• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

If you could pick only one...

Discuss general topics relating to HeroQuest that don't fit well in the categories below.

Re: If you could pick only one...

Postby Blackthorn » December 7th, 2014, 2:46 pm

I was fortunate enough to obtain both of these quest packs at a reasonable price and of the two, my favorite is the Barbarian Quest Pack. I really like the mercenaries with the changeable weapons and the unique abilities of the new monsters. The miniatures look fine to me and see nothing wrong with the sculpts, except that the mercenaries are a little out of scale (so were some of the miniatures in the base game). The snow and ice theme is cool (no pun intended) and the new traps and tiles have some clever ideas.
Fear the chinkle!


Rewards:
Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
User avatar
Blackthorn

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman
 
Posts: 372
Images: 2
Joined: September 14th, 2012, 9:48 pm
Location: Florida
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: If you could pick only one...

Postby tasoe » December 7th, 2014, 2:52 pm

knightkrawler wrote:I'd choose The Frozen Horror because it goes for slightly more on ebay and that's what I'd do with it.

This first thing when I read the topic was to write those exact words, but I didn't 'cause it would technically be off-topic (and because it's the mage of the mirror that's more expensive I think).

On a more relevant note, I think the barbarian pack has better figures than the elf pack and thus I would choose that one. I said "better than", not good.
Elf spells are stupid, especially the ones where you replay your move or stop time or something.

Goblin-King wrote:Wolves! I find them to be the best of all the new monsters. Cool and mix well with all other stuff!
I do not agree with that as well. If I ever wanted to buy the elf pack, and I was negotiating a price, and the guy told me at the last minute that the wolves are missing, I'd go "no problem mate" and I'd bid the same amount I would anyway.


Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
tasoe

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior
 
Posts: 697
Joined: September 22nd, 2011, 1:05 pm
Location: Athens, Greece
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: If you could pick only one...

Postby Goblin-King » December 7th, 2014, 4:01 pm

Tasoe... If you ever buy the elf pack, please send me the wolves! :D

I'm actually a little surprised about the dislike for the minis. I don't think there's anything wrong with them (Okay, maybe the yeti...).
But that's individual taste for ya...
What bothers me the most are some of the choices of monsters:
Elf warrior and Elf archer. Couldn't you handle that with quest notes and have more different monsters?
Polar War Bear isn't exactly a stroke of creative genius either.

As for the setting being non-Warhammer; is that really a problem?
I think it's nice they do their own thing instead of being bound by GW.
If it wasn't for the map we wouldn't really have much proof regardless.


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror
 
Posts: 3545
Images: 85
Joined: September 26th, 2011, 2:54 pm
Location: Sønderholm, Denmark
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: If you could pick only one...

Postby Blackthorn » December 7th, 2014, 4:31 pm

Honestly, I had no idea the there was a HeroQuest/Warhammer connection until joining this forum. Personally, I don't really care that much about the Warhammer world or it's background story.
Fear the chinkle!


Rewards:
Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
User avatar
Blackthorn

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman
 
Posts: 372
Images: 2
Joined: September 14th, 2012, 9:48 pm
Location: Florida
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: If you could pick only one...

Postby knightkrawler » December 7th, 2014, 4:41 pm

I don't either. But I do care for storyline cohesion through whatever background, in this case the feeling established by HQ and the first four expansions.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.


Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord
 
Posts: 5825
Images: 27
Joined: May 25th, 2012, 2:26 pm
Location: Regensburg, Germany
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: If you could pick only one...

Postby Blackthorn » December 7th, 2014, 4:51 pm

knightkrawler wrote:I don't either. But I do care for storyline cohesion through whatever background, in this case the feeling established by HQ and the first four expansions.


Being from the US, "Wizards of Morcar" and "Against the Ogre Horde" are not part of the HQ storyline, and neither quest pack will work with the NA rules without major revisions as found in the localized versions you can find here. I don't see the stories behind the Elf and Barbarian packs as lacking cohesion, but then that's a matter of opinion and we all have our own ideas of how the HQ background world should look, sound and feel.
Fear the chinkle!


Rewards:
Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
User avatar
Blackthorn

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman
 
Posts: 372
Images: 2
Joined: September 14th, 2012, 9:48 pm
Location: Florida
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: If you could pick only one...

Postby Sjeng » December 7th, 2014, 4:51 pm

Frozen Horror. Cooler minis. I have plenty of elves, drow, and you can easily buy some dire wolves.
I kinda like the frozen theme and tiles too.
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!


Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Wizard
Wizard
 
Posts: 4536
Images: 92
Joined: July 26th, 2011, 9:58 am
Location: The Netherlands
Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Re: If you could pick only one...

Postby knightkrawler » December 7th, 2014, 5:02 pm

Blackthorn wrote:Being from the US, "Wizards of Morcar" and "Against the Ogre Horde" are not part of the HQ storyline, and neither quest pack will work with the NA rules without major revisions as found in the localized versions you can find here. I don't see the stories behind the Elf and Barbarian packs as lacking cohesion, but then that's a matter of opinion and we all have our own ideas of how the HQ background world should look, sound and feel.


You're right about WoM and AtOH needing localization. For me, that's true, too, cause I play based on NA rules.
In all fairness, being from Europe, I wasn't even aware of MotM and TFH until a few years ago. Nostalgia simply doesn't kick in. I see ludicrously childish minis and quests even farther from being playtested than AtOH and WoM.
By cohesion, I include the art style. That's not to say it's bad, but it's different. The WoM cards lack that, too.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.


Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord
 
Posts: 5825
Images: 27
Joined: May 25th, 2012, 2:26 pm
Location: Regensburg, Germany
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: If you could pick only one...

Postby Goblin-King » December 7th, 2014, 5:04 pm

I get what you are saying KK.
But in all fairness, those expansions didn't really expand the HQ world a whole lot.
Only AotOH brought new monsters to the bunch.

The story in KK and particularly RotWK is pretty exciting. The quests are thought through and very enjoyable.
But neither bring much new to the table. A couple of new tiles and mechanics, and that's that.

WoM expanded the gameplay a whole lot with lots of new spells for both sides. The cards are the bread and butter of this pack in my opinion.
The four wizards are very nice, but sorta unnecessary. They are special characters and could easily have used the Chaos Sorcerer or Notched Sword Orc instead.
The quests seem a little lazy... only one for each wizard and a finale where you battle all four? Couldn't they have made a couple of filler quests?
WoM feels like Game of Death where Bruce Lee must kill a wizard on each floor!

Finally we have AotOH. We had to get to the fourth expansion before getting some actual new monsters!
The ogres are very nice and I like how they simply made an entire pack based around a single monster with various ranks.
This makes it very easy to make an ogre based quest.

I guess the point I'm getting at is that the US expansions just seem to have much more content.
Monsters, cards, tiles...
That the quests themselves seem to be poorly written is less important, because (let's be honest here) the real fun is using the content to make your own quests!


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror
 
Posts: 3545
Images: 85
Joined: September 26th, 2011, 2:54 pm
Location: Sønderholm, Denmark
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: If you could pick only one...

Postby mitchiemasha » December 7th, 2014, 6:00 pm

I'm with knightKrawler. If I acquired either of these sets, i'd sell them both so it would be the 1 currently fetching the highest price.

WOM is still a lil out of my price range but I want it. If Ogre Horde makes a jump in price I'll part with that but I think it's high time has been. Sorry to go a lil off topic but!!!

For those prices i'd rather buy other minis and make/use other Quest. After our generation i don't see them increasing in value so those buying as a collector investment are buying at the wrong time. We'll possibly see another boom as the 90's child hit's his retirement and tries to interest his Grand kids into the game.


Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier
 
Posts: 1474
Joined: August 14th, 2014, 2:05 am
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to General HeroQuest Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests