• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Map error on Q7

Discuss Quests, Cards, Monsters etc, from the Against the Ogre Horde Quest Pack.

Map error on Q7

Postby Sotiris » July 28th, 2018, 5:11 am

If you check the whole map of Quest 7: Flight to the Surface (or better play it) you'll notice the designer's intention to not put dead ends, so the heroes may find the exit without being trapped by the endless Orcs.
I'm pretty sure that this secret door should be there and that it's not just a typo.
My new unpublished boardgame on Tabletopia free platform:
https://tabletopia.com/games/stellar_omega

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Sotiris

Necromancer
Necromancer

Forum Language: Ελληνικά
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Map error on Q7

Postby Anderas » July 28th, 2018, 6:54 am

Is it from the forum PDF or from Phoenix? I agree with you that looks odd.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby Sotiris » July 28th, 2018, 9:06 am

Anderas wrote:Is it from the forum PDF or from Phoenix? I agree with you that looks odd.

It is from the forum's pdf, but all maps are wrong.
My EU questbook, Phoenix's NA version and Ye Olde Inn's EU pdf have placed the secret door as shown in the image.
The Ye Olde Inn's remastered NA version erased the typo but didn't put the secret door on the right place. So the dead end remains.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Sotiris

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby knightkrawler » July 28th, 2018, 10:23 am

Since the room to the right of where the secret door is printed is unused, I'm gonna concur with your assessment.
Seems a logical solution and it's a one-step-mistake: one room too far to the right of the map as opposed to something like one wall too far right and too far to the bottom, if you know what I mean.

Heh... too far right. What a political discussion this would kick off inadvertently among certain people...
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby lestodante » July 28th, 2018, 1:48 pm

There is the same mistake in the Italian questbook.
It is possible that the secret doors should not be there but also that the room was shaded dark for mistake.
I don't really see the need to change anything, if the Heroes enter the room it is just empty. We don't always have to be generous with the heroes, so if they will enter in the room with 3 orcs and 1 ogre, they will have to come back and find another way to reach the exit door.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Sotiris » July 29th, 2018, 4:50 am

lestodante wrote:...so if they will enter in the room with 3 orcs and 1 ogre, they will have to come back and find another way to reach the exit door.

It is impossible to come back. Orcs are entering all the time. When i played it with my group,
new heroes replaced the dead ones so to finish that 5 hours quest...and i used only the game system's 8 orcs.
It's not a matter of generosity, it's a matter of quest concept here.

Rewards:
Sotiris

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby The Admiral » July 29th, 2018, 5:26 am

In this case, dead end is quite an appropriate description.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby lestodante » July 30th, 2018, 4:39 pm

Sotiris wrote:It is impossible to come back. Orcs are entering all the time.

In this case if there are always monsters the Heroes can't even search for secret doors. :mrgreen:

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Anderas » July 31st, 2018, 4:17 am

Put the other way round... the heroes have to become positively door blocking. :lol:

No, I agree that this quest is not a very good quest (book). Dead ends become death traps, so one must take care that there shall be no ends, only loops.
Additionally, even if the heroes took some mercenaries into the first quest, they would be long-since dead by quest 7, so they have to do all the search actions themselves.
Last, there are on several occasions in the quest book falling block traps that block the only door to a room. In quest 2, it's only with luck and pass through rock if more than one hero comes out of the quest. I mean, do they really expect heroes to jump the first square after a door, routinely, everywhere?
In the EU version, the door can be blocked, but the falling block trap is triggered by stepping on one field north of the door. So there might be some more heroes more coming out of that quest.

If I (ever) get around to redesign this book, there would be some things changed for sure.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby Pancho » July 31st, 2018, 3:22 pm

I think that ATOH is a really good quest pack overall, but it does require a dilligent and experienced Morcar to iron out some of the errors in the quests. It's a similar deal with FH & MOTM.

I'd be pretty annoyed if my Hero had hacked his way through an entire Ogre Horde and defeated the Chaos sorcerers leading them, only to get killed whilst journeying back to the surface due to a map error.

Rewards:
Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges.
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Next

Return to Against the Ogre Horde