• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Wall Bases and WOM Sprues

Discuss Quests, Cards, Monsters etc, from the Wizards of Morcar Quest Pack.

Wall Bases and WOM Sprues

Postby Kurgan » August 2nd, 2021, 8:16 pm

So I never owned this set back in the day, not being a resident of Merry Olde England. However, I had seen pictures on the Inn which appeared to depict the evil Wizards as being in black (in reality they were a kind of midnight blue, even darker than the Ogres in the EQP). But then there were the elusive "wall bases." I had gotten some 3d printed replicas of these that were in black (it was either that or gray). However it turns out I saw a picture on Ebay of someone selling them (for an absurdly large price of course) but they are on the same sprue tree as the wizards, meaning they are the same shade of blue!

Pics included. Also I was able to obtain some of the "Men at Arms" and see they are a blood red color, different from the color of the Heroes (I always figured it was the lighter red that the ATOH Ogres were, but no, it's more of a blood/brick red, compared to the ketchup red of the NA Heroes, different from the bright neon red of some of the European heroes). The NA miniatures seem to be darker colors in general (not counting the EQP/BQP that are a kind of pastel blue in all the pictures and videos I've seen and box shots). There were two sets of red mercs though, one for the Wizards of Morcar and another for the Hero Quest Advanced Edition set (with the Dark Company poster quest only released in the EU). So there might be another variation with a lighter red color.

And we all know about the infamous black minis released as beta-types (?) at conventions or taken home as souvenir from the factory but not sure if the wall bases ever had a black variant.

I guess there were different sprues as well (others have shown the "simpler" furniture pieces and such), but let's assume the below is a typical example for the Mercs, that would mean six sets of each type of weapon, for 12 mercs (if two sprues each in WOM and HQ: Advanced Edition). The BQP had gray mercs and fewer of them so I'm guessing 1 sprue with the same denominations.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Wall Bases and WOM Sprues

Postby HispaZargon » August 3rd, 2021, 2:24 am

Hi, I own a Spanish Edition of WoM expansion set since the 90s and I can confirm you that those colours and sprues content are the same as in my original set.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
Librarian-Analyst
HispaZargon
Inn's Guardian

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: Español
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby lestodante » August 3rd, 2021, 9:18 am

man-at-arms sprues are the same featured in the BQP (grey).
The WOM/Dark company Men-at-Arms are brown or red. As for the heroes the pigments of color in the plastic may slighty vary causing small differences in the tones.
The four evil Wizards are in dark blue like the Ogre Command group in Against the Ogre Horde. And also with the brown Ogres I have noticed slighty variations in the colors.
The 3D printed wall stands are totally different from the original pieces, they've been resculpted to look similar but are different.
The pic below can show some color variants for the heroes.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby HispaZargon » August 3rd, 2021, 10:04 am

lestodante wrote:The four evil Wizards are in dark blue like the Ogre Command group in Against the Ogre Horde. And also with the brown Ogres I have noticed slighty variations in the colors.

About Against the Ogre Horde set miniatures colours, I found some days ago this advertisement. I am quite surprised about this (maybe) manufacturing deviation which switched the official ogres colours as follows:

Ogre Warriors in Dark Blue:
Screenshot_20210804-170949_eBay.jpg

Ogre Bosses in Dark Red:
Screenshot_20210803-155642_eBay.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by HispaZargon on August 4th, 2021, 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
Librarian-Analyst
HispaZargon
Inn's Guardian

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: Español
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » August 4th, 2021, 11:00 am

I'd seen red variants of the "Ogre Bosses" before, but not such a nice photo! A mix-up at the factory would be pretty easy to understand, or maybe it was a standard variant in some territories! A lot of toys for time immemorial have said on the boxes "colors may vary."

Variants of the Ogres also exist in Gray, according to photos I've seen (not just painted). I'm guessing there are black versions of all of the figures out there somewhere.

I was going to use the "red" figures as hire-able mercs and the black and gray/blue for bad guys (or npcs). Then again the colors could also be used to distinguish who belongs to whom (I've still got the colored tokens for that purpose though).

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Return to Wizards of Morcar