• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Oh ye spoilt youth!

Discuss general topics relating to HeroQuest that don't fit well in the categories below.

Re: Oh ye spoilt youth!

Postby cornixt » March 27th, 2015, 9:41 am

I think that was intended as a joke. I'm sure the writer is banging their head against their keyboard every time someone mistakes it for that of a ignorant child.


Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
User avatar
cornixt

Ogre
Ogre
 
Posts: 813
Joined: November 4th, 2014, 12:56 pm
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Oh ye spoilt youth!

Postby Dwnhmcntryboy » March 27th, 2015, 6:56 pm

Yay I am not the only one feeling old!!! I have yet to write my own adventure simply because It has taken me over 15 years to get to this level of being able to complete my set and wanting to play it. I have more and more people, as pointed out, My age, 38, that are really digging on this game. Some have never heard of it but they are intrigued by my sense of nostalgia and are getting excited to play it.

Still the younger crown of friends I have think the game is antiquated. Modern is better because it has learned from the mistakes of the past. A good deal of the time that is true. This instance though I think the modern games are simply trying to capture the magic of its forefather.
Dwnhmcntryboy

Goblin
Goblin
 
Posts: 11
Joined: March 20th, 2015, 8:21 pm
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon

Re: Oh ye spoilt youth!

Postby Anderas » March 28th, 2015, 1:48 am

The magic yes!
But there is nothing wrong capturing the magic while improving the ruleset, i think.

Whereas, having tons of tokens competing with the heroes for the space on the board, is not the right way.

"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."

I am working on my own ruleset for Space Crusade, too. I have the same problem there. The base rule set doesn't really work well, so i want to change it. But again and again i run into the complexity problem.


Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear
 
Posts: 3397
Images: 73
Joined: September 20th, 2014, 7:02 am
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: Oh ye spoilt youth!

Postby Dwnhmcntryboy » March 28th, 2015, 9:22 am

Keeping it simple is not that hard in my opinion. The less options you have the better. Sticking to the core mechanics and not getting lost in all of the "What If" is Key. Alot of the time when I see people wishing a game had such and such it is because they want a mechanic they can exploit. This again goes back to the point of beating a game vs. playing a game. I dont need all these extra things "To make the game better." If I did then I would be looking for a completely different game.

All of that said, I don't mind adding a new Trap but when you have to sit down and write a whole ruleset for your monster or character change to the game I think it is a bit nuts. I like some of the characters done on here. Others, while they are mechanically sound, just don't do it for me. No insult meant to the good folks who put a lot of time and thought into these additions. You put in a lot of time and effort *Nod*.

I just don't get the whole gotta beat em all mentality. If you have to write stuff or create something outside of the game to help you beat the game or make it better, which usually translates into something to help you beat the game, then why play that game? in my opinion if you are changing the game that much you are not supporting the game. You are creating your own game based on someone elses design. You are actually taking away from the game and adding to the stigma of it being "Descent... but stupid"

Just to be clear when I say "You" It is not a personal designation to anyone specific.
Dwnhmcntryboy

Goblin
Goblin
 
Posts: 11
Joined: March 20th, 2015, 8:21 pm
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon

Re: Oh ye spoilt youth!

Postby Sjeng » March 28th, 2015, 4:06 pm

I still ow the prehistoric mario kart on my prehistoric snes. And I have N64 mariokart on my Wii (downloaded from the shop).
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!


Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Wizard
Wizard
 
Posts: 4536
Images: 92
Joined: July 26th, 2011, 9:58 am
Location: The Netherlands
Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Re: Oh ye spoilt youth!

Postby Goblin-King » March 28th, 2015, 4:35 pm

Simplicity has always been one of the main keypoints to HeroQuest.
If we boil any game down to it's core mechanics, what are we left with, and does the content of the game achieve those mechanics in a simple or complex way?
Example: combat. Do I have to measure my strength, add combat modifiers, choose which special ability I want to use and roll on the to hit chart taking fumbles and criticals in regard?
Or do I just roll my combat dice while the monster rolls his defense?
The same thing just happened, but the HQ way made it both fast and simple.
A game being 10 times as complex doesn't necessarily translate into being 10 times as fun.
HeroQuest is as much a game you play to win as it's a game you experience. The story, atmosphere and presentation is half the fun.

Anderas wrote:I am working on my own ruleset for Space Crusade, too. I have the same problem there. The base rule set doesn't really work well, so i want to change it. But again and again i run into the complexity problem.

Why don't you think the SC base rules work well? In what way? Fun? Time? Balance? Any particulars?


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror
 
Posts: 3545
Images: 85
Joined: September 26th, 2011, 2:54 pm
Location: Sønderholm, Denmark
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Previous

Return to General HeroQuest Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests