• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

treasure or secret doors in pits

Discuss general topics relating to HeroQuest that don't fit well in the categories below.

Re: treasure or secret doors in pits

Postby chaoticprime » September 10th, 2013, 11:25 am

The wandering monster for this quest is a goblin...who says, "Dear god, thank you! Oh, thank you! I thought I was going to be trapped down here until I died."

"I attack."


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
User avatar
chaoticprime
Practically Lives Here

Swordsman
Swordsman
 
Posts: 1939
Images: 0
Joined: February 10th, 2013, 3:38 am
Location: Kansas City
Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: treasure or secret doors in pits

Postby Daedalus » September 16th, 2013, 7:12 pm

Goblin-King wrote:Are you sure he isn't just allowed to search WHILE he is in a trap?
Being able to actually search THE trap opens up to all kinds of madness. What if you draw another trap or a wandering monster?

Yes, you may draw a Hazard Treasure Card and suffer an additional BP as you fall into a hole. That hole is not a trap (the wording was changed in the NA version of the card), so no more searching for treasure is possible. A Wandering Monster Card may also be drawn while searching for treasure in a pit. The monster would be placed adjacent to the pit, if possible, allowing for an advantageous attack from above. As sharing a square is permitted in a pit trap (p.13 of NA Instruction Booklet, under Hero Movement), it is even feasible that the Wandering Monster could attack from the pit itself.

Goblin-King wrote:Can anyone confirm this rule actually exists?

(Thanks, IvenBach)

Goblin-King wrote:Anyways if you want to use it in a quest I think you'd have to give the players some kind of hint. I would have been stuck forever if I had to guess the secret door was down a pit trap.

If a pit trap were disarmed, then the secret door would never be found. I agree a hint is needed, at least if a necessary room lies beyond the secret door.
..
UNCLE ZARGON
Image
WANTS.. YOU


Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard
 
Posts: 5328
Images: 14
Joined: May 9th, 2011, 2:31 pm
Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Re: treasure or secret doors in pits

Postby chaoticprime » September 16th, 2013, 8:52 pm

Daedalus wrote:
Goblin-King wrote:Are you sure he isn't just allowed to search WHILE he is in a trap?
Being able to actually search THE trap opens up to all kinds of madness. What if you draw another trap or a wandering monster?

Yes, you may draw a Hazard Treasure Card and suffer an additional BP as you fall into a hole. That hole is not a trap (the wording was changed in the NA version of the card), so no more searching for treasure is possible. A Wandering Monster Card may also be drawn while searching for treasure in a pit. The monster would be placed adjacent to the pit, if possible, allowing for an advantageous attack from above. As sharing a square is permitted in a pit trap (p.13 of NA Instruction Booklet, under Hero Movement), it is even feasible that the Wandering Monster could attack from the pit itself.

Goblin-King wrote:Can anyone confirm this rule actually exists?

(Thanks, IvenBach)

Goblin-King wrote:Anyways if you want to use it in a quest I think you'd have to give the players some kind of hint. I would have been stuck forever if I had to guess the secret door was down a pit trap.

If a pit trap were disarmed, then the secret door would never be found. I agree a hint is needed, at least if a necessary room lies beyond the secret door.


The pit trap is one that you cannot search for or disarm. That, in itself, is basically the clue that its not normal.

I typically play with the Hazard! Pit Trap card actually becoming a new pit (tile on map). I realize that that is not how it is done by the rules. It is zany, however.


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
User avatar
chaoticprime
Practically Lives Here

Swordsman
Swordsman
 
Posts: 1939
Images: 0
Joined: February 10th, 2013, 3:38 am
Location: Kansas City
Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: treasure or secret doors in pits

Postby Count Mohawk » September 17th, 2013, 3:36 pm

chaoticprime wrote:I typically play with the Hazard! Pit Trap card actually becoming a new pit (tile on map). I realize that that is not how it is done by the rules. It is zany, however.

There was at least one Quest from Hero Quest Revised where the wandering monster was a Pit Trap...


Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
User avatar
Marquis of Math
Count Mohawk

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior
 
Posts: 696
Joined: July 11th, 2013, 5:18 pm
Location: New England, USA
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: treasure or secret doors in pits

Postby chaoticprime » September 17th, 2013, 4:23 pm

Count Mohawk wrote:
chaoticprime wrote:I typically play with the Hazard! Pit Trap card actually becoming a new pit (tile on map). I realize that that is not how it is done by the rules. It is zany, however.

There was at least one Quest from Hero Quest Revised where the wandering monster was a Pit Trap...


I support that.


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
User avatar
chaoticprime
Practically Lives Here

Swordsman
Swordsman
 
Posts: 1939
Images: 0
Joined: February 10th, 2013, 3:38 am
Location: Kansas City
Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: treasure or secret doors in pits

Postby torilen » September 17th, 2013, 4:23 pm

actually, a wandering monster pit trap would work really well, especially if the backstory put
you in a place where the floor was known to be dangerous - broken down building or cave with
many, many tunnels overlapping each other.

I like that - never noticed it before.


Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin
 
Posts: 2081
Joined: October 9th, 2009, 4:18 am
Location: Virginia, USA
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Previous

Return to General HeroQuest Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 3 guests