• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Too hard of a quest?

Discuss Quests, Cards, Monsters etc, from the Wizards of Morcar Quest Pack.

Too hard of a quest?

Postby mo123813 » June 11th, 2010, 9:56 pm

Hello all! I know I've posted on this one quest pack already and all, but man, is this one hard quest pack. It's ridiculous!!! I mean Cmon! Lightning bolt kills my heroes everytime. Death bolt is crazy strong, and the orc shaman kicks too much butt; this quest pack is mad-crazy strong! These four sorcerers could kill Zargon himself if they wanted to with their power! And don't even get me STARTED about the very last quest; where you fight them all. They never make it (My heroes I mean) They love the idea, but hate the actual battles! Any idea on how to tone it down? It seems overpowered to me.
Check out my new character: Halfling! I promise you will consider using it!
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=405
Remember, if you run out of dice,
3/4/5 = skulls
1/2 = white shields
6 = black shields
mo123813

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Too hard of a quest?

Postby drathe » June 12th, 2010, 12:18 am

What version rules do you play? North American, or European?

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Lord
drathe
The Bastiferous!

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby mo123813 » June 12th, 2010, 9:22 am

drathe wrote:What version rules do you play? North American, or European?

My title is "Wizards of Zargon" so is it European then?
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=405
3/4/5 = skulls
1/2 = white shields
6 = black shields
mo123813

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Usergroups:

Postby drathe » June 12th, 2010, 3:35 pm

I was actually meaning the basic rules. As in, multiple body points for Monsters (North American Rule), use of artifacts, chaos spells, etc. If you're using NA rules, then yes, it is very difficult. Best played by experienced heroes who have ventured the game system, kellar's keep, witch lord and ogre horde already. They should have enough loot and equipment by then to make it through safely, although it will still be a challenge. But every person playing a hero is different. Some people just have bad luck and get smoked at every turn. Then you just play according to their skills. Dumb down the monster types and/or numbers. Also, don't use multiple wandering monsters unless they're goblins. In that case, only use two goblins. Everything else is just too much. Think about it... 3 Chaos Warriors? Seriously? Even the Barbarian is likely to die from that. I don't believe the Ogre Horde, Wizards of Morcar/Zargon, Mage of the Mirror, or Frozen Horror were ever play tested before hitting the market.

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Lord
drathe
The Bastiferous!

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby mo123813 » June 12th, 2010, 4:06 pm

I totally agree! They are ridiculous, though they are possible. I have completed them all. Yes to answer you question, I play by North American rules. We played yesterday and I did dumb down, and it was still hard for them. But boy, were they happy when that darn Orc Shaman went down!

3 Chaos warriors...I remember my brother being next to startled when I put the first one on the board. Then I put the second one and my uncle chuckled. Then the third one and they almost quit! Maybe when I finish my Wizard expansion, I'll make a "newby" version of the quest pack.
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=405
3/4/5 = skulls
1/2 = white shields
6 = black shields
mo123813

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Usergroups:

Postby HeroQuestFrance » March 22nd, 2011, 3:33 pm

My players have finished it last month.
They were victorious but some of them died but the wizard could rez them in extremis and the game became stressing when they were fighting each sorceer. The last quest was nice, even if the 4 sorceers were opening doors, they have defeated one by one using all magic potions and artefact powers... they also killed all other mobs so ...
Yep european or american version are impossible to play.
So I played my own remake.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
HeroQuestFrance

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Fullork345 » November 10th, 2013, 9:25 pm

Is the quest pack that hard? The game seems easy when the Herod work together and are fully geared, I play the us edition.
Fullork345

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Just_Will » July 3rd, 2016, 3:58 pm

It's been a long time since I played this expansion (almost 20 years maybe) but so long as the heroes and mercenaries stick together and take it one room at a time, I would think it would be quite beatable. Maybe I'm wrong and it's just been too long since I last played.
Just_Will

Zombie
Zombie

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » May 10th, 2019, 11:20 am

I don't think it's that hard either... I just playtested through it... although i did use an expanded Treasure Deck (which, admittedly would reduce all the Wandering Monster cards) and additional spell sets for the Wizard. Just the same when heroes are up to 4 or 5 defense dice, asides from a lucky orc, only the Chaos Warriors and Gargoyle seems to be formidable. I even gave Zargon's wizards more powerful spells and changed the rules of the Fireburst Trap.
Sure, all the Mercenaries died nearly every quest, but the heroes had enough potions to prevent any situation from being too dire.
Maybe mo was playing without mercenaries...

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » January 25th, 2020, 4:41 pm

I was hoping by the time my heroes get to this quest they'll be "upgraded" according to my system and maybe stand half a chance. I even considered though if they were TOO powerful that the Sorcerers could just defend with Blue dice (same as defending with white shields) but only against non-magical attacks.. [Link fixed!!!]

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Next