• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

EU Format Quest Book which needs a proof read and testing...

Discuss Quests, Cards, Monsters etc, from the Elf Quest Pack: The Mage of the Mirror.

EU Format Quest Book which needs a proof read and testing...

Postby Credulous » November 29th, 2021, 6:50 pm

Hello all,

Long time Heroquest player, having got the UK first edition back in Christmas 89... just turned 40 so my life flies by. Receiving my Mythic Tier treat the other day has got me on another Heroquest passion peak :mrgreen:

Going to the retro version I have all the EU quest packs, and high quality metal copies of most of the Mage in the Mirror and all of the Frozen Horror models, but no intent to ever buy these ludicrously expensive packs. Instead I figure as an EU player I'd rather build my own in the EU style; EU box art, EU card style, EU quest books...

Sjeng has basically sorted out the cards for me (thanks Sjeng for your fine work here!), I've ordered the two American Questpack EU style boxes off the nice chap who regularly sells them on the Ye Olde Inn Facebook group, and I'm about 80% of the way through transcribing the NA Elf Quest book into EU style (Opening story and all quests now in EU format, just need to do upfront instructions and closing narrative plus QA. Frozen Horror to follow at a later date).

They are basically straight copies of the original Mage In the Mirror Quests, with some small changes such as:

i) No greenskins in the same rooms as undead - this is just not right and makes me die a little inside everytime I see it in these NA quest packs (whilst on this topic, which out of touch game 'designer' added 3 orcs to the start of Mellar's Maze for the US version, in an otherwise fully undead level? (something I only just discovered with the arrival of the Mythic Tier) - talk about missing the point of your subject matter :roll: )
ii) A tiny number of Ogre Warriors replaced with Ogre Champions and Ogre Chieftains (No Ogre Lord though - he is dead :D ).
iii) Thinking about whether some of those famous 'blank' treasure chests, should have the missing artefacts that never make an appearance in them? (I may have mis-remembered but I'm sure I read somewhere this was one of the bugs with this quest pack.
iv) Maybe doing a version with a body point track for the Ogres for those who prefer to play that way (otherwise using Phoenix body points).
v) Some edits to the starting and ending narrative style to try and get them up to the quality of the core game 'high fantasy' stuff.

Otherwise its basically the same pack.

Anyway I was seeking guidance and help from the community on:

i) Any bugs such as blank treasure chests and missing artefacts I should fix whilst I am here?
ii) Anyone willing to QA a near final version and point out any errors in the quest maps, or my spelling or grammar? (should hopefully be there in about a week or so).

Thanks in advance for any feedback or input.
Last edited by Credulous on November 29th, 2021, 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Credulous

Skeleton
Skeleton

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: EU Format Quest Book which needs a proof read and testin

Postby Kurgan » November 29th, 2021, 7:14 pm

Unmarked Treasure Chests thread...

EQP artifact locations (Elven Bracers were never given in the official version...) and BQP artifact locations (Armband of Ice is never given in the official version).

As for feedback, I'm sure you'll find many willing to do that. I will too depending upon how much time I have.

Just for fun... Reading the 1990 EU rules of play vs. 2021 Rulebook

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby falconNL » November 29th, 2021, 7:42 pm

Perfect! I have been working on exactly the same thing! But i was working on getting the booklet looking like the EU version, and not yet busy with the innards! If you want we can join forces ;) you know where to find me!
falconNL

Zombie
Zombie

Postby Credulous » November 29th, 2021, 7:44 pm

Thanks Kurgan appreciated. I am watching your rule book analysis.

When I have a good working draft I'll work out how to share (or how many posts I have to do before I am allowed attachments :) )
Credulous

Skeleton
Skeleton

Hero:

Postby Kurgan » November 29th, 2021, 7:49 pm

14 meaningful posts and you'll unlock champion status ;) Welcome!

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Credulous » November 30th, 2021, 7:38 am

Thanks again Kurgan. I shall try and make all my posts count!

And so people know I’m not just ignoring falconNL. We are in contact via direct message, as many hands makes light work!
Credulous

Skeleton
Skeleton

Hero:

Postby Credulous » December 1st, 2021, 4:50 am

Current draft for early review - not quite finished but not far off either. Hopefully will have incorporated remaining text by the weekend.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Credulous

Skeleton
Skeleton

Hero:

Postby Kurgan » December 1st, 2021, 4:00 pm

I like the draft so far! The EU style isn't what I grew up with but it has a unique character and looks more ancient and mythical...

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Credulous » December 3rd, 2021, 6:29 am

Latest draft....

Basic text now all in there.

Some design points for people to contribute on:

i) Have included text on 5 potions of healing per character as per ATOH. Given this is a very difficult quest pack, I thought this might be a good carry over from ATOH, but thoughts welcome? Maybe with the existing potion rules ported from NA version this is overkill?
ii) Need to sort out any blank treasure chests and decide what to do with them (this might include leaving them blank). Will need to refer to link Kurgan provided earlier in this thread.
iii) On quest Tomuk's Guests, I'm probably going to change the door leading into room A to be a secret one, which helps thematically with suddenly finding a load of undead in the next two rooms. Thoughts? Might do similar for room with tomb in bottom right corner as well.
iv) On quest Gliness Fen, I might make the door behind the Ogre in room F need the brass key to open (again to explain sudden transition to undead).
v) The Gathering Storm lots of undead-Ogre rooms. Pondering how to improve this thematically without changing the balance of the quest too much??!
vi) Hidden realms part i, ii = few awkward transitons between greenskins and undead but might just have to live with this, given how many changes would need to be made.
vii) proof read and page numbers on pg 14-34 need orientating.

Overall into fine tuning now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Credulous

Skeleton
Skeleton

Hero:

Postby Credulous » December 3rd, 2021, 6:31 am

Kurgan wrote:I like the draft so far! The EU style isn't what I grew up with but it has a unique character and looks more ancient and mythical...

Thanks Kurgan appreciated - and I agree with you on the EU style, the fonts, 'parchmenty' feel and black and white work well for me. Having said that so does NA style.

Thought I might as well give the community more options though given most people will be printing these quest books....
Credulous

Skeleton
Skeleton

Hero:

Next

Return to The Mage of the Mirror