by QorDaq » May 28th, 2015, 12:47 pm
A couple of ideas you might take from:
I have used tangrams, sudoku, connect four, and similar (but simple), tactile puzzles/ games and such to add another dimension to puzzle solving in gaming. For more complicated things (like the afore mentioned sudoku), what I have done in the past is first replace numbers with runes or other esoteric symbols, then starting from the solution to the sudoku board, work backwards so that the party only has to fill a few spaces in. Print out your nearly complete sudoku board, and make some tokens with the symbols you used on them so that the player(s) can move the tokens around to complete the puzzle
For a five year old (I have one too), ordering colored or numbered objects can be fun too. For example have a series of numbers (Refrigerator magnets or whatever), say from 1 to ten, but out of order. To solve the puzzle put them in correct order, and so on. I can do it with simple words as well. I have done it with dice too, i.e. 6d6 slightly out of order. Simple math with dice can be good too, i.e. "You need to have a total of seven ______. Use two, three, or whatever dice to make the number 7 in order to figure out the combination to the lock".
The point being, practical puzzles are a fun way to break up the action a little, and with kids especially, give them a chance to work on numbering, ordering, reading, and the like in quick but practical snippets. Solving the puzzles could; unlock doors/chests, decipher mystic runes, add bonuses to Mind rolls, or any number of other cool things that can impact the success of an otherwise tedious series of dice rolling without combat.
In your example, I really like that you are drawing ideas from a source that your son can identify with. Good idea.
maj!
Post Script - I almost forgot (did actually), to mention Grimm Tooth's Traps. A series of GM aids (devious ones), printed in the late 80's by Flying Buffalo. Goodman Games did a Kickstarter a while back to reissue the series in a compendium. Not all of the traps are HQ friendly of course, and most are designed with TPKs in mind, however, with a little tweaking there could be some great ideas there for creating non-combat-based logic puzzles.
- Q
maj! = Klingon word for "Good". Used in the context of "I approve".
- vay' DaneHbogh yIchargh!