• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Mage of the Mirror (Elf Quest Pack) Errata & Fixes if Remake

Discuss Quests, Cards, Monsters etc, from the Elf Quest Pack: The Mage of the Mirror.

Re: Mage of the Mirror (Elf Quest Pack) Errata & Fixes if Re

Postby wallydubbs » December 21st, 2022, 10:52 am

Kurgan wrote:I don't see it as a mix up (giving Elven Bracers), that was simply an editorial change by Phoenix. Not everything has an official card, but is nevertheless "real" in the pack.

Lots of things are given to the Heroes in the quest notes that don't have a physical card. Having read the design notes we see that each pack had a limited resource budget and so they had to pick and choose which things to exclude from the cards deck (just as they had to decide which miniature designs to use since they had limited space on the plastic sprues or runners).

I'd love it if they made an official card for the Elven Chainmail and one for Sinestra, but if we did get those I would expect them to be digital only. Until we see the contents of the box of course we don't know what OTHER changes might be in there. The game worked fine without them, the only trouble was the Elven Bracers were never given, it was up to you to include them in the game yourself or your custom quests. Since the quests are so danged HARD you really NEED it, I agree.

Would you care to give other examples of quest items that don't have assigned cards?
You can't count an Ogre Crown or bag of diamonds that are meant to be exchanged for currency (gold). Regular armor has an understanding description on the cardboard armory layout, no card required.
There's Holy Water in Quest 2 of Return of the Witch Lord, and that Mysterious Potion that causes heroes to turn to stone for 5 turns is The Lost Wizard quest. These can be relied on as 1-time use potions, although so can an Elixir of Life.

However, I can think of no other instance when a reoccurringly used special item or artifact does NOT have a card. That's why the Spirit Blade and Wizard's Cloak have a card, so nobody forgets the power and doesn't have to go looking back in the manual for usage.
Every other artifact in Mage of the Mirror is accounted for. There just happens to be one extra and one unassigned. So mix up in the editorial process or not, it's apparent how Phoenix came to the conclusion he did, and I for one agree with him.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Mage of the Mirror (Elf Quest Pack) Errata & Fixes if Re

Postby Kurgan » December 21st, 2022, 8:11 pm

There are probably too many to mention. All +2 and +4 Healing Potions have no card in the NA editions for instance. I'm less concerned about items like this that have no card, vs. cards that are never used in the questbook (Elven Bracers). (which, spoilers, has been re-introduced in the new questbook!)

New small changes are being found inside the quest book! This thread is much more up to date https://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=6270&start=30

Spoilers included.

Highlights:
1) Mercenaries can be hired in group quests. (if you own an expansion that includes them)
2) unmarked chests now give a fixed gold amount.
3) elven bracers are actually found!
4) elven chainmail armor is a little more vague... it either can be used by any hero, or ONLY by the elf.
5) some extra gold is hidden in the quests.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Previous