• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

My Ogre stats

Discuss Quests, Cards, Monsters etc, from the Against the Ogre Horde Quest Pack.

My Ogre stats

Postby lestodante » April 6th, 2023, 11:00 am

So, we all agree the variable BP system is a bit odd.
I am reworking the Ogre stats but also considering the EQP Ogre (new one). There are a couple of posts about Ogre stats already, but no one was considering this.
In the remake, they reduced the BP of this ogre from 10 to 5, which is a good thing in my opinion, as it was really overpowered.
Also the ogre pictured on the new 2022 version of the card (in the EQP) is looking more like an Ogre Chieftain than an Ogre Warrior: same weapon, same hairstyle. He is missing the chainmailed spiked fist but he has a spiked shoulder plate attached with a chain. So much common points for me!
Also his stats are more similar to the Ogre Chieftain, with just the exception of a lower defense (4 dice instead of 6).
Going back to the ATOH questbook, we can notice the first (and only) Ogre Warrior in quest 1 has 4 Body Points; I set 4 as a starting reference value for Ogre Body Points. Progressing through the other quests, we can meet more Ogre Warriors featuring 2,3 or 4 Body Points. Occasionaly this value is 5 (but usually when there is a Champion or a Chieftain on the map) and even 1 single BP value occurrs sometimes. I was tempted to set an average score of 3 BP for the Warriors, but I left 4 instead because I still want them to be though monsters even if they are the lower level of the Ogre range. Anyway, I preferred to downgrade to 4 his attack value. This is because his rudimental weapon (just a big staff with a spike set on it) is surely less dangerous than the axe owned by the Ogre Champion. It creates a substancial difference beetween the Warrior and the Champion, which are identical in their original release.
I didn't change the stats for the Ogre Champion, and for the body points I set a value of 4 again. He looks like dressed as the warrior, not valid armor to justify an upgrade in his defence, but has a better weapon so he can preserve his 5 dice in attack.
Now, the Chieftain; as for the Champion, we didn't see any clear reference inside the questbook about his body points. But considering the ogre card in the Elf Quest Pack (as ayd before, it looks like a chieftain from ATOH), I think his BP are good at 5. He has the same weapon of an Ogre Champion but can count on his spiked ironfist too! So his attack value of 6 is well justified. I set BP at 5, as in the EQP, it is a good improvement for someone that passed from Champion to Chieftain. For Defence, I was considering both 5 or 6 values. I think I will use 5. It is higher than a Champion, it can be because of the chainmail around the left arm and also he has 1 more body point than the previous 2 ogres. It's the only different value I used from the EQP ogre but can be justified by his "chieftain" role in this pack too. Also I didn't want to make the Chieftain too much similar to the Ogre Lord. In the original questbook the only difefrence is made by Mind Points.
The Ogre Lord is left as the original, he has 5 Body points in the questbook and I didn't change it.
For movement, I left the original value to all of them. Chieftain and Lord are probably occupying a better position in the ogre society so they eat more food and are a little slower than the other two.

(The Total A in the table is the sum of all the character stats while Total B is not considering their movement.)
new ogre stats.jpg

And for reference, the new Ogre card from MOTM:
ogre_motm2023.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: My Ogre stats

Postby Kurgan » April 6th, 2023, 12:38 pm

Nice.

I know nobody seems to like variable body points, but how about just rolling 1d6 to find out how many BP each ogre you meet has? (granted, it's messy, now you have to keep track of them all).

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby lestodante » April 6th, 2023, 12:49 pm

it can be confusing with a lot of ogres in the room to remember which one has rolled 3 and which one rolled 6.
Also if a six is rolled is too much boody points for an ogre warrior.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby HispaZargon » April 6th, 2023, 1:14 pm

Without looking to their miniatures, these are the vanilla and incremental Ogre stats I defined for and adaptation of AtOH to be played with the remake, attending to the new Body Points values of Mage of the Mirror ogre warriors and AtOH classic ones, even their infamous Body Points bars:

- Ogre Warrior: M6 AD5 DD5 BP5 MP1
- Ogre Champion: M6 AD5 DD5 BP6 MP1
- Ogre Chieftain: M4 AD6 DD6 BP6 MP2
- Ogre Lord: M4 AD6 DD6 BP7 MP5

However, it is true that maybe those stats should be revised for better fit with the rest of Monsters. For me is quite difficult to accept an Ogre with 7 BPs and a Black Dragon with just 5 BPs... something similar about the Attack and Defence sice stats, they are quite high compared with a full armoured and trained Chaos Warrior or Gargoyle, for example. The only practical way I could take to understand it is considering the HeroQuest Ogres are some kind of Giants.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
Librarian-Analyst
HispaZargon
Inn's Guardian

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: Español
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby lestodante » April 6th, 2023, 1:20 pm

HispaZargon wrote:Ogre Warrior: M6 AD5 DD5 BP5 MP1 (same as MoM remake)

MOTM Ogres have M4 AD6 DD4 BP5 MP2

Rewards:
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby HispaZargon » April 6th, 2023, 1:26 pm

lestodante wrote:
HispaZargon wrote:Ogre Warrior: M6 AD5 DD5 BP5 MP1 (same as MoM remake)

MOTM Ogres have M4 AD6 DD4 BP5 MP2

You are right, corrected.
I just took the AtOH ones but taking the new BPs from MotM.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
Librarian-Analyst
HispaZargon
Inn's Guardian

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: Español
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby QorDaq » April 6th, 2023, 4:29 pm

I dig the idea, and also am curious how or if, AH will do this should they update AotOH for the latest version of HQ.

I know I've seen Ogre stat cards in the past (pre 2021), but I don't have them in front of me at the moment. I may be thinking of the NA conversion for AotOH from Phoenix?

Anyway, how do these compare to those cards?
maj! = Klingon word for "Good". Used in the context of "I approve".

- vay' DaneHbogh yIchargh!
QorDaq

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby lestodante » April 12th, 2023, 3:26 pm

here are the stats used by Phoenix:

ogrestatsbyphoenix.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rewards:
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Kurgan » April 14th, 2023, 11:38 am

It wouldn't be THAT confusing when you consider there are only going to be four Ogre warrior models to put on the board (unless you're adding dozens and dozens of them I suppose), right?

So it's no more difficult to manage than if you wanted to give your four Chaos Warriors different stats in a quest (or maybe your four skeletons if you were only using the game system monsters and not adding in the extras from ROTWL). One doesn't need to create custom "Heroclix" style bases for all of them to make it work...

There's only one each of the Ogre Champion, Chieftan and Lord, too. Then again some people don't like to keep track of things, then again we have character sheets & Pencils, so why not? It's just a couple of numbers. Zargon may not be constantly scribbling notes, but the heroes are writing stuff down every turn just about as they lose/add body (and more rarely mind) points, treasures, etc.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Return to Against the Ogre Horde