• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Falling Block Traps in UK version

Discuss Quests, Cards, Monsters etc, from the Against the Ogre Horde Quest Pack.

Re: Falling Block Traps in UK version

Postby Kurgan » Wednesday July 7th, 2021 5:56pm

Natural sprinters... over short distances! :dwarf:

Maybe a new piece of equipment, The Dwarven Pickaxe, could allow you to dig your way through a fallen block trap. The only problem is it would break a couple of odd quests where the "blocked way" is intentional. I guess in those cases you just say it's a "magical falling block trap" that can't be budged by the Pick Axe.


Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
User avatar
Kurgan

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin
 
Posts: 2475
Images: 76
Joined: Saturday February 23rd, 2019 7:08pm
Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Falling Block Traps in UK version

Postby iKarith » Wednesday July 7th, 2021 9:07pm

Kurgan wrote:Natural sprinters... over short distances! :dwarf:

Maybe a new piece of equipment, The Dwarven Pickaxe, could allow you to dig your way through a fallen block trap. The only problem is it would break a couple of odd quests where the "blocked way" is intentional. I guess in those cases you just say it's a "magical falling block trap" that can't be budged by the Pick Axe.


That's why the US version has wall tiles vs. fallen rock tiles. In which case you could simply say that with proper tools, loose rubble could be cleared quickly. But carving new passages through solid rock is neither quick nor easy!
Milton Bradley: "So guys, everyone knows about orcs, goblins and mummies and stuff, but what about these 'fimirs' we're putting in the game? Tell me all about them!"

Games Workshop: "Uhhhhhhhhhhh...."
User avatar
Web Mage
iKarith

Elven Archer
Elven Archer
 
Posts: 520
Joined: Sunday February 14th, 2021 12:42pm
Location: Portlandia
Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:

Re: Falling Block Traps in UK version

Postby Kurgan » Thursday July 8th, 2021 8:55am

It's easier with Blasting Powder, but then there are always those pesky cave-ins...


Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
User avatar
Kurgan

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin
 
Posts: 2475
Images: 76
Joined: Saturday February 23rd, 2019 7:08pm
Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: Falling Block Traps in UK version

Postby iKarith » Saturday July 10th, 2021 7:07pm

Kurgan wrote:It's easier with Blasting Powder, but then there are always those pesky cave-ins...


Blasting powder … Dwarf may place the stuff into a tripped rock trap as his action. Mark this space. On his next or a subsequent turn, he may light the fuse if he is within 1 square of it (action or free action?), at which point he's advised to haul ass to safety. Roll 1CD, on :skull:, :whiteshield:, the space is cleared and anyone within 5 squares line of sight takes a 2CD attack. (flying rocks) Defend as usual.

On :blackshield: the EWP places a new fallen rock tile on the board adjacent to where the blasting powder was used, preferably the square the dwarf used the powder, after resolving attacks as above.

Cost? Like 350GP. May be used as a projectile weapon (no need for a turn to set it) in which case it makes a 2CD attack on a single target up to 5 squares away. Similar to wizard's ball of flame except physical attack, limited range, and doesn't send rocks or other things flying at nearby targets.

Could non-dwarves use it? As a projectile, sure. To clear a rock fall, maybe they fail if they roll either shield?
Milton Bradley: "So guys, everyone knows about orcs, goblins and mummies and stuff, but what about these 'fimirs' we're putting in the game? Tell me all about them!"

Games Workshop: "Uhhhhhhhhhhh...."
User avatar
Web Mage
iKarith

Elven Archer
Elven Archer
 
Posts: 520
Joined: Sunday February 14th, 2021 12:42pm
Location: Portlandia
Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:

Re: Falling Block Traps in UK version

Postby Davane » Sunday July 11th, 2021 7:04am

iKarith wrote:
Kurgan wrote:It's easier with Blasting Powder, but then there are always those pesky cave-ins...


Blasting powder … Dwarf may place the stuff into a tripped rock trap as his action. Mark this space. On his next or a subsequent turn, he may light the fuse if he is within 1 square of it (action or free action?), at which point he's advised to haul ass to safety. Roll 1CD, on :skull:, :whiteshield:, the space is cleared and anyone within 5 squares line of sight takes a 2CD attack. (flying rocks) Defend as usual.

On :blackshield: the EWP places a new fallen rock tile on the board adjacent to where the blasting powder was used, preferably the square the dwarf used the powder, after resolving attacks as above.

Cost? Like 350GP. May be used as a projectile weapon (no need for a turn to set it) in which case it makes a 2CD attack on a single target up to 5 squares away. Similar to wizard's ball of flame except physical attack, limited range, and doesn't send rocks or other things flying at nearby targets.

Could non-dwarves use it? As a projectile, sure. To clear a rock fall, maybe they fail if they roll either shield?


Blasting Powder should be used in a single turn, as an action. :skull: Ciritial Failure (Failure for Dwarf); :whiteshield: Failure (Success for Dwarf) :blackshield: Success (Critical Success for Dwarf).

CF: Cave In - Add 1d6+1 extra Fallen Rock tiles, each adjacent to the target Fallen Rock tile, or if not possible, adjacent to any other Fallen Rock tile placed by this effect. All characters in affected squares are affected as if they had triggered a Falling Rock trap in their space.
F: Blast - Everyone within 5 squares of the target Fallen Rock tile takes a 1 CD attack.
S: Cleared - Target Fallen Rock tile is cleared, but everyone within an adjacent square to the tile takes a 1 CD attack.
CS: Expert Job - Target Fallen Rock tile is cleared.

Principle: Only Dwarf can use Blasting Powder safely, and knows enough to avoid causing extra cave ins...

I would complement this with the Pick, which takes an action, and can remove a Fallen Rock tile on a :whiteshield: (:skull: for Dwarf; :blackshield: for Wizard).

Principle: digging with the Pick WILL succeed, but takes time, represented by the variable chance of success.
"The HeroQuest World is loosely based on the Warhammer World which is the copyright of Games Workshop and is used by their permission."

HeroQuest Combined English Edition Rule Book (HQ CERB)
User avatar
Davane

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman
 
Posts: 395
Joined: Wednesday January 8th, 2020 8:05am
Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:

Re: Falling Block Traps in UK version

Postby Daedalus » Wednesday September 15th, 2021 12:33pm

No discussion involving the fast removal of fallen blocks is complete without Anderas' contribution. :dwarf:

Image
..
UNCLE ZARGON
Image
WANTS.. YOU


Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard
 
Posts: 3926
Images: 14
Joined: Monday May 9th, 2011 2:31pm
Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Previous

Return to Against the Ogre Horde

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 0 guests