price. Somewhere in between: Reaper, because they make metal minis in high numbers.
9 bucks a metal mini is just the normal price and rather below than above average even.
If you don't buy them, then don't. Of course I, too, scavenge ebay first before I go out and buy new minis from retailers or the manufacturers themselves.
The prices are what they are because, guess what, collectors and painters are willing to pay these prices for a metal mini.
That said, keeping in mind production cost and the amount of metal needed for an Ice Gremlin: reasonable price there.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.


Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord
 
Posts: 5825
Images: 27
Joined: May 25th, 2012, 2:26 pm
Location: Regensburg, Germany
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: Minis recast on ebay - copyright infringement

Postby FainFlynn » March 28th, 2015, 9:06 am

Any of the amateur sculptors on here care to actually lay out what actual costs are to make one mini? If be interested. Maybe I'll buy this guys minis and start casting them myself and selling at true cost to undercut all of the profiteers out there preying on people's nostalgia.

And yes, I found Bills work to be pretty expensive as well. I just don't agree with it.
FainFlynn

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain
 
Posts: 200
Joined: February 27th, 2015, 5:47 pm
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Minis recast on ebay - copyright infringement

Postby FainFlynn » March 28th, 2015, 9:08 am

The bidding STARTS at $80, but he's looking for $120. That's gouging.

knightkrawler wrote:80 bucks for 9 metal minis is gouging? Are you people serious?
As mentioned before, this is low number production and even for mass production you pay this dollary for a regular metal miniature.
I can't even see quality issues with these.

Again, 9 bucks for a metal 28mm scale miniature is reasonable for the detailedness of these particular sculpts. Get real.
He can't ask for less just because he's an amateur. His production cost is higher than that of Reaper.
FainFlynn

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain
 
Posts: 200
Joined: February 27th, 2015, 5:47 pm
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Minis recast on ebay - copyright infringement

Postby knightkrawler » March 28th, 2015, 9:17 am

If the second highest bidder drives you higher than 80 bucks, then that's that.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.


Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord
 
Posts: 5825
Images: 27
Joined: May 25th, 2012, 2:26 pm
Location: Regensburg, Germany
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to General HeroQuest Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests