• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

How Many Men At Arms should I get?

Discuss Quests, Cards, Monsters etc, from the Wizards of Morcar Quest Pack.

Re: How Many Men At Arms should I get?

Postby QorDaq » April 5th, 2015, 10:03 am

knightkrawler wrote:Do you allow them for The Frozen Horror only or for any quest?

So the way we did it "Back in the day" was that once the party started FH, then they could hire mercs from that point on. Pretty much all the additions were handled that way in fact... Including Armory add ons, potions etc, once players had encountered it for the first time it would become available from then on.

maj!
maj! = Klingon word for "Good". Used in the context of "I approve".

- vay' DaneHbogh yIchargh!
QorDaq

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby knightkrawler » April 5th, 2015, 11:16 am

Yeah, I'll probably do the same.
As i'll plan to rewrite the Wizards of Morcar quests to be split among other quest packs and successions, I need to pick a point
OR
better yet, I'll just make it a quest note individually for those quests where it's possible to hire mercs.
Hmmm...
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:

Postby QorDaq » April 5th, 2015, 2:38 pm

knightkrawler wrote:Yeah, I'll probably do the same.
As i'll plan to rewrite the Wizards of Morcar quests to be split among other quest packs and successions, I need to pick a point
OR
better yet, I'll just make it a quest note individually for those quests where it's possible to hire mercs.
Hmmm...

Either of those could certainly work.

I suppose if someone were really motivated, they might come up with a formula for beefing up some of the encounters based on how many Hierlings the party decided to conscript?

Kind of starts to defeat the purpose of simple though...

maj!
maj! = Klingon word for "Good". Used in the context of "I approve".

- vay' DaneHbogh yIchargh!
QorDaq

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby MontanaUSA » March 25th, 2017, 12:41 pm

So are there also certain treasure cards kept out of the treasure deck until heros have reached a certain point, or certain expansion?
MontanaUSA

Goblin
Goblin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » March 25th, 2017, 1:17 pm

MontanaUSA wrote:So are there also certain treasure cards kept out of the treasure deck until heros have reached a certain point, or certain expansion?

There's really no need to sort cards out for that reason.
WoM came with 8 treasure cards, 1 of which worked only when you allow the players to hire, but that's not a problem. Just let the player keep it until he can hire.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Jafazo » March 25th, 2017, 6:00 pm

- Deleted, old topic. -
Unless you specify your version I'm going by the US rules.
Jafazo

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Hero:
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » April 12th, 2017, 2:48 pm

QorDaq wrote:...I suppose if someone were really motivated, they might come up with a formula for beefing up some of the encounters based on how many Hierlings the party decided to conscript?

I have something that might work from this topic, although the monsters don't need to be beefed up. Blue text was added to make the house rule work for Mercenaries:

Daedalus wrote:
    Order of Play

Play begins with the Hero seated to Morcar/Zargon's left and continues clockwise. After the Hero(es)* have completed four turns (skipping M/Z's turn should it come up), it is M/Z's turn. On his turn, M/Z may move all monsters currently on the gameboard. Then the order begins anew, continuing clockwise from the last Hero* to have a turn. This sequence continues until the Quest is achieved or until the Heroes leave the underworld.
*If any Mercenaries are used, count each as having its own turn,
though they are still played after the controlling Hero.

...For groups of 5 or more Heroes, remove 1 Potion of Healing from the Treasure Cards for each extra Hero. Remove pairs of other potions after that. Extra Mercenaries remove half as many potions.

It should be kept in mind that the expansions after KK and RotWL already account for Mercenaries, so they are probably fine as is. Extra Mercenaries needn't be counted until perhaps after 8. As I haven't played the Mercenary expansions yet, that's only an educated guess.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Anderas » April 12th, 2017, 3:01 pm

QorDaq wrote:
knightkrawler wrote:Yeah, I'll probably do the same.
OR
Hmmm...

Either of those could certainly work.

I suppose if someone were really motivated, they might come up with a formula for beefing up some of the encounters based on how many Hierlings the party decided to conscript?

maj!

Like, my four colored Questbook?
Currently I am working on Kellar's Keep.

In the end, you can use either my Questbook with a rough four step approach or you use Mohawks Questimator yourself and make it exactly fitting.

Don't restrict mercenaries. They die easily and are a good gold sink. Especially the wizard has something he can spend his gold on, plus he is more active in play if he brings some hirelings.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » April 12th, 2017, 3:55 pm

Yeah, I thought about your and Count Mohawk's systems as well. Your color-coded system depends on the Heroes' combat dice values. How would you suggest adjusting a Hero's dice sum with his Mercenaries?
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » April 12th, 2017, 4:53 pm

MontanaUSA wrote:So are there also certain treasure cards kept out of the treasure deck until heros have reached a certain point, or certain expansion?

I'd say the safest, across-the-board bet would be to hold off on expansion-specific Treasure Cards until the expansion is played. Cards that present problems outside of their expansions (though rules could be imported):
WoM: Magical Trap (needs Fireburst token and rules), Potion of Charm (needs Mercenary rules and figures), Potion of Alchemy (depending on equipment, EQP and BQP later allow equivalent selling anyway), Potion of Magic Resistance (without Fireburst traps, it needs foreknowledge or lucky guess of a fire attack)
EQP: Treasure Hoard! (300 gold coins could upset early progression), Wolfsbane Potion (use is specific for the EQP)
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:

PreviousNext

Return to Wizards of Morcar