• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

On what kind of board do you most enjoy playing HeroQuest?

Discuss general topics relating to HeroQuest that don't fit well in the categories below.

On what kind of board do you most enjoy playing HeroQuest?

The original board supplied with the Base System Game.
15
52%
An over-sized version of the original board like the 3x3 board posted on hq-cooperation.de
6
21%
A Modular board made from custom tiles, laid out as the heroes explore.
8
28%
A map drawn on Battle Mats, etc.
0
No votes
 
Total votes : 29

On what kind of board do you most enjoy playing HeroQuest?

Postby GimmeYerGold » November 11th, 2014, 5:18 pm

Curious to know your experiences with whatever way you've played on, favorite or otherwise. Pros, Cons, etc.

So far, I've tried all three. I like the convenience of the original board, but it can get crowded with monsters+funiture+extra players.
The big board is great, but it is just that--BIG. Sometimes our table doesn't have enough room for it. Some of the original maps need a bit of modification for this, too.
The modular system is very fun, and surprising for the players, but a little more tedious to literally lay down each room. Also, I can't help but getting nostalgic for the original board layout.
I've never used a battle mat for HQ, but I could see how it has its freedom, and drawbacks as well.

At this point in my Zargon career, (haha) I'm looking for a balance between speed of setup/breakdown, and overall player enjoyment. Anything that creates a distraction and takes away from the enjoyment of the game ought to be reconsidered.


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Ye Olde Treasurer
GimmeYerGold

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf
 
Posts: 749
Images: 1
Joined: September 7th, 2013, 7:26 pm
Location: Houston, TX
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: On what kind of board do you most enjoy playing HeroQues

Postby cynthialee » November 11th, 2014, 5:52 pm

I prefer to go with Dungeon Tiles from D&D and the furniture from HQ. The rooms on the HQ board are just too small.
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman
 
Posts: 1848
Images: 4
Joined: September 27th, 2011, 10:56 am
Location: the forests of Washington State
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: On what kind of board do you most enjoy playing HeroQues

Postby clmckay » November 11th, 2014, 5:55 pm

For simple nostalgia sake, I love the original HQ board the best. As previously stated though, it gets crowded. I picked up a vinyl version of the original layout and it has larger squares. It's perfect. I've also recently picked up some battlemats with different locations and had some Pathfinder Flip-Mats printed on Vinyl. Those are really nice to add spice and variety. But when I'm in the mood to relive childhood I always grab the standard board.


Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
clmckay

Elven Archer
Elven Archer
 
Posts: 527
Joined: March 16th, 2014, 10:25 am
Location: USA
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: On what kind of board do you most enjoy playing HeroQues

Postby Goblin-King » November 11th, 2014, 6:09 pm

Standard board all day every day!

There are many good dungeon crawlers, but HQ is something special.
We play it 100% vanilla. We use original board, minis, cards and rules.
Only a little house ruling to fix unclear rules.


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror
 
Posts: 3545
Images: 85
Joined: September 26th, 2011, 2:54 pm
Location: Sønderholm, Denmark
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: On what kind of board do you most enjoy playing HeroQues

Postby whitebeard » November 11th, 2014, 6:40 pm

I just printed a board at 30mm and it's great. The furniture fits (takes up the right number of squares) and the crowding at the doors is totally eliminated. Basically the short dimension is now the size of the long dimension. It is bigger and the table can get crowded with all of Zargon's stuff, but any large table works just fine.
Has resigned from the forum and would delete his account if he could.


Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
whitebeard

Archmage
Archmage
 
Posts: 988
Images: 0
Joined: September 12th, 2014, 7:15 pm
Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: On what kind of board do you most enjoy playing HeroQues

Postby knightkrawler » November 11th, 2014, 6:44 pm

whitebeard wrote:I just printed a board at 30mm and it's great. The furniture fits (takes up the right number of squares) and the crowding at the doors is totally eliminated. Basically the short dimension is now the size of the long dimension. It is bigger and the table can get crowded with all of Zargon's stuff, but any large table works just fine.


QFT.
Flint's board rocks Slovakian porn actress asses.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.


Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord
 
Posts: 5825
Images: 27
Joined: May 25th, 2012, 2:26 pm
Location: Regensburg, Germany
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: On what kind of board do you most enjoy playing HeroQues

Postby GimmeYerGold » November 11th, 2014, 6:49 pm

Goblin-King wrote:Standard board all day every day!

There are many good dungeon crawlers, but HQ is something special.
We play it 100% vanilla. We use original board, minis, cards and rules.
Only a little house ruling to fix unclear rules.


^ This sounds like bliss. The more I customize, the more I find myself working back to vanilla, or close to vanilla as possible.


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Ye Olde Treasurer
GimmeYerGold

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf
 
Posts: 749
Images: 1
Joined: September 7th, 2013, 7:26 pm
Location: Houston, TX
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: On what kind of board do you most enjoy playing HeroQues

Postby Count Mohawk » November 11th, 2014, 9:52 pm

At my house, we primarily Quest with the normal board. I do have two homemade sets of modular board tiles though - one 40mm from wood and one 30mm from foam board. In retrospect, I wish I had made the wood board 30mm as well, since it fits our dinner table much better that size.
If I ever feel the need to do more crafting, I wouldn't mind learning how to mold some plaster tiles though.


Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
User avatar
Marquis of Math
Count Mohawk

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior
 
Posts: 696
Joined: July 11th, 2013, 5:18 pm
Location: New England, USA
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: On what kind of board do you most enjoy playing HeroQues

Postby artisturn » November 12th, 2014, 12:55 am

Standard board is all that I played on so far.

But I did cut up a board,removed all the hallways and center room and had the four quarters left over which I stacked using the pillars for wedding cakes.

That way I was able to play multi leveled maps.

I have also been on the Hirst Arts web page quite a bit recently, I have my eye on some molds and love to make the standard board in 3D.
User avatar
artisturn

Mummy
Mummy
 
Posts: 81
Joined: October 3rd, 2014, 6:04 pm
Location: Santa Fe,New Mexico,USA.
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: On what kind of board do you most enjoy playing HeroQues

Postby Redav » November 17th, 2014, 12:20 am

I voted the original but only by default as that's what we've played. I intend on trying a larger board at some point though. I work for an engineering firm so there's an A0 plotter sitting metres from where I sit and we have photo paper for presentation prints. I might 'borrow' some of that at some point 8-)

How does a 30 mm board go? We play on a 900 x 1800 table and I sit at the end and it's a little cosy. When we move into a real house I'll come up with something larger because the door / mini issue gets annoying.
Campaign Status
EU Group: Kellar's Keep - The Dwarven Forge
NA Group: The Gathering Storm - Barak Tor - Barrow of the Witch Lord

Project's Status
Rules: House Rules and Clarifications are open for discussion
Campaigns: Thinking
Alternate Mini's: Planning and acquiring
Painting: I've started painting... :o


Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Redav

Storm Master
Storm Master
 
Posts: 486
Joined: June 22nd, 2013, 6:28 pm
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Next

Return to General HeroQuest Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests