torilen wrote:chaoticprime - I'm not sure if I agree or disagree with most of what you've said...it is a little too
"lofty philosophical" for me. I do agree that evil would, most times, want to stamp out chaos.
Realize in most roleplaying games, Law is the Opposite and Chaos, mainly drawing on the original
rpg D&D, which set down that idea. (actually, the original D&D was only law and chaos...they didn't
introduce good and evil until later, if I remember correctly.)
I think one of the ideas behind using Law vs Chaos is, it is much easier to understand than outright
philosophy, which is the direction you go with, apparently. Nothing wrong with that...it just isn't all
that accessible for all players (myself included...never do well in deep philosophical discussions on chaos
vs law vs good vs evil).
Now, to the point at hand, I personally think a bad-guy game would be neat every so often, especially if it
is possible to keep it in with the story line. Maybe the heroes irritate the bad guys enough that they make
an attack at them, and in comes the bad guy game. The game master runs the actual heroes, and some extra
soldiers, archers, and such, and the players play the bad guy game master characters as their own characters
for a game or two.
I think it would be a great idea to allow the players to run the monsters sometimes...this is a fairly well-known
game titled "reverse dungeon". The game master makes his four characters, and the players together run the
quests for a bit. I honestly think the heroes would have a hard time beating this kind of game, as four players
running all the different monsters would lead to a whole lot tougher monsters to fight.
No, you didn't remember correctly. The original D&D only had Good. You could not play as Evil. Lawful and Chaotic were not introduced until AD&D, and even then you still could not play as Evil. Everyone still did, though.
Also, mine was not my own philosophy, that was the actual mythology of the Warhammer universe that HeroQuest takes place in. Though, still, Chaos and Cosmos are opposites, not Chaos and Law. RPG's do a lot of similar things, like making up words such as chainmail or longsword. They're still wrong, and those things did not, and never will, actually exist.
How hard is it to grasp the idea that a cosmos is an ordered universe, and chaos is a universe without order? That's literally why those two words exist.






































