• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Wizard Quest Pack

Discuss general topics relating to HeroQuest that don't fit well in the categories below.

Re: Wizard Quest Pack

Postby Daedalus » January 27th, 2013, 2:20 pm

Toco met Richard Borg and discovered he penned the unreleased Wizard Quest Pack. Skyknight also knew of this through his sources. Unfortunately, Borg too was under a nondisclosure agreement and couldn't divulge more.

Why wasn't the Giant Spider picture included in this thread?

Here's a link to Old Scratch where Toco started a thread on the unreleased Wizard Pack:
http://oldscratch.smackwell.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1321433207/0
Here's a related link about undisclosed expansions:
http://oldscratch.smackwell.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1254148368/20
..
UNCLE ZARGON
Image
WANTS.. YOU


Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard
 
Posts: 5332
Images: 14
Joined: May 9th, 2011, 2:31 pm
Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Wizard Quest Pack

Postby kingdragun1983 » August 9th, 2014, 3:39 am

If they had released the wizard set it would of been cool to see the hero's take on zargon himself, but since they are never going to, I'm treating wizards of morcar as the wizard expansion, looking into a female wizard and a female dwarf since the dwarf expansion was never released but tthat's pretty much what kellars keep is
kingdragun1983

Goblin
Goblin
 
Posts: 17
Joined: August 9th, 2014, 2:48 am
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Wizard Quest Pack

Postby Decipher » August 11th, 2014, 3:03 pm

Last time I was here at the forums before my long break, I was checking into plastic injection mold machines which to my surprise was not that expensive to purchase outright. The expensive part of making plastic minis is having a 3d sketch artist create a 3d model of the mini. I found a guy in Italy who was willing to create 3d renders for me from other minis with a little input I would give him. But for just one 3d model, he wanted almost $800 per original mini and $500 for an existing mini. Then after I obtain the 3d model file, I had to find someone to make the mold which is also expensive. In the long run this would pay off if I were to sell minis over a long period of time. But Im still checking into it.....


Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Decipher

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf
 
Posts: 733
Images: 13
Joined: June 11th, 2013, 1:23 am
Location: Wytheville, VA
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: Wizard Quest Pack

Postby Daedalus » August 22nd, 2014, 10:34 am

TMU wrote:Image
And last but not least, the Centaur
Taken from "Snotling not included" by Nephew of Mentor
Daedalus wrote:Casts a Genie spell...

Image

A similar, but more classical Centaur was originally included in the unreleased Wizard Expansion Pack, however (later is was rejected).

skyknight wrote:Ok cool....alright, from his pics....never saw a centaur or that standing elf warrior...thinking that may be the same as the kneeler just a secondary sketch.

Just to reiterate that according to skyknight's firsthand knowledge of the 4-ups the Centaur was rejected as a figure for the Wizard Quest Pack.

Daedalus wrote:
skyknight wrote:There are still four more missing by my count.  I have to believe that they belong to the Dwarf Set, I could be wrong there.  As I said above...I need to get back to the box of them as I am in transit.  Once I do I can read the bottoms and make a little more heads and tails.  I am not thinking many were marked though.

I'm gonna offer some speculation here...

I believe your 4 undisclosed four-ups contains 3 from the Dwarf Expansion Set and 1 from the Wizard Expansion Set.  My reasons:
  • Both of the released, Hero-named Elf and Barbarian Quest Packs contained 1 new sprue of 9 figures each.
  • Both of the new sprues contained  5 new sculpts.
  • Don Kueker's art accounts for 4 new sculpts: the Female Wizard, the Minotaur, the Ratman, and the Giant Spider.  One more makes five, a full sprue.
  As to what the four-ups are likely to be, look back to the released, named expansion sets:
  • The sprues from  both of the Elf and Barbarian Quest Packs includes 1 female Hero (Elf and Barbarian), 1 boss (Archmage/ Frozen Horror), 2 groups of tough, heavy-hitters (Ogres and Giant Wolves/ Warbears and Yeti), 1 group of missile troops (Elven Archers/ Crossbowmen), 1 or 2 groups of melee troops (Elven Warriors/ Swordsmen and Halberdiers), and 1 group of hit-and-run troops(Scouts/ Ice Gremlins).
  • A sprue of new sculpts includes 1-3 two-square figures.
  • Several (5-7) monsters of each set are larger than the Heroes.
I think it most likely the last four-up of the Wizard Quest Pack is a spellcaster.  My reasons:
  • A boss is needed.  The known best candidate is the Minotaur, but he works best as a pair of heavy-hitters, like the Warbear.
  • The boss of the Elf Quest Pack was the Archmage- a suitable opponent for the spellcasting Hero the set is named after.  The Wizard, of course, is even more of a spellcasting Hero.

So my guess is the new sprue included a female Wizard, 1 boss spellcaster, 2 Minotaurs, 3 Ratmen, and 3 Giant Spiders.  To satisfy the established formula of 2 groups of heavy-hitters, the Ratmen would have to be larger than Skaven or the Giant Spiders would probably have to be on two-square bases (not too likely).  Hmm.

As with the EQP and BQP, it is likely another, previously-released sprue was included to beef things up for the WQP. I'd go with another Mercenary sprue, as it would bring the total of American-released mercenaries up to the more flexible amount of 12, equal to number of Men-at-arms in the Dark Company edition, found overseas.  

Alternately, the extra sprue could be the gray monsters from the Game System.  The Chaos Warriors could compensate as heavy-hitters, as would an extra Gargoyle.  That would allow for medium-sized Ratmen and one-square Giant Spiders.  Then all the released figures would see increased numbers from all 4 expansion sets....
..
UNCLE ZARGON
Image
WANTS.. YOU


Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard
 
Posts: 5332
Images: 14
Joined: May 9th, 2011, 2:31 pm
Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Re: Wizard Quest Pack

Postby The Admiral » April 19th, 2015, 8:00 am

Daedalus wrote:So my guess is the new sprue included a female Wizard, 1 boss spellcaster, 2 Minotaurs, 3 Ratmen, and 3 Giant Spiders.  To satisfy the established formula of 2 groups of heavy-hitters, the Ratmen would have to be larger than Skaven or the Giant Spiders would probably have to be on two-square bases (not too likely).  Hmm.

As with the EQP and BQP, it is likely another, previously-released sprue was included to beef things up for the WQP. I'd go with another Mercenary sprue, as it would bring the total of American-released mercenaries up to the more flexible amount of 12, equal to number of Men-at-arms in the Dark Company edition, found overseas.  

Alternately, the extra sprue could be the gray monsters from the Game System.  The Chaos Warriors could compensate as heavy-hitters, as would an extra Gargoyle.  That would allow for medium-sized Ratmen and one-square Giant Spiders.  Then all the released figures would see increased numbers from all 4 expansion sets...


I can see the Wizard Quest as being based to some degree on the Wizards of Morcar. As stated by Daedalus, both the Barbarian and Elf packs had a new sprue with 9 figures plus a reprint sprue from the European versions; Ogres in the Elf pack and Henchmen in the Barbarian pack. This leaves us with a reprint of the four wizards for the Wizard pack, which would have been highly appropriate. As for the nine new figures, I see these a being 1 Female Wizard, 2 Minotaurs, 3 Giant Spiders and 3 Skaven. The Spiders or Skaven have gained a figure from the omission of a big boss as this has been replaced by the four 'big boss' wizards.

I think the cards would have included 8 new chaos spells so that each wizard would have had two new spells. Maybe 6 Wizard spells like the Elf spells in the Elf pack. 7 Monster cards for the 4 wizards and 3 new monsters. The remaining 9 cards would have been treasure and artifacts.

I think I am going to do myself a 'Wizard Quest Pack' based on the above. I'll do three solo quests (1-3), two group quests (4-5) and then modify the 'Wizards of Morcar' quests as the last five quests (6-10).


Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters.
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier
 
Posts: 1483
Joined: April 8th, 2015, 7:31 am
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Wizard Quest Pack

Postby knightkrawler » April 19th, 2015, 8:49 am

The Admiral wrote:
Daedalus wrote:So my guess is the new sprue included a female Wizard, 1 boss spellcaster, 2 Minotaurs, 3 Ratmen, and 3 Giant Spiders.  To satisfy the established formula of 2 groups of heavy-hitters, the Ratmen would have to be larger than Skaven or the Giant Spiders would probably have to be on two-square bases (not too likely).  Hmm.

As with the EQP and BQP, it is likely another, previously-released sprue was included to beef things up for the WQP. I'd go with another Mercenary sprue, as it would bring the total of American-released mercenaries up to the more flexible amount of 12, equal to number of Men-at-arms in the Dark Company edition, found overseas.  

Alternately, the extra sprue could be the gray monsters from the Game System.  The Chaos Warriors could compensate as heavy-hitters, as would an extra Gargoyle.  That would allow for medium-sized Ratmen and one-square Giant Spiders.  Then all the released figures would see increased numbers from all 4 expansion sets...


I can see the Wizard Quest as being based to some degree on the Wizards of Morcar. As stated by Daedalus, both the Barbarian and Elf packs had a new sprue with 9 figures plus a reprint sprue from the European versions; Ogres in the Elf pack and Henchmen in the Barbarian pack. This leaves us with a reprint of the four wizards for the Wizard pack, which would have been highly appropriate. As for the nine new figures, I see these a being 1 Female Wizard, 2 Minotaurs, 3 Giant Spiders and 3 Skaven. The Spiders or Skaven have gained a figure from the omission of a big boss as this has been replaced by the four 'big boss' wizards.

I think the cards would have included 8 new chaos spells so that each wizard would have had two new spells. Maybe 6 Wizard spells like the Elf spells in the Elf pack. 7 Monster cards for the 4 wizards and 3 new monsters. The remaining 9 cards would have been treasure and artifacts.

I think I am going to do myself a 'Wizard Quest Pack' based on the above. I'll do three solo quests (1-3), two group quests (4-5) and then modify the 'Wizards of Morcar' quests as the last five quests (6-10).


Sounds like a pretty nifty plan.
I'd like to see you go ahead with this.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.


Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord
 
Posts: 5825
Images: 27
Joined: May 25th, 2012, 2:26 pm
Location: Regensburg, Germany
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: Wizard Quest Pack

Postby The Admiral » April 21st, 2015, 1:17 pm

Well I have been putting some thought into this and I think although I will base it around the four wizards from 'The Wizards of Morcar' and use/adapt some of the ideas and concepts in that expansion, I will write up my own 10 quests.

I have have the following in rough draft:

Introduction from Mentor -
"Wizard, I have grave news. The Fire Mage Balur, who we believed was vanquished, still lives! It seems that the evil embers of chaos that glowed deep inside him could not be extinguished by the weapons of mere mortals. Since his recovery he has been travelling the lands on the fringes of the Empire, raising a huge army and building up his own strength. He has recruited four powerful sorcerers and has learnt some of their ways so that he is now more powerful than ever before. He has even delved deep into the dark caves beneath our lands to bring forth foul creatures that dwell there; Huge powerful Minotaurs, Giant spiders that can ensnare a man in their sticky webs and cunning assassins from the race of Ratmen that we call Skaven. Soon it will be time for him to unleash his revenge on the Empire.
We must find some method by which Balur can be finally destroyed. From the ancient pages of Loretome I have devined that knowledge as to the means to kill him lie in the old Castle Dread far to the south of the Empire. There is no time for your companions to join you. You must travel south fast and obtain wharever information you can.

The first three solo quests are completed.
1) Castle Dread
2) Into the castle depths
3) Lair of the Minotaur

The 30 cards will be as follows:
3 Monster cards - Minotaur, Giant Spider and Skaven Assasin.
4 Chaos spells - Ork Berserkers, Earthquake, Skulls of Doom and Wall of Flame.
9 Wizard spells - Magic Aura, Clairvoyance, Wall of Stone, Dispell, Shield of Protection, Blades of Strength, Magic Arrows, Future Sight and Treasure Without Doom.
7 Artifacts - Stone of Knowledge, Wizards Bracers, Runic Torque, Wizard Slayer (a sword), Protection Scroll, Magic Arrows Scroll and Restoration scroll.
7 Treasure cards - 2 x Magical Trap, 2 x Potion of magical aptitude, 2 x Magic Potion (random effects) and Nothing!

I have realised that I don't need monster cards for the wizards as these will be covered by details in each individual quest as for Sinestra in the Elf quest pack. This has freed up more cards for treasure and artifacts. There will also be a big boss now (Balur) and so the Giant Spiders drop to two figures.


Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters.
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier
 
Posts: 1483
Joined: April 8th, 2015, 7:31 am
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Previous

Return to General HeroQuest Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests